Erratic sleep is always an issue

I have always had trouble shutting my mind off so sleep has always been an issue for me.  I have been averaging only about 3 or 4 hours a night since I was a teenager.  The problem always gets worse when depression or stress are involved.  Recently I have noticed a very disturbing bout of erratic sleep.  I will be unable to sleep for days and then spend a day where I sleep off and on for about an hour at a time.  The most disturbing part is that I don't have any warning about the "nap" coming on.  I just sort of pass out randomly while doing something and then wake up an hour later.  I don't even feel tired before it happens.  I am guessing that the not sleeping is caused by my stress and depression and the crashes are simply exhaustion but it is still unnerving.  

Has, or is, there anyone else dealing with similar issues?  I wouldn't mind any advice if anyone has any as well.

"Racing Thoughts" as they call them suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.   Just leme turn my brain off and 1. fall asleep (hard but not impossible)  and then STAY asleep (and get non shitty sleep).  Please. 

Might wana get  a sleep study done.  Helped me some. Medical Weed has helped a little too (have a card) but nothing has "fixed" it.   /bummerface

I actually suffer the exact same erratic sleep patterns as described by michael840. On a good, non-stressful day, I can easily sleep 4 to 6 hours with no problem. However, when things become fast-paced, deadline dates approaching, accounting issues arise or build projects cause overnighters, I can go anywhere from 24 to 48 hours without sleep. While I'm up (vertical) and working, I have no feeling of fatigue. However, once I sit down or get off my feet in any manner, I'm out like a light anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 or 4 hours without warning. That's when I know I'm exhausted.

Once I realize I'm in the exhausted stage I handle it a couple of ways. If time is permitting and I have no emergencies I will take an entire day to recuperate, relax and get my biorhythms back inline. I find that chakra meditation helps a lot. However, if I find myself in a situation where it is a must that I keep moving, (once I wake up) I take a short break to rehydrate and fill up on protein. I usually drink various forms of hydrators (usually posted in the Now Drinking tread) as well as partake of various forms of protein bars (usually posted in the Now Eating thread).

Currently, given the added situation with on-call care, I have started lifting weights again to gain stamina. However, that can be a double edge sword if you exercise at the wrong time. You can end up completely throwing off your sleep rhythm. So exercise responsibly.

Might wana get  a sleep study done.  Helped me some. Medical Weed has helped a little too (have a card) but nothing has "fixed" it.   /bummerface

I don't have insurance yet so I haven't gone for any medical testing or treatment on the issue.  I did have a sleep study done when I was in 4th grade as part of a study the university was doing on grade levels vs sleep patterns.  They found that most of the kids that sleep less than 8 hours a night were actually getting better grades.  Seems kind of odd.  Their theory was that it was due to the fact that our brains were more active and that caused us to sleep less.  I don't know if I would want to try medical weed.  I went through a rebellious stage as a teenager and I ended up getting kind of mean and anti social.  All I wanted to do was spend time in the garage building stuff, mostly bongs.  lol 

I find that chakra meditation helps a lot. However, if I find myself in a situation where it is a must that I keep moving, (once I wake up) I take a short break to rehydrate and fill up on protein. I usually drink various forms of hydrators (usually posted in the Now Drinking tread) as well as partake of various forms of protein bars (usually posted in the Now Eating thread).

Currently, given the added situation with on-call care, I have started lifting weights again to gain stamina. However, that can be a double edge sword if you exercise at the wrong time. You can end up completely throwing off your sleep rhythm. So exercise responsibly.

I have tried regular meditation with little success, I haven't tried chakra meditation.  I have a few friends who teach Thi Chi so maybe I will discuss that with them.  I am horrible with keeping hydrated so that is a possible next step.  My diet is mostly meat and potatoes, I grew up in an Irish family surrounded by farms so I can't really help that.  lol.  

Thank you both for the ideas.  If it does seem to get worse, I will seek a doctor to do a sleep study.  I am just not a big fan of doctors most of the time.  They seem to over medicate at times.  I would probably try the medical weed before taking sleeping pills though.  Seems like a safer option in the long run. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/20/2015 at 10:55 PM, michael840 said:

I have always had trouble shutting my mind off so sleep has always been an issue for me.  I have been averaging only about 3 or 4 hours a night since I was a teenager.  The problem always gets worse when depression or stress are involved.  Recently I have noticed a very disturbing bout of erratic sleep.  I will be unable to sleep for days and then spend a day where I sleep off and on for about an hour at a time.  The most disturbing part is that I don't have any warning about the "nap" coming on.  I just sort of pass out randomly while doing something and then wake up an hour later.  I don't even feel tired before it happens.  I am guessing that the not sleeping is caused by my stress and depression and the crashes are simply exhaustion but it is still unnerving.  

Has, or is, there anyone else dealing with similar issues?  I wouldn't mind any advice if anyone has any as well.

Same here since I moved to Texas from Oregon my sleep has been very erratic I may only sleep for three hours a day and I still have to go to work and take care of sick my dad.

Edited by DevilishLustyDesires