Anyone else DIY

I have recently been getting very into making stuff for myself. It's so much cheaper and you end up with something nobody else has.

I even have a sewing machine that almost works (if I can just fix the bobbin. My sister says she can help me with that).

Anyone else into the DIYage? Got a favorite project?

My fave easy projects are bell sleeves (it's like a mini-circle skirt for the end of the sleeve---really easy to do, if somewhat annoying to hem) and ribbon chokers (take a piece of broad ribbon from a craft store and a couple of hook and eyes. About the same amount of work as sewing on a couple of buttons voila instant choker for under a dollar)

I do alot of SCA garb for myself and others, some general Sci Fi costuming for conventions, Club clothes, and everyday stuff. Making stuff has always been natural for me. I've always been somewhat disproportunately large for my shape and so could never find clothes that wern't frumpy that fit. It makes one bud creativity young. That and it's nice to have it fit like a glove and be totally unique.

This sounds like some pretty ingenious stuff.

Disposible masks? How'd you manage this one? Just get a jar of liquid latex or what? Did you use a plaster cast of your face, imprssed in clay to make a life mask, and then add whatever you wanted to add? I mean, did you customize them for yourself?

And the on/off for the blacklight? Did you use somesort of Hg switch so it would cut off when you tilted your head a certain way? Did you use a battery pack for power? Did you put all the works in your hat or have cords to a belt battery pack, so as not to have the weight knock the hat off?

Not that I'm a costume nerd or anything.

Well since electronics count my next project is having built on cyber gear.

Getting a laptop and putting it in a backpack. I already have the keyboard with arm straps. I need to get a stand alone touch pad for my hand and an HUD/HMD (heads up display/head mounted display) for video. Probably end up getting an external battery source as well.

I figure get a wireless G card and I can walk around and be online. Only problem is I'll have to find an outlet like every 1/2 hour or so to recharge both the laptop and the display.

Edited by Scary Guy

I have an old straight stitch machine from the 60s that was my Grandma's. Grandma got a sweet new one and I got her clunker... I also have a 4 thread surger. The surger is awesome! I'm very self taught, and have had many many sewing disasters in the process of learning. If you get a machine, I'd be happy to help you out!. Feel free to ask away! I've sewn on everything from PVC to leather to all fabric types... I also know how to do corsetry.

My machine still isn't working (needs a part and I still haven't resolved that damned bobbin issue) I do a lot of handsewing. I have a pattern and the material to make 2 skirts from it somewhere and I have yet to use it what with not having the machine operational and all.

It's cheaper to buy something from Goodwill and make something completely different out of it than to buy fabric and build from scratch. And I think you can have a lot of fun with it. I do, anyway.

I already have the keyboard with arm straps. I need to get a stand alone touch pad for my hand and an HUD/HMD
Dude, I've always wanted to do that. I was working for a home automation company when those HMD's came out, so I saw them in one of the trade magazines. Aren't they cool? Edited by Hermine

Heh yeah, it's a little off topic though, but check out http://www.i-glassesstore.com/

I'm looking for other options as well but thats the cheapest I've found. I wouldn't mind saving up and dropping 1,000 on a display though for full color at a decent resolution and refresh rate.

http://wearcam.org/head-mounted-displays.html has tons of übergeeks but lots of good information as well. Kind of dated now though.

I'll have to find the ones I saw. This was a few years ago; a very high-end catalog (I was working for a home automation firm at the time; the fun of buying really expensive electronics for people!), but it was really small.

I must find it for you, but I think it was in a trade magazine or a catalog that was widely distributed. Anyway, keep an eye out (so to speak); exciting things are going to be coming down to realistic prices soon in that area.

Mark my words, small things are happening. (couldn't resist)

P.S. I've always wanted a computer suit, but I'm not good with actual handling of hardware; I have a major static issue.

Just ground yourself out, shouldn't be a problem. Invest in anti-stat matts and wrist straps (it's worth it, as it also takes a bit of the shock out if you get electrocuted).

I also didn't post all my links...

I've been working on this for a while.

http://www.liteye.com/

http://www.microopticalcorp.com/HomePage.html

Thats all I have on top of the two I already posted.

The major thing I want though is something that is see through, so I don't dedicate one or both eyes to the computer display and can use it while driving (and you thought cellphones were bad HA).

• 1 month later...

This sounds like some pretty ingenious stuff.

Disposible masks?  How'd you manage this one? Just get a jar of liquid latex or what? Did you use a plaster cast of your face, imprssed in clay to make a life mask, and then add whatever you wanted to add? I mean, did you customize them for yourself?

And the on/off for the blacklight? Did you use somesort of Hg switch so it would cut off when you tilted your head a certain way? Did you use a battery pack for power?  Did you put all the works in your hat or have cords to a belt battery pack, so as not to have the weight knock the hat off?

Not that I'm a costume nerd or anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry I'm so late with this

I use liquid latex for my masks. paint them directly on.

I'm working on a life mask to make some of my creations more permanent

Yes the battery pack was in the hat and I used a press on momentary switch

My latest project is a red and black mesh skirt for Sinnamon.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess I can say I do it myself. I just started making wearable things March of 2011.

My family hopes I will continue sewing in the footsteps of my mother so they pitched in a purchased me my first dress form last Christmas.

Once I finish DIYing the houses, I will get back into DIYing apparel...happy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

In March of 2011, I constructed my first major sewing project for a tribute video we posted on YouTube for the survivors of the tsunami that hit Japan that month.

Ganbatte Japan!!! Project tribute outfit in white:

Edited by TronRP

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding awesome stuff that fits me at 6'3 240 lbs. I've resorted to taking normal street clothes and just going nuts with them. I also love modifying military surplus, it makes for some really cool outfits. I also make steampunk jewelry, which I've been able to make some pretty good money from. I'd post some pix, but I'm currently posting from my tablet.