At our Gatherings we are accepting of everyone. Of course this is perfect and as it should be. I'm not an elitist, and I do feel that the subculture has expanded beyond the club and the music we claim. I tend to fit the common aesthetic and am no stranger to hoping beyond hope that the damn dye comes out of the Tub,Sink,Washer,Etc. We know..what is "Ours".We know what is Not. It came up casually.. on the phone but it was first suggested on a little book called "The Autumn Cemetery Texts". https://www.eskimo.com/~sonata/autumn.html I delighted in this little tome so thoroughly my 1st husband was rabidly jealous! Of a book! I will say my opinions match the author's. In it he says, regarding Our Scene..

"Goth also faces self destruction in the form of popularization; various other musical communities gamble for our clothing while we're vanishing on the cross, becoming all ghost, unseen but for what we're called by faceless monsters that think they're Ours but aren't."

In any case, I had said something wasn't "Ours" and he agreed. I doubt many have ever read that bitty master work, but clearly we all have that 'knowing'. It's described at length in the book. We know.. all of us. In the immortal words of a baby step-cousin Brian.. "Burn it out before it grows".

What does everyone think of that concept? Do you think there is a specific attribute or attributes that makes "Us"? Beyond pretty Lolitas and their tea parties, beyond the gears of Our Steampunks.. How do we recognize us?

As our wonderful leader has suggested, and he is correct, they tend to weed themselves out. I will return, have no doubt. The Gothys are -My- tribe. Nothing so small and ridiculous would ever tear me away. Not _ever_. My heart hurts for missing you alone. I will never again bring un-vetted, no matter how desperate. You are too important.

Life is change and society is life.  This new Dubstep scene sucks, and everyone is moving toward IDM now.  I play oldschool at my events for a reason and as many have pointed out, usually have more people dancing in my area than the other one.

Yes, all are welcome; but at least try to fit in a little bit?

Still I won't outcast anyone as they outcast us.  Unless they try to bring negativity to the group.  Even then, if it isn't my group so all I can do is shun them within the group.  It's okay there are many people who go to the club who don't say two words to me and we avoid each-other just fine.  I wouldn't make a special trip to piss on their grave but I certainly wouldn't mourn their passing either if they did.

Goth was declared dead 30+ years ago before it even got started and has been declared so perpetually ever since. Despite that we live in a more 'gothy' goth 'ish' and embracing of the macabre and the outsider society writ broadly any  previous time in history.

Not nessisarily the exact 'type' of goth Joe Blow naysayer wants, but Joe Blow is never and has never been particularly happy about anything.

Look at mainstream entertainment, there are more goth friendly shows/books than there ever has been. (Good or bad) Many of them include clear acceptance of the 'other' the 'outsider' the 'darker' including glbt. Big picture that is a long term win. This cannot be overstated.

Despite issues locally (the Arab and black communities have always been reluctant to embrace this culture of mild nillisim, darkness but more key the often implied open-mindedness. It's not a stereotype to say that in general both communities are strongly associated with xenophobia of all types.

We just happen to be in a pocket that makes it a bit harder to come together than most other places.

Not that it's impossible. It's not. There are plenty of like minded (losely defined since day 1) individuals all over this area. 

I don't think Goth will ever really die, per se. It is slowly fading but I think that's also partly due to the fact that CC has let things like their reputation go to hell. We'll still be in the world but it would be nice to have a place to go to where you can just be your gothy self again. 

I've been working on that rep thing as you know.  It's getting better but this once a month event shit is killing me.  At least there are other clubs to pick up the slack.

With the two previous Small's shows, the City show tonight, the show at Phoenix Cafe tomorrow, and Grasshopper/Necto Monday that's one solid work-week's worth of events!  Feels almost like old times.

As far as getting the (African/Arab/Asian)-American communities in on it, I'd like to see more of that.  I have quite a few black friends and if they all showed up on the same night it would be a very decent turnout.  I think part of the problem though is it's seen by many as a predominantly "white culture." I remember this white girl talking to me on X-mas at City about a techno event she was at, but she said she was the only white person there so she felt out of place and took off.  I imagine that's what a lot of black folk feel when they come to our events.  I think we should all just live together and not worry about it, but I can see where some people would like it more if they could culturally/racially identify with a majority of the people who go.  I'm trying to get a black friend of mine to start a local afro-goth group (because obviously I can't do it being whiter than the driven snow) and he's expressed interest in setting something up, and as he said "there is afro-punk so why not afro-goth."  I'm hoping that attracts other black people interested in the lifestyle as well.

I know even less Asian and Arab goths, but I would like to see something develop in those areas as well.

Anyway the scene is only going to grow if we bring in fresh new blood.  This is easier said than done it seems.  I do run into a few new people though from time to time and that makes me feel good to see some new life in the "overculture."

I'm glad that you're working so hard to bring the community back together. I once went to CC in the old days with a black friend of mine. He looked around and there was only one other black person. He freaked out and I told him that nobody cares what or who you are here. We're all just people who like the same club and music. It made him feel much better. He was ready to go again with me after that. So, I totally get what you're saying. More people of any color would be a great addition to the scene.

I had a friend back in the day named Jermaine. It wouldn't shock me a bit to find he is or was a member here. He'd put his hair up in pigtails and hair texture/length gave his shadow the impression of Mickey Mouse. He could dance his butt off, not like that was work for his thin self. Haven't seen him since the early 90's.