planning to visit the USA 2018

Hello everyone

Well tomorrow marks 5 yrs since I moved to Germany and that was after living about 3 years in southern California.

At the moment making plans to visit the USA next year with my husband and in laws as well. They want to see the country.
This all depends though on how things go with my grandpa and if my husbandand I have to come round sooner to be there to see him or attend a funeral. He has aggressive leukemia right now.

Though if original plans stay in place we would be visiting late summer early autuman in august or september. We plan RVing from New York to LA though making a long stop in Michigan some days to see family and friends. In this case I will be throwing a party weather permitting at Algonac state park because I am not sure the schedule and time to come down to Detroit for club events or what not will be available. Though maybe we can skip off to a club night but would require a ride to and from because wee are not driving a rental RV to Detroit for a club night lol. I would love to see many of you again. I know I did not spend a particularly long time in the scene there before spreading my wings and adventuring off to distant lands but I know it would be nice to visit and see some familar places and faces.

DGN is where I first discovered other gruftis like myself and Detroit was the first place I went to and interacted with other goths and dark alternative individuals. t will always hold a special place in my heart!

I will keep you all up to date on the plans and stuff.

Tschüßie!

I'd say come sooner rather than later, or at least skype/(some equivalent video chat software) with your grandpa.  I just lost mine recently and funerals suck.

Then again I wonder if it would have been better not visiting him because the last image I have is him on the couch too weak to even stay awake.

Of course this is doubly true for friends.  Spend as much time as you can with those you care about as they might not be here tomorrow.

Anyway I look forward to seeing you again and meeting your fam.  When it gets closer to your visit and you have a better idea of your schedule let me know and I'll mention all the fun local things that are going on in the scene.

Hi!!

Thank you so much and you are right its a hard thing. I know I can skype with my grandad through my mom but yeah I already seen my grandma go through it, lose her hair and then even though the cancer went into remission her weakened immune system caused her to die form an infection. I am figuring out what we will be doing and I guess it also depends on what my family all things is best.

Ii will definitely let you and everyone know what the plans are.

Hopefully everything will work out and we can make this trip happen.

talk to you soon!

Thats really rough. All my grandparents are gone the one i liked the most just passed very recently.

It seems to my suprize that a lot of sligtly older than the kiddies types seem to equate the older days of city club and DGN as something that was just sort of mutual thing. Makes me feel better if nothing else.

You have an RV? If its in good shape thats a great, often overlooked way to see the country. Be safe.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:22 PM, Troy Spiral said:

Thats really rough. All my grandparents are gone the one i liked the most just passed very recently.

It seems to my suprize that a lot of sligtly older than the kiddies types seem to equate the older days of city club and DGN as something that was just sort of mutual thing. Makes me feel better if nothing else.

You have an RV? If its in good shape thats a great, often overlooked way to see the country. Be safe.

No we have to rent an RV. It will be expensive but not as expensive as travel and accommodations if we were to fly, rent cars/take taxis ect. Theres RV rental deals where you can pick it up and drop it off elsewhere. Basically if its just my husband and in laws we would pay around $2000-$2500 for a month RV rental that fits up to 5 people. If my parents join $2200-$2700 for up to 7 people. That cost would be split by couples so if my parents come along it would work out cheaper but I do not think they will or can. The stressfull thing will be I need to try getting my license. It will be over 5 yrs since it expired. Mom tried renewing by mail but my license ended up somehow going back to them and getting destroyed. I would like to help drive or it will be my father in law only driving which would be alot. also fitting everything in 4 weeks that we wanna do. Nearly one week spent in Michigan alone.

Though of course some of this hinges on what happens with my grandad. I have a feeling hes not going to make it. He is old, weak and even the outpatient chemo is going to be hard on him but might not be enough as his leukemia is aggressive. I hope if he passes it will not be in horrible pain. Hes a fighter but being around 80 and all the surgeries and stuff hes had this really doesnt look good. Lost my grandmother on the other side of the family. She survived the cancer but her weakened immune system let an infection kill her.

Anyways yeah I made my start in DGN to find others like me. I searched online for Michigan goths and stuff. I fondly look back at my beginnings and meeting new people and being inspired to follow my own path. I knew the international goth scene had some big things going on but I hoped to find people in Michigan and had things not gone the way they had I might have still been around and living closer to the city. I wish I could have gotten into the scene earlier but my husband and financial and work schedule didnt allow me to. I knew about city club years before I got to go. I spent my late teens and half my 20s being goth mainly in spirit because of the limits I had in life. Though my divorce basically freed me up to go on an adventure and without many obligations I wanted to go for things and see where I could make it. I still honestly wonder if I will wake up from a dream because I seriously never thought I would end up living in Germany. Moving to California was a big move for me and was a pretty fast decision and move. My dad didnt think I would make it long though its been over 7 yrs now and well anyone who had their doubts now shut up lol. I am not anyone special. Not a model, not a very successful career person or professional, not a youtuber or a rich kid. I was just a nerdy overweight goth girl from a small town, with her head in the clouds, loads of issues and health problems and alot of passion to live a life without regrets and just for for what I want. I grown, learned alot and had quite the rollercoaster of a life but the awesome things more than make up for the shitty ones.

So I was watching the travel channel with my parents and saw some RV show where people looking to buy/rent an RV were on it telling their stories and looking at different ones.  If you're willing to go on TV they might pay for some of the trip I don't know.

I will say they had some NICE RV's on there.  Some of them seemed more like luxury homes on wheels, and even the pop up campers were nice too.

• 2 months later...

hey all thanks and I definitely hope I get a chance to see you all if we get over there next year. Definitely hinges on health and fiances. If the RV thing does not happen I still want to make a trip to Michigan for a couple weeks and California for a week. I will be without a car and well I might be able to rent one if I renew my old Michigan license while visiting.

I think we will be fine financially but the plans will have to fit to a certain budget of course and depend on if my in laws go with us or not. Health well between my weight loss program and my current cancer stuff. I have cervical/uterine cancer hopefully not more after this operation. My mom and grandmothers had this too. I am not overly worried. It was a tiny area effected and the surgery should have removed it. I will of course have to have very regular examinations. urggh. As long as things are clear I should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on travel plans.
The big RV tirp will be 2020 most likely however I still intend making a trip to Michigan to see family and friends next year but decided to in October to let my husband experience American Halloween fun and well raid some of the retailers for some home decor! I will spend like 2 weeks in Michigan which should be enough time to arrange getting in touch or planning to meet up at a event or something in Detroit to see you all. Not this year but next year. The big trip is for when my father in law retires. Gives us more time to really plan things out and stuff.

Hope to see some of you next year!