Tuesday night 7/28 a women was shot in the head while she was mowing her lawn by her neighbor. My understanding is that the neighbor asked her to stop mowing at 8:30pm. She did not. So at 9pm while she was still mowing, he shot her dead. Shot her for mowing her lawn. Dang!

Yeah. local paper. Another news store is reporting that he ran over her arm with the lawn mower after shooting her. They have now arrested the guy's mother for trying to hide the gun that he used. She is like 72 years old! This is big news here because this is a small town where everyone knows everyone.

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/article/news/8010721

Dang, that would be big news anywhere...especially due to the level of brutality.  In a small town, that story is big news because everybody knows everybody and you try to understand the motives behind the actions taken by the individual. In a large town or city, that story is big news because you don't know if you're next.

Yep. That was my thoughts, you don't know if your going to be next. What if this guy had been living next door to me and I pissed him off somehow? He could have shot me in the head. To think that someone like that has been walking around town here. Some people have been asking why it took 2hrs to report a gun being shot. But this was outside the city limits and it is normal for people to be target shooting and shooting at ground hogs in their garden, so no one pays much mind to hearing a gun shot outside the city limits.

My family ran a non profit that recruited foster families for children in PA.  My father used to take me to interviews that involved children already living in the homes.  There was a nice farm that we had an interview at but something red flagged the family during the paperwork process.  3 days later the police found the husbands body wrapped up in a rug in the basement with 5 bullet wounds.  It seems that the wife sent the kids to school, shot her husband and hid him in the basement, then tried to tell people that he just ran off.  Small towns sometimes have some pretty scary people in them.

• 2 months later...

My family ran a non profit that recruited foster families for children in PA.  My father used to take me to interviews that involved children already living in the homes.  There was a nice farm that we had an interview at but something red flagged the family during the paperwork process.  3 days later the police found the husbands body wrapped up in a rug in the basement with 5 bullet wounds.  It seems that the wife sent the kids to school, shot her husband and hid him in the basement, then tried to tell people that he just ran off.  Small towns sometimes have some pretty scary people in them.

Yes! I am more tripped out by working with people in the small towns in Monroe county than I have ever been while a Social Worker in the city. These towns people are isolated and have less access to mental health treatment, honestly a big thing is there is a high demand for rural social workers, noone wants to do this type of work for some reason.

There is also a much larger stigma in mental illness. It's a taboo topic in these rural communities. It's a shame, lack of education about the subject in general is a big problem.. The attitude is, "we don't have people like that in our community" smh.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I am more tripped out by working with people in the small towns in Monroe county than I have ever been while a Social Worker in the city. These towns people are isolated and have less access to mental health treatment, honestly a big thing is there is a high demand for rural social workers, noone wants to do this type of work for some reason.

There is also a much larger stigma in mental illness. It's a taboo topic in these rural communities. It's a shame, lack of education about the subject in general is a big problem.. The attitude is, "we don't have people like that in our community" smh.

Update:

The guy is pleading insanity.

• 3 months later...