6 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

Gotta love Wikipedia, where anyone can write anything to any item on the page.  So to follow the idea of the griping about everyone stealing Irishness for St. Patrick's day, I feel it's only fair as a German-American that no one other than people of German decent be allowed to celebrate Octoberfest.  And only Americans can celebrate the Fourth of July, only Veterans can celebrate Memorial Day.  I mean if Wikipedia wants to talk about the Irish not happy with people other than of Irish decent celebrating a holiday then let's just be fair and do it for all holidays related to a specific ancestry.  And for the record, no one needs to play to stereotypes of people to justify getting drunk and acting like idiots on a holiday.  After all, it seems to be the American pastime to do that any day of the year, no holiday needed.

18 minutes ago, Draco1958 said:

Gotta love Wikipedia, where anyone can write anything to any item on the page.  So to follow the idea of the griping about everyone stealing Irishness for St. Patrick's day, I feel it's only fair as a German-American that no one other than people of German decent be allowed to celebrate Octoberfest.  And only Americans can celebrate the Fourth of July, only Veterans can celebrate Memorial Day.  I mean if Wikipedia wants to talk about the Irish not happy with people other than of Irish decent celebrating a holiday then let's just be fair and do it for all holidays related to a specific ancestry.  And for the record, no one needs to play to stereotypes of people to justify getting drunk and acting like idiots on a holiday.  After all, it seems to be the American pastime to do that any day of the year, no holiday needed.

LOL, to that, I almost posted this when I made this page, but I didn't want to start anything.

http://wackulus.com/may-the-luck-of-the-irish-be-with-you-6-things-to-know-about-st-pattys-day/

May The Luck Of the Irish Be With You! 6 Things To Know About St. Paddy’s Day

According to the article, no one started drinking until it was celebrated in America...so the would mean only Americans can drink on this holiday as that is how it is celebrated here.

2 minutes ago, TronRP said:

LOL, to that, I almost posted this when I made this page, but I didn't want to start anything.

http://wackulus.com/may-the-luck-of-the-irish-be-with-you-6-things-to-know-about-st-pattys-day/

May The Luck Of the Irish Be With You! 6 Things To Know About St. Paddy’s Day

According to the article, no one started drinking until it was celebrated in America...so the would mean only Americans can drink on this holiday as that is how it is celebrated here.

Seems pretty much every holiday is celebrated here with drinking and fights.

2 minutes ago, Draco1958 said:

Growing up, all I have ever heard is how much Americans have messed up every culture and country in the world...maybe it's true.  Apparently, all we know how to do is get drunk, fight, and procreate.  :confused:

1 minute ago, sekhmet2002 said:

Well, being of Irish descent I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by having a Jiggs dinner with my mom. No drinking, no fights. So happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone. :)

Don't know what a Jiggs dinner is however I am glad you had a good celebration with family.  That is the important part.

30 minutes ago, sekhmet2002 said:

Jiggs dinner is just the name for corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. 

29 minutes ago, Draco1958 said:

Other than the carrots, that's what we had for dinner.

:drool

On 3/18/2017 at 0:02 AM, Draco1958 said:

Surprisingly they're Canadian and not American, but they're close enough I guess.

When it comes to the holiday it's mostly the whole feeding into the stereotype and religiousness I take issue with though.  If you do away with those then there is no reason for the holiday.  In fact, it seems to be one of the few holidays the Catholics didn't take from the pagans, and the only reason it exists is to celebrate that he converted some from their way of thinking to his.