I made a list that I'd been thinking about doing for a while.  I posted it to Failbook and others helped me to add to it (I'm sure it's, unfortunately, nowhere near completion.)

This is a list I hate to update, but it seems important that it exists and we remember our friends and loved ones who were involved with the local gothic/industrial community; even if they were only a small part of it for a short time.

This isn't specific to DGN but rather the local club scene here in the Detroit area; although obviously there is a bit of crossover between the two.

I figured I'd post it here because it's more permanent than Failbook, and that people might want to add to it/correct information.

I didn't know many of these people and even fewer I actually got to call friend, but they were all a part of the scene.  Maybe I'll go through and look up the DGN names as well then link them here.

As always, if you can add any information it is appreciated.  I try to keep things in chronological order too so dates help as well.

Edited by Scary Guy
Updated list, added in some obituary links & profile links for those I know were on here.

Its a very worthy effort.  Not sure how or why any previous attempt would have been deleted.  "broken" maybe due to years-old screw  ups with upgrades seems more likely.

Thanks for posting this.   Hopefully people will help keep it updated. 

Yeah If I want something to have some sort of "lasting reference" value I always post it here the transient nature (in a sense) of failbook doesn't suit itself well to a lot of things.  Such as ... actual conversation of any length , nor something more somber like this.  

3 hours ago, Troy Spiral said:

Somehow I missed Abe the first time around.  I didn't know him super well other than just the boyfriend of .... well that's embarrassing...  can't remember her name...  but he was always friendly. 

The whole list :( 

I knew him through Greg "Spam" and Dave as they used to pal around quite a bit.  Always a great guy.  One of the few that I actually knew and associated with.

• 1 year later...
  • TronRP pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Updated the list.  James is super recent and services this Thusday for those who knew him.  https://www.sparksgriffin.com/obituary/james-edmund-souvie?lud=DD32E3EBEA372AAFC8FD236E609C3D13

I myself probably won't go, as I haven't seen him in years.  I will upload some photos somewhere though eventually.

EDIT: I went to a gathering at his girlfriend's house.  It was nice.

Edited by Scary Guy

74395480_476593256282533_7196415616540999680_n.jpg

Didn't know him super well but he was always nice to me. Wish I could remember his DGN name was so long ago.  Updated the list above.  
I remember him chatting about renn faire things  and the main reason I can think of him is he knew his Game of Thrones / Warhammer and would mention it.  Probably because there are so few of us that are familiar with both. 

On 10/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, Troy Spiral said:

74395480_476593256282533_7196415616540999680_n.jpg

Didn't know him super well but he was always nice to me. Wish I could remember his DGN name was so long ago.  Updated the list above.  
I remember him chatting about renn faire things  and the main reason I can think of him is he knew his Game of Thrones / Warhammer and would mention it.  Probably because there are so few of us that are familiar with both. 

Do you know what he did at the renfest? He looks very familiar, but we don't have any Facebook friends in common which is strange... many of mine work for the renfest

• 9 months later...

Sorry I haven't been around.  My mother died back on July 24th.  She was very supportive of me and my lifestyle and I think she understood it and me better than my father does.  While she doesn't technically make the list, she might have if this all existed in the late 60's-70's.  She did manage to visit all the major goth clubs in the mid 2000's at least once (City, Labyrinth, Luna, and Mephisto's.)  She drank like a fish and swore like a sailor then.  Later in life she calmed the hell down after she got drunk and fell down the stairs and that's what really messed her neck up.  After that it was mostly pills for pain which was constant and unyielding.  In the end it was cancer that got her, and she said it made the pain (which was already awful) about 10x worse.  I'm pretty sure when she died she left some of that pain distributed to me, my father, and the rest of the family.  We are all better for having known her and lessened without her.

A lot of my friends (some of them here) were lucky enough to have known her so I thought I'd mention it.  There was no funeral or anything so you didn't miss it.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2021/01/car-smashes-into-stop-sign-near-um-medical-campus-killing-female-passenger.html

https://www.gofundme.com/f/alyse-monet-snowden-funeral-fund

https://cemeteryrose.com/2021/06/29/rising-from-the-ashes/

https://rockrevoltmagazine.com/interview-with-detroit-based-electronic-rock-artist-josie-pace/

Another one hits close to home for me.  I dated her for a while last year.  She hated me and thought I was bullshit, but I still loved her and miss her deeply.  I miss when I could make her happy.  She was tortured by life though, and at least she's no longer sad.

Edited by Scary Guy
I find her mentioned from time to time online, so I figure I should add that here.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh great, you're going to make me turn on PMs again aren't you?

Okay, fine.  After I figure out how to do that again I'll send you my contact info.

I will say that if you're the Cory I'm thinking of, that she spoke very highly of you and treasured the times she got to hang out with you.  She also thought you were very cute!

Sorry for the late reply, I don't check this thing too often.

Edited by Scary Guy

• 1 month later...

Earlier up the list you have Cheshire, he was a legendary corner kid and good friend of mine who was murdered in Flint over some dumb shit.  I know for sure he was 21 because at the time I remember thinking he was so mature for being old enough to drink lol.  He died while I was in college at EMU during that first month on September 16th, 2003, and he was born on May 30th, 1982.  His real name was Heath John Baron Tripp, but if you ever called anyone who was a Corner Kid by their government name those were fighting words lol.  I had a huge crush on him and I was devastated forever when he died, it's so alien to think of now because it makes me sad after all these years, but it seems like I'm watching a dream when I think back that far, like I'm peeking in on someone else's life because of how much time has passed  and how much I've changed since then.

Charles English has died.  Can't find an obituary but multiple reports coming in he was sick.  I heard from a friend who heard it on good authority it was a heart attack followed by kidney failure.  He helped to start City Club back in 83 as one of the original DJs.  I was honored to have known and worked with him (much more recently than that though.)  He knew and was loved by many in the scene, and he will be deeply missed.

https://www.metrotimes.com/city-slang/archives/2021/12/08/friends-and-fans-remember-detroit-dj-charles-english-dead-at-68?media=AMP+HTML

signal-2021-12-08-180643.thumb.jpeg.a3d06564e8c248cedbca74d622020af8.jpegsignal-2021-12-12-175146.thumb.jpeg.66f457218126021139b4adb670c9954e.jpeg

Edited by Scary Guy
Funeral information

Just heard from Chris/Moondancer and then texted Chris Evans who used to bounce at City.  Ty Hover has also died, possibly due to issues related to his diabetes.  Sometime between the 5th and 7th.

I'll post more when I know more.

Edited by Scary Guy

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, Scary Guy said:

Just heard from Chris/Moondancer and then texted Chris Evans who used to bounce at City.  Ty Hover has also died, possibly due to issues related to his diabetes.  Sometime between the 5th and 7th.

I'll post more when I know more.

Chris Evans, was that the shorter bald guy that used to bounce at City? I used to hang out with him a lot back in the day. How's he doing, anyone heard from him lately? If this is the same guy I'm thinking of. He was always the coolest bouncer at City in my opinion. He always took time to talk to me even if he was busy AF.  Real down to earth, friendly sort of guy.