Looking Less Goth These Days

I am finding that I am looking less goth these days as I have gotten older.  In fact most of the time I look almost "normal". Whatever "normal" means. Though I still find that I would must rather collect skulls then teddy bears. And if I am shopping for clothes I  end up buying something black. Or dark purple.

First off, it's what you are on the inside that counts.

Second, corporate goth is a thing.  http://www.waningmoon.com/corpgoth/

Although there is something to be said for blending in to survive.  Personally I much prefer to express myself in my outward appearance.

In the end, it should be whatever makes you most comfortable though.

Ladykay, hon, you just be you. I went through the whole I don't look goth thing and then I was like.. what the fuck am I even saying? Lol. I decided that I know who I am and frankly for the work I do I couldn't express myself the way I wanted to so I never got to go full on goth chic in the first place because I started working in the non profit world at like 23 and dealing with courts so my idea look would have been a no no, unfortunately. It's kind of weird now because as I am going on 37 next week, the non profit world is completely cool with the facial piercings, my coworker had green and blue highlights, everyone has tattoos.. Everyone even on their hands, large tats.. In their button down and khakis.. Lol.. It's funny;)

Now what I have realized, getting closer to 40 is that I don't care about what group of people I'm hanging with, if I look silly or am uncomfortable wearing something Goth style I'm just not wearing it. I am wearing what flatters my body, I'm going to do my hair like snooky too if I think it looks cute on me. Lol. Just be comfortable with you and who you are. It's too hard trying to be like everyone else. I was wearing a hoodie and a pair of jeans at the gathering, I felt weird but I always feel weird.. Lol

14 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I am finding that I am looking less goth these days as I have gotten older.  In fact most of the time I look almost "normal". Whatever "normal" means. Though I still find that I would must rather collect skulls then teddy bears. And if I am shopping for clothes I  end up buying something black. Or dark purple.

Hell I'm so un-goth people have no clue.   Other than my wardrobe has a ton of black in it. 

In the last few (literally) weeks I've been "gothing up" a bit more just for fun on Thursday nights at The Gathering but that's about it.   Most of my time is spent with the GF , Helping my mom stay alive and trying to rub two nickels together (along with trying to keep DGN afloat).  Well and keeping my own issues in check.  

Now that I'm a Realtor, I can't do crazy shit like shave my head bald or dye my hair blue.  Such is being an adult.  But when I go out to dark-alt kind of clubs, I do my best to be the shadows.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, kat said:

Ladykay, hon, you just be you. I went through the whole I don't look goth thing and then I was like.. what the fuck am I even saying? Lol. I decided that I know who I am and frankly for the work I do I couldn't express myself the way I wanted to so I never got to go full on goth chic in the first place because I started working in the non profit world at like 23 and dealing with courts so my idea look would have been a no no, unfortunately. It's kind of weird now because as I am going on 37 next week, the non profit world is completely cool with the facial piercings, my coworker had green and blue highlights, everyone has tattoos.. Everyone even on their hands, large tats.. In their button down and khakis.. Lol.. It's funny;)

Now what I have realized, getting closer to 40 is that I don't care about what group of people I'm hanging with, if I look silly or am uncomfortable wearing something Goth style I'm just not wearing it. I am wearing what flatters my body, I'm going to do my hair like snooky too if I think it looks cute on me. Lol. Just be comfortable with you and who you are. It's too hard trying to be like everyone else. I was wearing a hoodie and a pair of jeans at the gathering, I felt weird but I always feel weird.. Lol

Please laugh after reading this.

If I am able to make the next gathering, I'll give your arm a gentle squeeze to see if you feel weird or not.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, kat said:

I totally agree.  I turned 58 a few months ago, I wear black simply because I prefer it.  Want more tats and when I mention that, I get weird looks because of my age.  Just be yourself.  Even if it means dressing to fit in with moguls.  Gotta pay the bills but inside, we have tats, strange hair color and question what the big bright thing is in the sky hiding the moon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2016 at 9:31 AM, kat said:

... I was wearing a hoodie and a pair of jeans at the gathering, ...

Wait...What? Hoodie? Jeans?...Really? Then...what the San Juan Hill was I looking at....:blink:

*searches gathering photos*

On 3/29/2016 at 11:45 PM, LadyKay said:

To be honest, I have never really fully grasped what "Goth" looking truly is. I was informed that I "dress" that way. That makes me feel that "Goths" must wear an awful lot of jersey and jetset materials....

On 3/29/2016 at 11:45 PM, LadyKay said:

Me too honestly.  But I play a goth "look" (even though its not drastic) like one day a week usually, like for fun.   I don't think anyone wants me to re-name the thursday gathering to  "Dress Up Party with food"  though.  hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the last few times I went to the shitty club I came in jeans a shirt and cap.

Except for the fact that I use to bitch about being to skinny then rocketed past my ideal weight I have zero fucks to give about how I look and even less about others.

Unless they just look gross, but I keep it to myself.

I wear black, sometimes all black, and sometimes I wear all black while working the graveyard shift-- but I don't really dress up.  My boss has given me lectures about getting sunlight.  =D  Its easier to fit in more with people by not dressing up more gaudy, though you do lose out on feeling like yourself; the alternative is dressing up more and feeling more like yourself, but having a harder time with jobs and dealing with people in general.  There are pros and cons either way.  When I was younger I wanted snakebite piercings, now I'm 28 and thinking I could live without them.

Edited by Class-Punk