New Google Doodle Honors Instant Noodle Inventor Momofuku Ando

New Google Doodle Honors Instant Noodle Inventor Momofuku Ando

Kevin McSpadden @KevinMcspadden
March 4, 2015
Peel off lid. Pour boiling water. Steep for three minutes. Stir well and serve.
Thursday marks the 105th birthday of Taiwanese-Japanese inventor Momofuku Ando, whose instant noodles revolutionized the food world, and Google is honoring this king of quick cuisine with a new Google Doodle.
As TIME wrote back in 2006, “In 1958, Momofuku Ando, an unassuming entrepreneur living in Osaka, created the instant noodle — and a continent has been feasting on his invention ever since.”
However, the road was not easy for the founder of Nissin Food Products. Ando struggled to find the right balance and create noodles that were tasty but did not become mush when boiled. The secret, learned from his wife, was to spray the noodles with chicken soup and then fry them in tempura oil.
The instant noodle, a dietary staple for every college student from Asia to America, had come to fruition.
Ando was born during the Japanese occupation of Taiwan in 1910, moved to Japan at the age of 23 became a Japanese citizen following World War II. He died in Osaka on Jan. 5, 2007, at the age of 96
Momofuku Ando

March 5, 1910 - January 5, 2007

Actually makes me hungry for some noodles right now. However, I do find it interesting that since my "issue" got worse, the only noodles I am still able to eat are Nissin Souper Meal and Nissin Chow Mein noodles.