Christmas With My Mother In Law

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about all of this:    :rofl:

So this year we spent Christmas at my mother in law's house.  This is how it went.  She invited us over for Christmas dinner. Then she complain about having to spend money buying the food and how tight money is right now and that she may have to sale the house she just bought cause she does not have any money. She told us that dinner was going to be at 3:00pm.  So my husband and I thought we should show up at 2:00pm because she always expects us to come an hr early, so 2:00pm seem right.  At 1:30pm she calls me on the phone and wants to know where I am! I told her I am home. She then proceeds to give me a good bawling out for not being at her house RIGHT THEN AND NOW!  Then yelling something about the potatoes being done and that we are suppose to be there RIGHT NOW because the potatoes are done!  I said well I thought we were eating at 3:00pm so we were going  to come at 2:00pm!  The she is says "well you don't have to wait until 2:00pm you can come earlier then that! "  I told her we are on our way and so off we went.  So we have our Christmas dinner and everything seems to be going alright except she is still complaining that we should have shown up sometime before the 2:00pm time spot. Although it was never clear what that time was suppose to be but it has something to do with how long it takes for the potatoes to get done.  So then came time for the Christmas gifts. To which she made a point to  let us know that she is not going to have the money to keep giving out Christmas gifts and she has all these bills to pay, so we may not being getting anymore Christmas gifts from her!  I just said "thank you for the gift" and left it at that. After all of that she wanted to know if we were going to come over for New Years. I didn't really give her an answer. After we left I told my husband I would much rather have New Year's dinner at home so to avoid anymore (as I put it) Misunderstandings with my mother in law. THE END :w00t: :rofl:

First off, these mandatory gift giving holidays (ESPECIALLY Christmas) keep making poor people poorer.  I treat them all as a good chance to go meet and eat with family/friends.  However turnabout is fair play and you should offer to lift the burden off of her by agreeing not to do any presents.  That way she shouldn't expect anything either.

Also, next year (when this inevitably happens again) when she says 3:00 and wants you there at 1:50 show up at 11AM!  Then remind her of this year and say you didn't want to be too late.  The only down side is you have to hang out with your mother in law for half a day, but I think it's worth it out of spite.

13 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about all of this:    :rofl:

So this year we spent Christmas at my mother in law's house.  This is how it went.  She invited us over for Christmas dinner. Then she complain about having to spend money buying the food and how tight money is right now and that she may have to sale the house she just bought cause she does not have any money. She told us that dinner was going to be at 3:00pm.  So my husband and I thought we should show up at 2:00pm because she always expects us to come an hr early, so 2:00pm seem right.  At 1:30pm she calls me on the phone and wants to know where I am! I told her I am home. She then proceeds to give me a good bawling out for not being at her house RIGHT THEN AND NOW!  Then yelling something about the potatoes being done and that we are suppose to be there RIGHT NOW because the potatoes are done!  I said well I thought we were eating at 3:00pm so we were going  to come at 2:00pm!  The she is says "well you don't have to wait until 2:00pm you can come earlier then that! "  I told her we are on our way and so off we went.  So we have our Christmas dinner and everything seems to be going alright except she is still complaining that we should have shown up sometime before the 2:00pm time spot. Although it was never clear what that time was suppose to be but it has something to do with how long it takes for the potatoes to get done.  So then came time for the Christmas gifts. To which she made a point to  let us know that she is not going to have the money to keep giving out Christmas gifts and she has all these bills to pay, so we may not being getting anymore Christmas gifts from her!  I just said "thank you for the gift" and left it at that. After all of that she wanted to know if we were going to come over for New Years. I didn't really give her an answer. After we left I told my husband I would much rather have New Year's dinner at home so to avoid anymore (as I put it) Misunderstandings with my mother in law. THE END :w00t: :rofl:

Jesus. How could you miss the potatoes being done! Slackers. Lol

(Going over Bobbi's house for any reason is a minefield... we were there for 7 hours and later were told we just 'ran out the door' and other more negative imaginary BS)

• 2 weeks later...