Came To My Door Asking To See My Electric Bill

So we were eating supper when someone knocked on my door. I went to the door  and there was a lady wanted information about my electric bill. They flashed a clip id thing at me and said they worked for Jet or Jit Electric or something like that and  wanted to see if I was getting the best rate or something. When I told them that Jet Or Jit is not my electric company they then said they do service for my electric company as well.  She kept asking to see my electric bill.   I don't trust anyone showing up at my door asking to see anything personal. So I  did not show her my bill and told her we are eating supper right nowt . With that she went on her way.  I went to look stuff up about this because it seem strange. As it turns out what I found out is they try to get your account number from your bill then they switch you over to their company without your  permission. Or they get you to sign up for a lower rate then up it after a few months to a higher rate.  Anyone else hear of this stuff going on? 

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

So we were eating supper when someone knocked on my door. I went to the door  and there was a lady wanted information about my electric bill. They flashed a clip id thing at me and said they worked for Jet or Jit Electric or something like that and  wanted to see if I was getting the best rate or something. When I told them that Jet Or Jit is not my electric company they then said they do service for my electric company as well.  She kept asking to see my electric bill.   I don't trust anyone showing up at my door asking to see anything personal. So I  did not show her my bill and told her we are eating supper right nowt . With that she went on her way.  I went to look stuff up about this because it seem strange. As it turns out what I found out is they try to get your account number from your bill then they switch you over to their company without your  permission. Or they get you to sign up for a lower rate then up it after a few months to a higher rate.  Anyone else hear of this stuff going on? 

This scam has been going on since the government cut back restrictions on utilities allowing third parties to buy electric and gas from utility companies.  Once they switch you, it's a big fight to switch back

Our mother signed up with one of these "services". They actually charged more than DTE Energy.  She managed to get her services returned to DTE. I never trusted the people and called DTE. That's how I learned what they were doing. Whenever they came to my door, I told them I was calling the cops because DTE wasn't affiliated with them. Some tried to explain their way out of it. Others quickly excused themselves.

I email my electric company and ask them about all of this. They email me back saying that this person was not one of their people. She showed up again today at my door and I told her I talked to my electric company and they told me you are not a part of them. She then changed her tune saying no we don't work for them but we offer better rates if you go through us. I told her no I am not having anything to do with this and sent her on her way. 

Don't mess with me. I'm the kind of person that calls telemarketers back and yell at them for calling me. :alien:

This happened to my mother. She was talked into signing up with the company and found out they had taken all of her information and switched her account over entirely. She called both her original provider and the scam company and got her account back to the original company. It was such a hassle and she was so upset, but at least it got fixed. I agree, I don't trust anyone with anything personal like that either.