What is a good, fairly easily likeable movie that hasn't gotten the attention you think it should?

I'm thinking of movies that either were released widely but were just "meh" either by the critics or by the $$.

Stephen Spielberg's  A.I.  

Directed at the behest of the venerable Stanley Kubrick by Speelburg)   Apparently Kubrick loved the idea, but told his friend Spielberg that he should direct it as it was more suited to him.   Thus it's a bit more "bleak" of a movie than the usual Spielberg Film.   Spielberg stated that he always had in the back of his mind something along the lines of "What would stan do" when he was making it. 

On 1/18/2016 at 8:12 AM, phee said:

I agree with A.I.

I would also like to add Equilibrium to that. 

Yeah thats a good one too, also fits the "didn't get the attention" aspect more.   I've never talked to anyone that has heard of it until I told them.   Sort of The Matrix meets 1984 /  Brave New World. 

• 1 month later...

"Equilibrium" for the story maybe, but the physics were just completely screwed up.  Yes it's cool but it also hurts my brain to watch that movie.  It did give us that one soundbite in that one Combichrist song though I guess.

Anyway, I highly recommend "God Bless America" (2011) because it was cathartic.  Also, yes the guns do work like that.  Hell if you make it past the opening scene, well gold star for you.

"Adaptation" was great too, especially if you like drugs, flowers, and Nick Cage.

I'm going to say "Dune" because it's old enough most of the kids haven't seen it.  It's pretty much exactly what "Avatar" poorly ripped off.  Some people say it was "Dances With Wolves" but that wasn't set in space although I can see that too.

"Stardust" which I didn't see until just a few years ago and didn't hear much about.  It was a cute as hell fantasy/adventure/love story on par with "The Princess Bride" and "Legend".

"2010" gets almost no mention because it wasn't directed by Kubrick.  Who cares?  It was still a great movie.  Watch "2001" if you haven't and then watch this.

That's all I have for now.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, phee said:

PERFECT DATE MOVIE: Antichrist by Lars von Trier... No other movie creates an atmosphere of romance and and sensuality than this gem. 

trap.jpg

In all seriousness, if you want an actual movie that does what he says and like music and aliens, "The History of Future Folk" is great.  It was on Netflix too although I haven't looked in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah 2010 got the shaft.   It was a good movie. 

The physics?  In Equilibrium? Thats confusing.   This is a "matrix / star wars  / the force  / samurai" film physics don't really apply.    

They'd apply in say:  MOON  totally under the radar meant to be "hard" sci fi.  

Or The Cube movies which are sort of intended as "hard" sci fi (with some horror-ish bits) but with that "the normal physics don't apply in this pocket space ... via science" sort of way. 

My problem with Equilibrium was the "gun kata" or firearms + martial arts.  It's a real thing 

The movie basically "hollywoodifies" it and it does it badly.  Okay lots of the ideas are based in reality but it just never sits right with me.  I accept The Matrix because it's based in a computer.  However Equilibrium is not based in a computer.  The new Robocop was at least more believable than this was (I mean if we're going to talk about removing emotions and making people into superheros, that's the best comparison I can think of.)

Of course I'm probably overthinking it and should really tune out and accept it for the fantasy sc-fi movie that it is akin to stormtroopers missing almost every shot in Star Wars.

This is a horrorish film but I am literally watching it now, I was so impressed with the scene at about an hour and 14 minutes in. I couldn't find the clip but here's a trailer. I'm still stuck on how fucked up this is.

Oh, NSFW BTW.

Edited by kat
The end is perfect! Classic!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2016 at 7:14 PM, phee said:

PERFECT DATE MOVIE: Antichrist by Lars von Trier... No other movie creates an atmosphere of romance and and sensuality than this gem. 

Sounds like a movie bobbi would like from the title anyway.   *sets in list of daunting to-be-taken-in media*

On 4/21/2016 at 6:41 PM, creatureofthenyte said:

The 13th Warrior 

Netflix I think  it was that kept recomendeding that to me for ages, doesn't anymore.   If thats the first movie that comes to mind in a "great movie" type way, I'll have to add it to my mental list , even if the title doesn't strike me as something I'd be into.  (Despite loving Martial Arts movies when I was a kid... and in recent times 7 Samurai and despite it being a Tom Cruze vehicle... The Last Samurai are two of my favs)

On 4/23/2016 at 11:22 AM, kat said:

This is a horrorish film but I am literally watching it now, I was so impressed with the scene at about an hour and 14 minutes in. I couldn't find the clip but here's a trailer. I'm still stuck on how fucked up this is.

Oh, NSFW BTW.

NSFW ... heh...  hell if they ARE safe for work how can they be any good?  (teasing).  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2016 at 11:05 PM, sekhmet2002 said:

I definitely agree with Dune.

"Fairly easy"...  Dune is not easy.  It's a long movie with a slow build that should actually be much longer than it is.  I think they tried doing a miniseries that was still too short and not as good as the original movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)#Early_stalled_attempts the second paragraph from where this starts is good too.