Gothic Culture and Mental Illness

Nitpicking he said he doesn't agree that there is a "correlation" between goth and mental illness.   But then everything after that shows that there IS correlation worse, he points out the circular > CAUSEation<.   (even if he is stoned or something, gotta cut the guy some slack.

Other than that it is interesting to here someone talk about this subject in a more intellectual way, also feel bad for the guy.  I also have seen exactly what hes talking about, (not socially exceptable so he "stops" and then not being able to express himself makes him turn inward and getting really bad. 

"when you look normal people just treat you better"   true , unfortunately.  :(

Edited by Troy Spiral

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't watch the film, but I actually covered the topic as my thesis when working on my popular culture degree (yes, that's a thing, stick it! lol) 

To sum up approximately 10+ pages of heavy study and jargon, I included that, while the gothic culture, was not necessarily correlated, the ability for those who are depressed, bipolar, or have other forms of mental illness can relate to the common imagery, the feeling of separation from mainstream society,   and the attempt to find beauty in darkness and things not normally found beautiful as a way to deal with their own inner demons and illnesses.

Nitpicking he said he doesn't agree that there is a "correlation" between goth and mental illness.   But then everything after that shows that there IS correlation worse, he points out the circular > CAUSEation<.   (even if he is stoned or something, gotta cut the guy some slack.

There is an obvious correlation between goth and mental illness based on that study, but the question is whether gothic culture causes mental illness, or if mental illness pushes someone towards gothic culture.  My present stance is the second one, that mental illness pushes someone towards gothic culture, and that gothic culture acts as a coping mechanism in the case of this type of person-- not that this couldn't be different, but just as a general rule.

The video was flag inappropriate. Anyone know why???

Its age restricted so without a youtube account you may not be able to watch it.

There is an obvious correlation between goth and mental illness based on that study, but the question is whether gothic culture causes mental illness, or if mental illness pushes someone towards gothic culture.  My present stance is the second one, that mental illness pushes someone towards gothic culture, and that gothic culture acts as a coping mechanism in the case of this type of person-- not that this couldn't be different, but just as a general rule.

Its age restricted so without a youtube account you may not be able to watch it.

I agree with yyou here, however 80 percent of us will at some point in our lives face mental illness.