I am new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Michael.  I just moved to Novi, Mi from central PA.  The only person I know here is my girlfriend.  She grew up in the area and has family here but I don't really know them.  I used to help with exotic animal rescue in Pa so I do have some pet snakes and reptiles.  I am always up for helping if anyone has questions or needs help with exotic pets.  I am also experienced as a cook and am working on my own cook book so it would be nice to make friends who would be willing to help with recipe ideas or as taste testers.  I used to live a fairly exciting life but have calmed down considerably over the years.  My friends used to refer to me as "Grunge Goth" because I am sort of a mix of several different sub cultures.  I am on facebook so feel free to look me up or contact me if you want.  I use my full name, Michael Sweeney, and my picture is blurry but it is me juggling fire.  I hope to hear from some cool and interesting people on here.

Greetings and may I officially Welcome you to DGN!

Please feel free to look around and join in the fun. And do let us know if you should need any assistance.

smeyat_061213.thumb.png.f6ce4cd6cdd510a7

We are currently in the midst of a forum upgrade so some features may change from time to time. 

I see you mentioned experience as a cook. We have another cook on site, Corvus, that you may want to get in touch with to bounce ideas off of: personal chef

Although I see you have provided a lot of information about yourself, we also have Welcome questions...

*drum roll*

The DGN (welcome) Questions 2.1 ™ ©
Formerly the "S.D.G.N.W.Q.P.S." The Standard Detroit Gothic . Net Welcome Questions Polls and Suggestions 1.7b

Feel free to ignore anything you feel uncomfortable sharing, dont have the energy for or have covered already. We are just friendly, if a bit nosey. And we ask these same questions fairly often as you may have noticed. laugh.gif 

Current location?
Where from?
Gender?
Work?
School?
Kids?
Married?
Single? 
Hobbies?
How Did You Find / hear about DGN?
How did you pick your DGN name?
Other Stuff?

Additional ideas / questions:

Add yourself to the DGN member map!

If you live close enough, are old enough (18+ for City Club) and/or are ever in town you may want to check out:

"DGN Night"

Or you can find out about other events near your area with the

The Events Calender

Some folk also enjoy our random pot of:

Quizzes & Polls !

How did you hear about DGN? Poll

And we can always use help finding new friendly people. Help us out and drag em on over! 
If you have a website / personal journal link to us! wink.gif

Greetings and may I officially Welcome you to DGN!

Please feel free to look around and join in the fun. And do let us know if you should need any assistance.

smeyat_061213.thumb.png.f6ce4cd6cdd510a7

We are currently in the midst of a forum upgrade so some features may change from time to time. 

I see you mentioned experience as a cook. We have another cook on site, Corvus, that you may want to get in touch with to bounce ideas off of: personal chef

Although I see you have provided a lot of information about yourself, we also have Welcome questions...

*drum roll*

That would be me. Hello.

We will have to bounce ideas off each other some time.  My main influences are Italian, German, and a bit of home style pa dutch.  I guess you would say I cook a fusion style.  The book I am working on is going to be called "Rustic Flare."  The idea is using rusting ingredients in new and interesting ways.  There will also be a lot of cast iron and slow cooking. 

Current location? Novi
Where from? A small town called Centre Hall just outside of State College PA.  I refer to it as Pensyltucky
Gender? Male
Work? Not at the moment.  I have only been here about 2 weeks and haven't had very much good luck.  I have an extensive resume though.
School? Not currently.  I was out of high school at 16, graduated beauty school at 17 and did double semesters at college and upset a professor by proving him wrong in a lecture causing me to not get my degree. 
Kids? No children but I do have several rescue animals, snakes, reptiles, and 2 dogs, from central PA.
Married? Divorced
Single?  I have a girlfriend so I am not single.
Hobbies? Many.  Cooking, singing, playing guitar, juggling, sewing, cutting hair, building model cars, riding motorcycle.
How Did You Find / hear about DGN? Google search of Detroit Gothic night life
How did you pick your DGN name? It's just my name
Other Stuff? I don't really know what to put in other stuff.  I am sort of a complicated person, as are we all, so you will probably have to specify if there is something you are really interested in knowing about me.  I do talk a lot though so I may get annoying or drive you insane but I think that makes it more interesting anyway.

Current location? Novi
Where from? A small towPennsylvantre Hall just outside of State College PA.  I refer to it as Pensyltucky
Gender? Male
Work? Not at the moment.  I have only been here about 2 weeks and haven't had very much good luck.  I have an extensive resume though.
School? Not currently.  I was out of high school at 16, graduated beauty school at 17 and did double semesters at college and upset a professor by proving him wrong in a lecture causing me to not get my degree. 
Kids? No children but I do have several rescue animals, snakes, reptiles, and 2 dogs, from central PA.
Married? Divorced
Single?  I have a girlfriend so I am not single.
Hobbies? Many.  Cooking, singing, playing guitar, juggling, sewing, cutting hair, building model cars, riding motorcycle.
How Did You Find / hear about DGN? Google search of Detroit Gothic night life
How did you pick your DGN name? It's just my name
Other Stuff? I don't really know what to put in other stuff.  I am sort of a complicated person, as are we all, so you will probably have to specify if there is something you are really interested in knowing about me.  I do talk a lot though so I may get annoying or drive you insane but I think that makes it more interesting anyway.

