• 2 months later...

The fact that every adult did not attack the cops for being fucking bastards is a sign.

The police were clearly in the wrong here, but I think it's more important to address this "ADHD" thing. A few years ago, my son was exhibiting all the signs of this made-up illness. He couldn't focus, lashed out physically against adults and other kids, etc. Tszura and I developed a system of clearly defined and simple rules that he had to follow, as well as a consistent disciplinary plan. We set clear boundaries. We worked with him and taught him the skills necessary to focus and explained to him in terms a four-year-old could understand the reasons behind the rules he was being made to follow. I know it's hard to believe, but we actually did our job as parents, and lo and behold: it worked. At the age of 6, he is a well-adjusted and ridiculously well-behaved (not to mention happy) child. All this was accomplished with neither corporeal punishment nor psychoactive drugs.

It is my opinion that children are diagnosed as having ADHD (a psychobabble term meaning "rambunctious child"), given drugs, and the parents think that there's nothing that they can do because it's a medical condition. Parents love it, because it absolves them of the responsibility of actually being expected to raise the children properly; teachers love it because the drugs turn the children into passive zombies; pharmaceutical companies love it because it means huge profits; the government loves it because the ramifications of the "disease" gives it more excuses to intrude upon our personal lives. The only losers are the children of intellectually lazy parents and it's a goddamn shame.