New goth hotspots

Alright ladies and germs,

I haven't been out in the nightlife in years, which makes me sad and bored. What are the new hotspots for all you kiddies to go out and have a good time? From what I have heard from others, City Club has been pretty much abandoned, and there are new places popping up a lot. I suppose I can still always live vicariously through others.

I've been to Northern Lights for a couple of Goth Nights, it's a pretty nice place. Not sure if those are still going on there though.

Small's in Hamtramck seems to be the place for the CC crowd. Most of the scene shows are happening there. I like Small's. Neighborhood is less sketchy and seems like a better crowd overall. They also have the 'Thirst Wave' events there.

I've been to Northern Lights for a couple of Goth Nights, it's a pretty nice place. Not sure if those are still going on there though.

Small's in Hamtramck seems to be the place for the CC crowd. Most of the scene shows are happening there. I like Small's. Neighborhood is less sketchy and seems like a better crowd overall. They also have the 'Thirst Wave' events there.

I really haven't done much clubbing since "people my age"  kinda migrated out of CC.   Smalls is in a LESS sketching neighborhood than Northern Lights?  That area around smalls I felt like carrying my bowie knife.   I could have just had a bad memory though. 

I thought Northern Lights was actually in a decent area? Not so much?

I really haven't done much clubbing since "people my age"  kinda migrated out of CC.   Smalls is in a LESS sketching neighborhood than Northern Lights?  That area around smalls I felt like carrying my bowie knife.   I could have just had a bad memory though. 

I thought Northern Lights was actually in a decent area? Not so much?

I think there are a lot of people that seem to forget that certain areas of Detroit that are mostly hip and fashionable are still Detroit. Of course, I've always worried about my car getting jacked going anywhere there. I've never really had any problems with the immediate area around Small's, other than a bum looking for change or whatever, but I understand everyone's experiences in Detroit are different animals.  I also was speaking of the differences in neighborhoods between CC and Northern Lights. I did feel safer in the area that NL is located in compared to CC.

Kind of the reason I've never eaten at Slow's BBQ, even though I've always wanted to try it. I've heard the service is questionable, and it is in a pretty terrible section of the city.

However, Harpo's, at I-94 and Chalmers Ave, has always been the worst. So many things have nearly happened to me, or happened to friends of mine going there over the years that I am glad most shows have been happening at places other than Harpo's.

Necto is a nice club as others have said. I've seen Suicide Commando and Icon of Coil there, and those were some pretty unforgettable performances. Of course, Necto is also in Ann Arbor, which has always been a safe place.

Edited by DJ Nihil

However, Harpo's, at I-94 and Chalmers Ave, has always been the worst. So many things have nearly happened to me, or happened to friends of mine going there over the years that I am glad most shows have been happening at places other than Harpo's.

Harpo's is pure shit and I will never go back to that area.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and info. I really appreciate it. I have been out of the loop for a long time.

I think there are a lot of people that seem to forget that certain areas of Detroit that are mostly hip and fashionable are still Detroit. Of course, I've always worried about my car getting jacked going anywhere there. I've never really had any problems with the immediate area around Small's, other than a bum looking for change or whatever, but I understand everyone's experiences in Detroit are different animals.  I also was speaking of the differences in neighborhoods between CC and Northern Lights. I did feel safer in the area that NL is located in compared to CC.

Kind of the reason I've never eaten at Slow's BBQ, even though I've always wanted to try it. I've heard the service is questionable, and it is in a pretty terrible section of the city.

Necto is a nice club as others have said. I've seen Suicide Commando and Icon of Coil there, and those were some pretty unforgettable performances. Of course, Necto is also in Ann Arbor, which has always been a safe place.

Necto seems like the "safest" place but except for A2 people also on average I think its a longer drive for most (I'm dead in the middle) but its... monday ugh, worst possible day for most people.  ha.

My house (and the GFs house which i think of as "my" house) just got broken into so im a bit more concerned about this stuff than i used to be.  Started carrying my pocket knife (which is fairly large) and am saving up for a 9mm also bought a lot of home security crap that I cant afford.

My house (and the GFs house which i think of as "my" house) just got broken into so im a bit more concerned about this stuff than i used to be.  Started carrying my pocket knife (which is fairly large) and am saving up for a 9mm also bought a lot of home security crap that I cant afford.

Justifiably so. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the final answer is:

Small's  and Necto it seems. 

I miss the place that was like 3 (?) floors tall and was almost exclusively a "gothy" place.  Forget the name of that joint. 

Mephistos possibly. It was a converted house in Hamtramck.

I actually went to the Grasshopper about a month ago. It was hilariously dead.

Yeah Mephistos!  Is the Grasshopper what it is now or is it related to it or something?

No, the Grasshopper is something completely unrelated to Mephistos. The Grasshopper is a small underground bar in Ferndale that has theme nights, and every Tuesday is goth night. I should have been clearer when I was explaining myself, sorry dude. I don't know what has become of the house that used to be Mephistos...I have not been in Hamtramck in a long time.

Edited by EatAjaxAndDie
Clarification.

No, the Grasshopper is something completely unrelated to Mephistos. The Grasshopper is a small underground bar in Ferndale that has theme nights, and every Tuesday is goth night. I should have been clearer when I was explaining myself, sorry dude. I don't know what has become of the house that used to be Mephistos...I have not been in Hamtramck in a long time.

Sounds intersting.  I'm in ferndale most weekends (uber driving) , I assume there is no sign saying "the grasshopper" if its an underground bar. 

Sounds intersting.  I'm in ferndale most weekends (uber driving) , I assume there is no sign saying "the grasshopper" if its an underground bar. 

It's at 9 and Woodward, and I don't think there was much of a sign for it. You may have seen it driving around anyways...here is their website so you can see the place: http://www.thegrasshopperunderground.com/

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2015 at 9:25 PM, kat said:

Downtown D? Circa 1998?

On 10/28/2015 at 8:18 AM, EatAjaxAndDie said:

Mephistos possibly. It was a converted house in Hamtramck.

I actually went to the Grasshopper about a month ago. It was hilariously dead.

Not sure how I missed these replies.  Yeah Mephistos was the place.  Seemed like they worked really hard to make it an actual "gothic" place and was decorated as such, rather than just a regular club that happens to have a "goth night " (as if there is such a thing).  

We should probably make a topic with all the places / nights that are options (and verified by someone on the board as still being open / active).