...who watches the Watchmen?....

God damn. They better do a good job, this is one of my few sacred cow graphic novels / full comic story arcs that I'll not just roll over and go "meh... hollywood screwed us again." :p

They've done just about everything else though, not much left of the uber top-teir american tipy-topic classic graphic novels/miniseries left.

Previous Sacred Cows:

Sin City (Done)

The Dark Knight Returns (sorta done if you wana call it that)

The Watchmen (Soon to be done)

Electra Assassin (Done.. ugh.)

Maus: A Survivors Tale (Not done as far as I know)

V for Vendetta (Done)

300 (done)

A History Of Violence (done)

From Hell (done)

Sandman (Not Done... god help us)

Give Me Liberty (Not Done)

Hard Boiled (Not Done)

These are all must-reads in case anyone was wondering.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw another trailer for this. Oh em gee...

It gave me a joygasm.

My fear though, is actually in Dr Manhattan. How are they going to do him?! Hows a story sooo in depth..so detailed..and well, story driven - gonna translate on screen?!

Are they gonna make Rorschach come off shitty? Ugh, the fears I have!

• 4 months later...
Guest Megalicious

Just saw another trailer for this. Oh em gee...

It gave me a joygasm.

My fear though, is actually in Dr Manhattan. How are they going to do him?! Hows a story sooo in depth..so detailed..and well, story driven - gonna translate on screen?!

Are they gonna make Rorschach come off shitty? Ugh, the fears I have!

I just finished my Psych paper on Watchmen, and its got me all excited about the movie but Im scared too. First and for most being that anyone would think that Synder is "visionary" director is scary.

The dork with in me cries, pleads for me TO PLEASE SEE THIS MOVIE!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING 10+ years for ( I can only imagine what people that have been waiting 20+ years for it). My logical mind says, don't do it because not only are you going to leave the theater pissed but just the fact that there is bad blood between Alan and DC over Watchmen. *sigh*

I don't know why I fight with myself internally. I know I'm going to go see it LOL.

I'm with you Raev, the layers that make up these characters do NOT translate well to screen. We have seen this time and time again with books and comics we love. That is the very essence of what makes Watchmen amazing, these layered and very complex characters. I hope they don't fuck it up, or someone is going to die :devil: (and yes, I also agree that Jon is going to be very hard to translate to the big screen, as are they all.)

I WANT MY RORSCHACH!!!!

That is all...... :happy:

Guest Megalicious

Every fiber of my whole Casey wants to disagree because he doesn't want to be seen as sucking up to a pretty girl on the forums, but he must agree completely. =)

I was one of the three or four people out there that thought "300" was a piece of shit. It was just a gigantic blood-soaked phallus slogging across the screen.

Oh, and I will need to re-read Watchmen since I haven't in ten years (!) just to make sure he doesn't make any undue alterations to the text.

Just the fact that every time he is asked about the movie words like "awesome" and "cool" is all he seems to use, Horrifies me!

*takes a deep breath* *relaxes*

Yes, I am terrified...... :X

im prepared for suck. this way, i will not be disappointed.

also, dont expect a full, true adaptation. movies dont have enough time. things will be cut and/or changed.

as for 300, well, what did you expect? have you seen millers version (i cant say "read" really, as there isnt much to read, its very visual). its about being manly in a banana hammock. for real.

so long as you approach it as a movie about the book, and not the book on screen, i think you will be ok.

also, recall that it is a reimagined work, not the original. unless an author is writer/director of their own movie version.

Guest Megalicious

also, dont expect a full, true adaptation. movies dont have enough time. things will be cut and/or changed.

I know :confused::cry

Terry Gilliam took on a Watchmen project in the early 90's. Deemed it unfilmable. I would have loved to hear some of his idea's though. :happy:

Either way I'm going to end up going and see it. A midnight showing no doubt....... *sigh*

I'll join you at the midnight showing if ya want :p

I'll definitely be there haha.

By all rights, this SHOULD be unfilmable. For them to handle all the back stories, interactions, flashbacks etc in the book this would have to be a series - not a single film.

I do have to say though, the trailers look pretty good. Though I object to some of the casting and I don't like how Jon/Dr. Manhattan looks.

Guest Megalicious

By all rights, this SHOULD be unfilmable. For them to handle all the back stories, interactions, flashbacks etc in the book this would have to be a series - not a single film.

Thats pretty much what Gilliam said, he wanted it as a 5 part series, they shot him down. So the project was yet again put to the side..... *sigh*

I have some issues with the casting as well. The first time I saw the trailer, I thought to myself "OMG, is that Robert Downey Jr as the comedian, no..... they didn't!" LOL. Then I found out it was some near to nobody, but hey, he looks like he fits the role quite well, atleast in the trailers.

The fact that they are are TO YOUNG (with the exception of Jackie) is kind of annoying, but hey, it Hollywood right?

I think they also did a really good job in casting Jackie I think he will fill the role quite Well :happy:

*gets super excited*

Must breathe....... OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ...... I can't help it.

Note: I only came to the Watchmen recently. I've never been a big comics guy, so I've kind of lagged behind on such things.

I believe it was Alan Moore himself who said, in spite of his reluctance to allow Watchmen on the big screen, that the screenplay written for the Terry Gilliam project, by none other than Solid Snake voice David Hayter, was the closest he could imagine Watchmen being translated to film. Pity that one was tabled and then scrapped.

Archived