On 2/16/2023 at 8:01 PM, Soulrev said:

Chris Evans, was that the shorter bald guy that used to bounce at City? I used to hang out with him a lot back in the day. How's he doing, anyone heard from him lately? If this is the same guy I'm thinking of. He was always the coolest bouncer at City in my opinion. He always took time to talk to me even if he was busy AF.  Real down to earth, friendly sort of guy.

The very same.  He didn't just work there because it was a job, he's one of the ones that genuinely liked the place and would just go hang out.

If you're on Facebook (I think he has one still, IDK I don't use it) feel free to look him up.  Still as friendly as ever.

I wasn't going to say anything and wait for an official announcement, but I'd want to know ASAP if I didn't already, and so I'm letting you all know.

@sekhmet2002 called me yesterday and gave me the unfortunate news that @Troy Spiral died that afternoon.  He was the founder of this forum, and although we didn't talk as much as I'd have liked he someone I was happy to call a friend.

The Gathering is canceled until further notice, and the next one that does happen will almost certainly be a memorial.

There is a gofundme instead of a pricey funeral that his mother can't afford anyway.  There are two memorial events though.

“Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.” – A Game of Thrones

Edited by Scary Guy
Added gofundme link

2 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

I wasn't going to say anything and wait for an official announcement, but I'd want to know ASAP if I didn't already, and so I'm letting you all know.

@sekhmet2002 called me yesterday and gave me the unfortunate news that @Troy Spiral died that afternoon.  He was the founder of this forum, and although we didn't talk as much as I'd have liked he someone I was happy to call a friend.

The Gathering is canceled until further notice, and the next one that does happen will almost certainly be a memorial.

When funeral arrangements are made I will post those and any other info I find out as well.

“Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.” – A Game of Thrones

Definitely in shock over here

9 hours ago, Scary Guy said:

When funeral arrangements are made I will post those and any other info I find out as well.

Thank you for keeping us up to date. I’d like to go if they are allowing a friends gathering instead of just a close family thing. 

Phee was kind enough to let me know last night and Bean let me know this morning.

Definitely in shock. Definitely in mourning in my own way - as I am sure we all are. 

It’s odd - how many connections that I have made in my life related to just this site. 

Without Troy there would be no Keegan, no Apollo, no Lumen - no me really, at least not as I am now. 

I would not be bound to Michigan- I would definitely be somewhere else, which means not the life I have now - I would not be the person I am today. 

I would not have two of the best friends for almost two decades of my existence, that I know would “burn it down to the fucking ground” with me ❤️ 

And though Troy and I only talked once in a while over the last few years, his mark is absolutely undeniable in my life. I wish I could have told him…

I hope he found peace. I think every single one of us has been there. Please do let us know when a service or gathering is planned. I don’t do funerals . But I would like to visit if he is buried and pay my respects privately. 

Love to all the other elder DGNers out there that don’t frequent here anymore while they also mourn. At least most of you anyway. It’s a bizarre feeling. If you need a shoulder, are feeling particularly shitty and just need someone to listen - shoot me a message. Life is too fucking short to bare that shit alone …

Apparently I can't add any more reactions today as I've reached some sort of annoying limit that I didn't know existed, but thank you for your post.

EDIT:  I have corrected this egregious wrong.

Edited by Scary Guy
I finally made my like official, or something.

"There are no words big enough to describe grief. It’s an incredibly lonely, empty place, a large hole that swallows your soul and threatens to destroy it. It’s a dark place with no light that blinds you, deafens you, and crushes your spirit. It’s a place full of memories you’re afraid to lose.
I was in that place. No amount of tears washed away the loneliness. No amount of screams chased it away. There were simply memories, an avalanche of memories that I desperately needed to hold onto.
There was so much that death didn’t prepare me for. It didn’t prepare me for the storm that would break my will." ~Hawthorn

To say that I woke up to shocking news, yesterday, is an understatement. If it wasn’t for the creation of this board, I would never have met any of you. I would never have fallen in love with my husband, and I never would’ve moved to Detroit. It’s a lot to process. I just don’t know what to say…

he literally, inadvertently, had damn near everything to do with my life being as awesome as it actually is.

I have my own feelings and opinions, and I guess it’s something I sort of have to process on my own. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by Anna Phylaxis

22 hours ago, torn asunder said:

just heard myself - so sad. does anyone have any details? i don't want to pry, but i hadn't heard anything about him or his health in ages.

he will be missed.

Please read my inbox message. 

• 2 weeks later...

bye troy. i was on the board yrs ago. we talked about music. i found that waterfall in westland on those grounds when i moved back and thought of you walking under the vines. rest in peace.

• 4 weeks later...

This is shocking and sad news.  If I remember right I only physically met Troy once, it was through no fault of his own because I'm not big on traveling, driving, or being around crowds.  But we've had brief communication through the years and he got me to hand out business cards for DGN years ago.  I think that speaks to his character, since that's not something I would do for most people.  Where I did it for him because I wanted to see an online forum for gothic and alternative culture around Michigan, and he seemed like a good man who at the time was making progress with that. 

The forum got less popular over time, some reasons were that people had disagreements on the rules and the alternative scene was changing, but people's personal connection to the culture never changed and he struggled to leave a place online for those within his rules.  He contributed to the decentralization of communication, which is a good thing for people at large, especially with so many people who have flocked to Facebook, not knowing how it may have never been in their best interest and the story of the criminal project called Lifelog.  He also battled with physical and mental health struggles and stayed true to his individuality, dressing the part more than a lot of older closet goths.  Comedically speaking, Troy also seemed to like legal Michigan THC so he might've liked that I wrote this in honor of him while pretty baked.

If heaven exists, it's probably a big place, but I think that it just got a little more gothic.  Rest in peace Troy.

Edited by Class-Punk

• 4 weeks later...

i lost so many in the past few

my mom

5 close friends

watched one over dose 5x.

she is still alive

but i cant enable her anymore.

i cant be around drinkers or users right now.

its too painful to watch you destroy yourself.

22 minutes ago, gwen said:

i lost so many in the past few

my mom

5 close friends

watched one over dose 5x.

she is still alive

but i cant enable her anymore.

i cant be around drinkers or users right now.

its too painful to watch you destroy yourself.

Like a quarter of this list is from drinking / drugs (mostly heroin.)

Good for you for moving beyond that.

I never got the appeal of them myself.  I wish others saw things like I do, along with the damage those things do.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 3:55 AM, Scary Guy said:

The very same.  He didn't just work there because it was a job, he's one of the ones that genuinely liked the place and would just go hang out.

If you're on Facebook (I think he has one still, IDK I don't use it) feel free to look him up.  Still as friendly as ever.

I think I met him at a pagan gathering yrs ago in fact one of the first ppl to suggest we go dancing up there and suggested convo to us

I miss hanging around bon fires naked but I don't miss the drama.