Favorite restaurants

Guest greyhalo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greyhalo

So, is anyone interested in having a DGN dine-out day at one of these fine establishments? I think it cound be fun, and you might end up discovering a new favorite.

I know DGNers are scattered all over the metro area, but I'm willing to drive a distance. Anyone else?

So, is anyone interested in having a DGN dine-out day at one of these fine establishments? I think it cound be fun, and you might end up discovering a new favorite.

I know DGNers are scattered all over the metro area, but I'm willing to drive a distance. Anyone else?

I'd be up for it! Unless, of course, they don't have anything on the menu that I can eat.... damn my digestive tract!

BD's Mongolian BBQ would be a good place. They have lots of central locations. There is something palatable for everyone, as each person is responsible for their own stir-fry combination. Every domestic meat, seafood, meat alternative, veggie, sauce, oil, and spice imaginable is on the buffet. :) Even peelingchrome (with his delicate inners) would be able to eat there, I'm sure.

BD's Mongolian BBQ would be a good place. They have lots of central locations. There is something palatable for everyone, as each person is responsible for their own stir-fry combination. Every domestic meat, seafood, meat alternative, veggie, sauce, oil, and spice imaginable is on the buffet. :) Even peelingchrome (with his delicate inners) would be able to eat there, I'm sure.

Good call! Count me in!

Guest greyhalo

OK, pardon my French, but fuck that place. It might be OK if you're a meat-eater. But, those idiots always mess up my tofu. First of all, those dopey college guys who hang around the communal grill, flipping your food around with two big sticks, are not real cooks. They stir fry everything like it's the same ingredient, which is not the case. They barely even look at the food when they're cooking it. They keep smiling at you, chatting, and looking over at the tip jar so you'll get the hint. In the meantime, my soy is falling apart and burning. Bastards!

Sure, I wouldnt mind meeting you guys there sometime...

OK, pardon my French, but fuck that place. It might be OK if you're a meat-eater. But, those idiots always mess up my tofu. First of all, those dopey college guys who hang around the communal grill, flipping your food around with two big sticks, are not real cooks. They stir fry everything like it's the same ingredient, which is not the case. They barely even look at the food when they're cooking it. They keep smiling at you, chatting, and looking over at the tip jar so you'll get the hint. In the meantime, my soy is falling apart and burning. Bastards!

I'm usually not the sort to get snooty and elitist about a restaurant, but I was lucky enough in college to have gone quite often to a real Mongolian place in NY with real Mongolians working there. It's not that I wouldn't eat at BD's. I have eaten there and didn't really ahve complaints, but d00des, they are way off the original mark.

It's also filled with college d00dz. I don't like college d00dz. They're full of "know everything" and they like dumb bands.

I don't know how I forgot about this place, but my memory has been refreshed, since the incredible meal I ate there last night!

On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina!!!!!

If you love spicy, well-seasoned foods, with plenty of variety and fresh flair thrown in, YOU MUST TRY THIS RESTAURANT!! The prices are reasonable, and the service is excellent!!

On Monday nights at the Novi location, they have a football season happy hour special in the bar section, where house margaritas and all appetizers are HALF-OFF(!!!) and there's a free taco bar one can partake of, after purchasing one alcoholic drink. The margaritas are $2.50 for a small, $3.50 for a large. Appetizers with the discount end up around four bucks apiece.

We ordered drinks and an appetizer, put in our dinner orders, and raided the taco bar before our food came. Our bill for two was under 40 bucks, with drinks (not bad for a lavish dinner); we left our server, Nick (highly recommended), a 15 dollar tip.

Olé, On The Border!!! :) Five stars out of 5!!!

Would anyone be interested in a monthly Monday night happy hour pow-wow here?

Edited by jynxxxedangel

Guest greyhalo

I don't know how I forgot about this place, but my memory has been refreshed, since the incredible meal I ate there last night!

If you love spicy, well-seasoned foods, with plenty of variety and fresh flair thrown in, YOU MUST TRY THIS RESTAURANT!! The prices are reasonable, and the service is excellent!!

On Monday nights at the Novi location, they have a football season happy hour special in the bar section, where house margaritas and all appetizers are HALF-OFF(!!!) and there's a free taco bar one can partake of, after purchasing one alcoholic drink. The margaritas are $2.50 for a small, $3.50 for a large. Appetizers with the discount end up around four bucks apiece.

We ordered drinks and an appetizer, put in our dinner orders, and raided the taco bar before our food came. Our bill for two was under 40 bucks, with drinks (not bad for a lavish dinner); we left our server, Nick (highly recommended), a 15 dollar tip.

Thanks for mentioning this place. I've haven't been to the one in Novi, but I love the one in Auburn Hills by Great Lakes Crossing. The build-your-own burrito menu rocks. I'd totally be up for meeting some folks there.

Bump!

Is anyone interested in going to On The Border in Novi this evening for football, margaritas and the taco bar? I'll be there.

Where else can one go for stiff $2.50 margaritas and free tacos? :biggrin:

Guest greyhalo

Bump!

Is anyone interested in going to On The Border in Novi this evening for football, margaritas and the taco bar? I'll be there.

I can't tonight, but I would love to on another Monday. That place has great food and margaritas! We could try to make it a DGN get-together dinner...?

Bump!

If I wasn't going to Necto tonight I would consider it. Maybe some other time.

• 2 weeks later...

Al Oumara Middle Eastern Restaurant in West Bloomfield Al Oumara Menu

My girl and I love this place too! Last time we went there they were hosting a private engagement party and they still served us! The party there was off the hook. People were being carried around on chairs, music was blaring (kinda sounded like house music mixed with middle eastern). People were gettin 'faced!

Obviously this is a rare occaision, but, yeah. Chicken shawarma FTW!

For a special dinner I like Boodles on 11 Mile at I-75, yummy! I've been there several times and their Filet Mignon is so tender and succulent your mouth waters at the scent. I've also enjoyed the Chateau Briand, it was outstanding and cooked to perfection. Great wine selection, too, for those who enjoy a bit of vino with their meal.

For more laid back meals, I really like Sangria's in Royal Oak and Mexican Village Restaurant in Utica. Nom nom nom!

PS - my daughter wants me to add that she loves California Pizza Kitchen.

the fly trap in ferndale

YES!

This was the #1 place I was going to list if nobody listed it already. This place is THE JAM! Gourmet quality food in a diner atmosphere at a reasonable price. What more can you ask for?? A smoking section & beer maybe, but, whatever.

I tell everybody I know about this place. OH, and if you guys like hot sauce, they make their own. It's called "Spot Sauce". It's carrot-based. I know that may sound odd but, it's friggin awesome. The sell it too. I always keep a bottle in my fridge.

Their menu is not that big, but, everything... seriously EVERYTHING on the menu is awesome.

Oh, and I totally wanna steal the painting of the scientists burning the ant.

Bump!

I happen to love football, drinks, and mexican food so OBVIOUSLY I would love to go some Mondays! This is right in my 'hood too.

Tonight I'm working OT but normally I'm out @ 7:30 so I'd be mobile around 8:30. What time is the happy hour deal??