Horror Films (lets try 5 max) that everyone should see?

Camp makes things fun though!

Personally I like a (mostly) good series and there are many of those, might as well just get them out of the way now, even if they generally don't need mention and are well known.

Alien(s)/Predator / Child's Play/Chucky / Evil Dead / Friday the 13th / From Dusk 'till Dawn / Halloween / Hellraiser / Leprichan / A Nightmare on Elm Street / Phantasm / Poltergeist / The Puppet Master / The Terminator / Saw / Texas Chainsaw / anything Rob Zombie related

With those out of the way my 5 are:

Movies I couldn't find full versions of on youtube (but you can rent):

Event Horizon

The Thing

Oh I'm totally good with camp, just like I was sayin... different topic.  Could start it right now heh.

Leme see...

Alien (s)

The Mist

Silence of the Lambs

The Shining

Donnie Darko

Man that was hard (even with cheating-ish on Alien(s) to keep it to 5.    Seven,  The House of Usher (with vincent price), Francis Copilas  (totally not "bram stoker's" lol) Dracula and a dozen others we begging to be added. 

I think Saw is a movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Aside from all the gore, it has an actual point, like many people consider this a slasher flick but if you see from another perspective, it is really a psychological thriller too. 

Of course, Nightmare On Elm Street..IMO.

The Omen

Frailty

Evil Dead

(...I have more)

10 hours ago, kat said:

I think Saw is a movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Aside from all the gore, it has an actual point, like many people consider this a slasher flick but if you see from another perspective, it is really a psychological thriller too. 

Of course, Nightmare On Elm Street..IMO.

The Omen

Frailty

Evil Dead

(...I have more)

I debated Elm Street , that really is one that looms large in my  mind, I'm just not sure how "good" it really is, as I've not seen it as an adult. 

The rest I don't think I've actually seen.   Frailty I don't think I even heard of.  *adds to a mental list that is crazy long*  hah. 

11 hours ago, phee said:

The Shining

Alien

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Night of the Living Dead

Jacobs Ladder

I forgot about Jacobs Ladder  , yeah thats one that ...  I didn't realize a lot of people had not seen.  I saw it back when like "real cable" was a thing, watched it a lot as I remember.  Good stuff. 

4 hours ago, Simon Bar Sinister said:

Carnival of Souls

Cemetery Man

Zombi

Night of the Demons (original version)

Three Extremes

Wow interesting list.  Haven't heard of a single one excpet maybe Carnival of Souls but it sounds like something I might have heard of in a different context.... please don't take that as me being negative, just surprising.   Glad you posted it.  Have a favorite among these?  Or "the easiest one to like" at least?  (I have so much on my "to be watched" list , I need to cut it down somehow.  lol

Good to see you on the board as always. 

12 hours ago, Simon Bar Sinister said:

Carnival of Souls

Cemetery Man

Zombi

Night of the Demons (original version)

Three Extremes

Looks down at cemetery man shirt he wore today.... 

Yep pretty good one.

11 hours ago, Troy Spiral said:

Wow interesting list.  Haven't heard of a single one excpet maybe Carnival of Souls but it sounds like something I might have heard of in a different context.... please don't take that as me being negative, just surprising.   Glad you posted it.  Have a favorite among these?  Or "the easiest one to like" at least?  (I have so much on my "to be watched" list , I need to cut it down somehow.  lol

Good to see you on the board as always. 

Easiest one to like is probably Cemetery Man; it's kinda a horror-comedy. As far as a favorite...probably Zombi or Night of the Demons.

On 4/26/2016 at 11:24 AM, Simon Bar Sinister said:

Easiest one to like is probably Cemetery Man; it's kinda a horror-comedy. As far as a favorite...probably Zombi or Night of the Demons.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have to take a look at some point. 

Seems to be a lack of the kind of Quality Film I was referring to.   I think they DO exist, although not in great numbers.    Horror seems to just recently started to have the kind of attention money/writing/directing  that sci fi was lacking up until about 20 years ago.  (Both long looked down upon by "the establishment"  Horror more so than Sci Fi)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
21 hours ago, kat said:

Angel Heart. Not sure why I knew nothing of this movie until yesterday but it's a new favorite. Horrorish/noir style, head trip.

Oh yes.... very underrated film... Not exactly horror but close. Most of the scariest movies are non horror movies with horrifying elements I find (for example Lost Highway or Primer)

I prefer the less gore more psychological horror films.  One of the reasons why I like the Hellraiser series.  It does have gore but it also has that psychological tweek that can mess with your mind.  Another film I find that way is John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

• 4 weeks later...

Hell... Nosforatu. Comon.

Hellraiser (and ive seen them all except the last one (cough bobbi)... this is an example of 'neat' movies, but in the super low quality expectations for horror this, is actually in the running. In any other large genre stuff like much of the above wouldnt make the cut or even be on the potentail list.

Its an interesting phenomenon how 'genre' films get special treatment were other films are expected to stand up to straight quality tests.

Not that I dont do the above myself. Just trying to keep troy's brain honest.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 8:48 PM, Draco1958 said:

I prefer the less gore more psychological horror films.  One of the reasons why I like the Hellraiser series.  It does have gore but it also has that psychological tweek that can mess with your mind.  Another film I find that way is John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

Hah. Draco. 'I prefer less gore...' So...HELLRAISER'  lol. (I do get your point that is just a funny example) I have watched all of them except the most recent one. Thin as hell plots in even the better ones but it does at least in several of them do a decent job with the suspense. Creature feature gore fest's with zero atmospheric scariness are just trash. Life is too short.