sure, if you want to be mundane about it....

Little confused as to what you mean, as "the meaning of life" assumes, that there is "meaning" , maybe there isn't any meaning? I mean maybe there is, but either way it seems very far away from a simpleminded/bland question? No?

i meant, defining the meaning of life as "why are we here" is rote, common, mundane - it's the thing everyone says. "why are we here" and "what is the meaning of life" and what is the meaning of *my* life" are three entirely separate questions, if that makes sense...

• 5 weeks later...

I personally feel that the meaning of life is down to simple experience.  Now this is a very simplified explanation and even I can't even fully comprehend how to fully understand or explain it in it's entirety but I can attempt to elaborate

Let's use the most commonly supported theory that all of our memories are simply a combination of electrical pulses traveling down different neural pathways causing chemical reactions and even more electrical pulses.  

Now we know that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted or stored..  So where do these random pulses of energy go after we experience them?  I personally feel that they are recycled and stored in a sort of universal data stream that makes up the universe around us.  Each pulse may be insignificant as an individual in the grand scheme of things but the pure volume and how they interact causes constant changes.  

Due to this personal belief, I feel that I must experience as much as possible in the short time I have.  One thing is for sure, I will not go to the grave as a beautiful corpse.  I will skid in sideways say "That was an amazing ride."   

i meant, defining the meaning of life as "why are we here" is rote, common, mundane - it's the thing everyone says. "why are we here" and "what is the meaning of life" and what is the meaning of *my* life" are three entirely separate questions, if that makes sense...

Yeah it makes sense.  I guess it also implies "what is the meaning of HUMAN life without much question." But I definitely am asking in the sense of "all life" rather than just say  "troys life".  

I personally feel that the meaning of life is down to simple experience.  Now this is a very simplified explanation and even I can't even fully comprehend how to fully understand or explain it in it's entirety but I can attempt to elaborate

Let's use the most commonly supported theory that all of our memories are simply a combination of electrical pulses traveling down different neural pathways causing chemical reactions and even more electrical pulses.  

Now we know that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted or stored..  So where do these random pulses of energy go after we experience them?  I personally feel that they are recycled and stored in a sort of universal data stream that makes up the universe around us.  Each pulse may be insignificant as an individual in the grand scheme of things but the pure volume and how they interact causes constant changes.  

Due to this personal belief, I feel that I must experience as much as possible in the short time I have.  One thing is for sure, I will not go to the grave as a beautiful corpse.  I will skid in sideways say "That was an amazing ride."   

Thats pretty interesting and it  is hard to grasp.   The explanation there is essentially "life is 'universal  information acquisition" and that information (brain impulses) just get recycled after we kick.  Which probably is, scientifically, the "correct" answer.   So in some sense that means either 1. life is "meaningless" as in, there is no "point to it , as in, god or someone gave us a mission" or 2. that "the point" is just to experience things and to not sound so mundane, somehow add to the 'net total experience". 

Not that I totally agree 100% , just that I was trying to re-state what you said with a bit of a different spin just to be clear on what you were getting at (or make it clear that I DIDN" get what you meant lol)

You pretty much have the concept.  My personal ideas on it get slightly more complex but this was just the basic start of my theory.  I guess you can also look at it as us all being a single line in a super complex computer program.  Each line seems insignificant but the calculations in each line are important no matter how small and insignificant they seem.

What I meant by "why we are here" was meant as possibly what we accomplished in our lives. Are we to do nothing but work with barely no free time or are we maybe here to just experience everything possible as michael840 has mentioned. Which is it? Or is it a balance of the two? Then again, do we even matter to the universe even the slightest bit and we are just being self absorbed?

I think we should be at least slightly self absorbed.  Even though we should experience as much as we can, working has become a necessity in our society.  I tend to go between making workaholics cringe and making bums call me lazy.  I have never been able to find a good balance.  The plus side is that I end up banking money when I work which is then used to fund my crazy adventures when I am being lazy.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure this question ever seriously gets asked.  I know what you mean in the sense that the question "sounds" mundane in that , its a commonly heard question.  But I'd venture to say few take the time to actually formulate a real answer, they just blow it off as if its a non-issue.  Were as say... the latest pop song or or something takes precedence.  (as an example).  I'd say its fairly rare / novel / unusual for anyone to actually ask that question and meant it.