Welcome to DGN. I'm lmao because, I'm not sure if you watch the show, Orange Is The New Black but one of the inmates in the show is named Pensyltucky!

I do not watch that show.  I was averaging around 90 hours a week working in kitchens back home and then doing exotic animal rescue in my spare time so I have missed a lot of good shows.  I am hoping to catch up on some of them now though.  I used to tell people that I knew I was home when I heard the banjos playing and saw the PBR cans with bullet holes in them.  The sad part is that it is true.  lol

I do not watch that show.  I was averaging around 90 hours a week working in kitchens back home and then doing exotic animal rescue in my spare time so I have missed a lot of good shows.  I am hoping to catch up on some of them now though.  I used to tell people that I knew I was home when I heard the banjos playing and saw the PBR cans with bullet holes in them.  The sad part is that it is true.  lol

Lol, I came from the SW side of Detroit, Mexicantown area, lots of bullet holes there too:)   (BTW you're gf probably knows about Mexicantown, I highly recommend you take a trip down there, so many great restaurants and stores).

I probably will at some point.  Still not used to the roads or the amount of people.  I am used to seeing maybe one car a week drive past my house, other than my neighbors.  It was even common to have a shooting range in your own back yard.  We were on a small plot for the area, only 9 and a half achers, and used to shoot from our back deck to sight in rifles.  lol.  I have a pistol that I kept but I have to find a shooting range around here that isn't expensive.  

Hiya!

I probably used to be "grung goth" but I actually started weary the black-heavy stuff before i ever heard of grunge or goth, I wore it because I saw this show about some artist cololny and at the time (and all through school) I had planned on being a fine artist. (brrrrt didn't work out lol) but I just thought it was "expressive" or "artistic" later aka 25 years ago, I found out about goth (and grunge) at almost the same time.   Now i dress more "dressy" although almost all my clothes are black.  Not that it matters , very few people are "actual goths" I'm not even sure I'm  an "actual goth".  

I don't know what counts as "exotic" but my GF has a Skenk (?) I always pronounce it "skank"  hah.  A snake and has been through all sorts of crazy stuff including an arctic fox. 

Mostly now I just try to keep my various illnesses at bay and work on DGN when I can (and play MTG)

Hope to see you around!  We are (slowly) working on upgrading the website and then maybe adding like a monthly get together.  DGN used to be like a 900 posts a day mega-active clubbing every weeked place but its become more low key in recent years.

hope to see you around.

I find the gothic subculture is the most excepting.  That is sort of why I got into it.  It doesn't matter how you dress.  Goth is about a state of mind.  Seeing beauty in things that most people don't.  I believe what we call the original gothic movement was actually started by a group of artists who wanted to highlight the beauty in darker imagery in the late 70's early 80's.  People who are drawn to it seem to be very open minded and excepting.  They also tend to be fairly well educated and well versed in multiple subjects.  This makes a lot of sense when you consider that most people don't want to even think about most of the things that we try to surround ourselves with everyday.  It also rather interesting how we seem to celebrate life by surrounding ourselves with reminders of death, we are happy thinking of things that are depressing, and we find comfort in, what some would consider, pain.  This is just a generalized observation of course but it makes a lot of sense to me.  

I myself got into the subculture are a young age.  My grandfather was rather eccentric and he wanted me to live an extraordinary life.  (I won't go into full details on here but I have some pretty crazy stories from my youth and am happy to share them sometime.)  He became ill and I felt lost and forgotten.  My parents never seemed to have time for me as a child.  I was 14 when my grandfather passed away and the only clothing I wear that isn't black are dress shirts, normally grey or purple, or a uniform if my job requires it.   

Beyond that I have had more than my fair share of medical issues, mainly due to injuries connected to the interesting stories from my youth.  My medical records tend to hold me back from different things in my life because it makes people look at me as a liability.  I pride myself in doing things that even doctors say I shouldn't be able to though and I refuse to let them hold me back.  

I'm late here but welcome! We're very glad that you are here. I am the girlfriend Troy mentioned with the mini petting zoo. It's not as crazy as it used to be but I currently have an Australian blue-tongue skink, a sulcata tortoise, a ball python, and a chinchilla. I also have four cats that I care for, three of which have adopted me although they are mostly feral still. I grew up with many different animals as pets. My father has a passion for exotic pets, as do I. I grew up with a lioness for a year or two, several raccoons, a number of skunks, two arctic foxes, prairie dogs, etc. Some of those were my family pets, some were my own. Either way, I love exotics and more mainstream pets as well.

Currently we have 3 red eared sliders, 2 ball pythons, 1 Brazilian rainbow boa, 1 jeweled lacerta, 1 crested gecko, 1 desert gecko, and 2 dogs.  All are rescues.  I had to rehome a 20 gallon fresh water tank with several topical fish and a 35 gallon salt water tank that I saved from a dumpster during the winter with living fish in it, and my cat went to my mother's house.

My great uncle was a snake milker for the Florida zoo and I used to help him during the summer.  At my worst I had 150 snakes, 32 tarantulas, 26 scorpions, 8 dogs, 14 cats, 3 fish tanks, and 5 rabbits.  They were all rescues because the local shelters would call me when they didn't know how to handle them.  I have even had the police call me to remove illegal venomous snakes from frat houses near the local college.