"Quintessential Goth Songs"

Troy Spiral

I tried this before, and some of the choices are fairly obvious to let's call it "goth buffs" but many people have almost no knowledge of goth music per se, which is partly what DGN is for.   I tried this in the past but I think I've narrowed it down pretty well.   Bela Lugosi's Dead is a bit of a challenge for a most new listeners but It's probably impossible to make a list like this without it.  The order is largely Irrelevant.   Tried to limit it to 5 but 6 was as small as I could get it. 

1. Bauhaus - "she's In Parties"

2. Sisters of Mercy - Temple of Love

3.  Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

4.  Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)   

5.  Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

6.  Siouxsie and The Banshees - Cities in Dust

Random factoid:  R.E.M's Michael Stipe came up with the band's name "Concrete Blonde". 

Lots of things like Birthday Party , My Chemical Romance,  The Cruxshadows, Rokey Ericsson's "Night of the Vampire" (love that song) The Cure (many choices), Other Joy Division Songs (atmosphere being a key hard decision),  Other Sisters songs (This Corrosion being a key hard decision) The Cult even The Damned, The Misfits , NIN  *fear*... Marilyn Manson and many others   COULD go on here but the ones above seem the most  "key".  To me. 

Here is an actual playlist with them:

Top 5... ok 6  Iconic Goth Songs

No attempt to appease or impress any "cool DJish type friends" was made.   That  Would defeat the idea of "Iconic" or "Quintessential"   none of my "pet" songs either, off which there are tons. hah. 

The Lack of a song by The Cure strikes me as the most akward part of this list but I was hard pressed to pick any cure song that is more "iconic" than the ones listed.