http://www.space.com/29041-alien-life-evidence-by-2025-nasa.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/08/nasa-alien-life_n_7023134.html

We have been looking for "intelligent life" for a long time in space, and I doubt we will find it in a decade or less.

Also, the comments on the Space.com article are hilarious.

It does seem like the odds are increasing whereas before it was pretty much just a big joke. We still haven't even found a microbe outside of the earth yet though, so I'm not getting my hopes up until we at least find SOME form of life , even if its just a single celled do-nothing. Very interesting subject though. I read Discover and Popular Science (paper is trendy now, but i never left hah)

It does seem like the odds are increasing whereas before it was pretty much just a big joke. We still haven't even found a microbe outside of the earth yet though, so I'm not getting my hopes up until we at least find SOME form of life , even if its just a single celled do-nothing. Very interesting subject though. I read Discover and Popular Science (paper is trendy now, but i never left hah)

The likelihood of finding a single celled organism is much more likely than some sort of conscious being.

If we do find intelligent aliens, humanity would shit itself. I don't think humans could deal very well knowing we were no longer "special." There is also the possibility that the aliens could be predatory (as in the Alien or Predator series.)

I'm curious about that. I mean lets say we got a confirmed "alien intelligence" signal from some far away place, would humanity just go bonkers and self destruct due to this news? I'm guessing not. It would be disturbing to some, facinating to others , irrelvant to some (like my mother who is more concerned about the dishes than she is say, war in Iraq).

Would depend on the how/when/what i think. I'm hoping (and hopeful) that we will find SOME kind of life outside of earth (probably like algae living under the ice of Europa or something) which WOULD make me shit my pants but probably not your average joe.

The prospect of finding INTELLIGENT life in my lifetime seems unlikely, just seems like there is SO much that has to go "right" for intelligent life to happen that if it does exist its so far away that we probably wont have any contact with it any time soon. Just a guess at this point (and one I might change my mind about at any moment).

I'm curious about that. I mean lets say we got a confirmed "alien intelligence" signal from some far away place, would humanity just go bonkers and self destruct due to this news? I'm guessing not. It would be disturbing to some, facinating to others , irrelvant to some (like my mother who is more concerned about the dishes than she is say, war in Iraq).

Would depend on the how/when/what i think. I'm hoping (and hopeful) that we will find SOME kind of life outside of earth (probably like algae living under the ice of Europa or something) which WOULD make me shit my pants but probably not your average joe.

The prospect of finding INTELLIGENT life in my lifetime seems unlikely, just seems like there is SO much that has to go "right" for intelligent life to happen that if it does exist its so far away that we probably wont have any contact with it any time soon. Just a guess at this point (and one I might change my mind about at any moment).

If we were to get a confirmed alien life signal from somewhere, I can assure you I would brown my undies. That would be the scariest/most exciting news of my life.

I do wonder how our scientific community would react to the news that a single celled organism was found. It's not the end all finding of "intelligent" life, but it proves life could exist elsewhere. Your normal Joe and Jane Six-Pack wouldn't give a shit about it.

As for humans going bonkers when reacting to the news that we found alien life, I believe it would happpen, but more so if they were to actually show up on Earth. The aliens land and then we meet them with torches and pitchforks. The human propensity for technological singularity and violence is quite well known.