Computer Taking a Shit

4 hours ago, Troy Spiral said:

Thanks for the kind thought. It's On Its Way But I'm Not Sure It's Worth the trouble there has got to be something Bizzare going wrong with the motherboard and the graphics card just randomly decides to die untill you bang on it. plus it's a dinosaur except for the monitor.

That sounds like the graphics card is working it's way out of it's slot.  I had a memory chip pull that on me.  If I rebooted the computer once or twice it would work then suddenly it wouldn't.  You may want to pull the card, blow out the slot and re insert the card.  That might help.  I had a video card to one day decide to blow 2 capacitors.  Luckily no damage to my computer but it explains why I started to smell smoke.  After shutting down the comp one night with the video card running fine, the next day had no video.

33 minutes ago, Draco1958 said:

That sounds like the graphics card is working it's way out of it's slot.  I had a memory chip pull that on me.  If I rebooted the computer once or twice it would work then suddenly it wouldn't.  You may want to pull the card, blow out the slot and re insert the card.  That might help.  I had a video card to one day decide to blow 2 capacitors.  Luckily no damage to my computer but it explains why I started to smell smoke.  After shutting down the comp one night with the video card running fine, the next day had no video.

That's what I was hoping.  I've stripped this POS down to its component parts, blew it all out with canned air, then put it all together once, then did all the easy stuff again.   Something probably is loose or slightly shorting out on and off but there are so many parts to the things its hard to tell, its nothing obvious. 

What I'm worried about is everything I do from DGN to FB to the Youtube channel is a huge pain in the ass if I have to do it just on my phone (some of it is  impossible).  Not really sure what to do about it as it seems like a pipe dream to actually save up money, I'm perpetually robbing peter to pay paul. 

How big is your hard drive and do you have a back up drive?  If not I might have an extra you can store some stuff on in case that goes tits up too.

Invest in some electrical contact cleaner (or break cleaner since it's cheaper and still contains the same active ingredient) then clean the contacts on the cards and see if that helps.  Also use a paper towel and get into the sockets too with a butterknife or similar thin solid object, then wait for it to dry (just in case).

Check the capacitors for any bulges too as they can go bad and if they blow can leak all over everything.  I have a power supply tester I can plug into it to let you know if it's getting full power or if some of it has died which can cause similar issues as well.  It could also just be regular old attrition if it's old as shit.  Hell, you live close enough to the Apple that I can probably swing by even earlier and check it out if you like.

Alternatively if you want to get a new system, I'd try pcpartpicker.com and camelcamelcamel.com (which is good for may things, not just computer parts but anything Amazon sells) and just build yourself a badass system when you can scrape up enough cash.  Or maybe start a gofundme or something for a new system IDK.

I was able to buy an off lease computer from a small computer shop I trust.  Intel I-5

3.1ghz quad core processor

8 gigs memory

500 gig HD

Radeon 6350 video card with 512 megs memory

DVD burner

It came with 4 gigs memory but upped it to 8 gigs

I paid $319, was $279 with 4 gigs memory.

They have been around for a long time and I have bought stuff from them over the years.  Other than a name change, it's the same people.  The name is The Computer Company in Southgate.