I feel like such a hypocrite.
Blah Blah Blah, step out of your comfort zone.
Blah Blah Blah, seize the day.
Blah Blah Blah, don't let negative things affect you.
Blah Blah Blah, look to the good.
It's always hard to hear that people want you to disappear off the face of the Earth, but even worse that they are really ignorant as to why they feel that way.
I feel so tired of trying to act like it doesn't really bother me to hear outsiders (be it in the U.S. or another country) dump on what they currently know and see about this old run down city of Detroit. But me, knowing what it used to be, before "The Powers That Be" got scared of all the non-Caucasians with power in Detroit and ran the Lodge Freeway through Black Bottom, this undesirable city used to be self-sufficient. It had everything it needed. There weren't even homeless people in Detroit during that time because everything was like a profit share type situation, even to the point of shared consumer markets, housing and healthcare services. But these entrepreneurs were of the wrong race, color, whatever you want to P.C. the term as and therefore had to be stopped.
In present day, Citizens of Detroit currently get screwed on regular basis and it's all we can do to stay one step ahead of the next "Big Business" who has bought up the land that was allowed to go desolate so it could be sold to the highest bidder, which, of course, isn't someone who is just above poverty level.
On June 4 of this year, my family was celebrating because we finally got our land back that the city illegally stole from us, allowed it to be held for "no taxes paid" (because they kept returning my payment), and sold it, along with 1,700 other "blighted" lots, to Hantz Woodlands for tree farming, thus proclaiming, "The Hantz Woodland is clearly one of the more fascinating blight busting projects in Detroit." We shocked Hantz when we fought to get our land back that we have owned for nearly 20 years.
But when you live in a city with "powers" that are increasingly looking toward the next hand with the largest amount of cash in it, well surely it's no wonder Detroiters are losing their homes for being charged $10,000 water bills (since a water bill is a lien on the property) or for missing part of a payment on fluctuating taxes (that you were unaware of until someone puts the "In Foreclosure" sign on your front door and that's only if they bothered to do even that...many just wake up or come home to their belongings being put out on the curb because the bank now owns your home and it just got put into a real estate lot on hold to be sold to the next highest bidder all because you missed paying $1.17 that wouldn't show up until your next tax bill statement 6 months from then).
And the stories continue...
So after destroying this once proud and flourishing human settlement, it is no wonder that politicians are looking to be the next Savior of a City in Ruin because that's all Detroit has become...a political chess piece with a guaranteed claim to fame...
Edited by TronRP

That is pretty shitty.

If Detroit is a blight on America, it is that way because America made it that way. That much I can say. The city needs help, a lot of it. If ever there were an example of the American way of doing things; Detroit is it.

Be aware though ; not everyone you think is shitting on your city is actually shitting on it, many are simply trying to raise awareness of what is going on and find ways to help.

That is pretty shitty.

If Detroit is a blight on America, it is that way because America made it that way. That much I can say. The city needs help, a lot of it. If ever there were an example of the American way of doing things; Detroit is it.

Be aware though ; not everyone you think is shitting on your city is actually shitting on it, many are simply trying to raise awareness of what is going on and find ways to help.

Believe it or not, having been born and raised in Detroit, I am very well aware of what you mentioned...the point I was making, however, was summed up in my final statement of the opening post.

The fact is there are many organizations working within Detroit to make it a better city and point out where the assistance is truly needed. The issue is they are not as easily heard in the form of Main Media, unless you know where to look. (Examples: Crain's Detroit Business, The Michigan Citizen, Michigan Chronicle, Metro Times, etc.) Unfortunately, organizations trying to help the city contradict the image of the master plan that Detroit needs so...much...help and "should be it's own crater"... :sad:

Having personally been and active volunteer in the "Beautification of Detroit" and in place to make city construction contract bids as well as being responsible for overseeing property purchases and lot owner reassignment, it is hard not to see who actually holds the reins on what does and/or does not get done here and it's usually the not so good information that makes for the better political platform point.

I was here when the city had something to offer, the word "blight" wasn't a "catch phrase" and opportunities existed. When Downtown was a major hot spot for winter festival activities from the "Lighting of the City" to the "Macy's Winter Wonderland" walk through at Macy's on Woodward to getting the chance to participate as one of the citywide marching bands in the Thanksgiving Day Parade that ran through the heart of the city. When Cobo Hall was the main General Welfare center for the citizens and local artist, cinema, new businesses and 5 star restaurants were hosted at the Renaissance Center. When Hart Plaza was the coolest year round hangout and The Ford Auditorium gave free concerts. When a school field trip was a bus ride through the "Belle Isle Tunnel" to the "Belle Isle Zoo". When all of Albert Kahn's buildings still belonged to the City of Detroit and were part of the "Downtown Detroit Sightseeing Tour" and the "New Center One Building" was under development and was to play host to a new “Cultural Center” type atmosphere. When General Motors actually worked out of Cadillac Place on West Grand Blvd and Detroit was known as "The Motor City Home of the Motown Sound". (I could reminisce forever)

Having lived that and seeing where it is now and knowing how it got this way then hearing people's opinions of how they feel about it now is what is truly heartbreaking.

Every time I gaze across the river at the city I lived in from 1979 until 2002, my heart aches. I miss her so. I hope the day comes when I can return.

You, Marci, Dave and I, plus our gang of loud mini me's can get a big mansion in downtown detroit. You men can go work and Marci and I will stay home fondling each other while the kids are at school. I like this plan... I think we should start it in motion.

I hope the city gets it's house back in order. Otherwise, the only ones who lose are the people who put their work in, like the city employees who are likely to get their pensions messed with... my step dad was a city cop for a looooooong time, and depends on his pension. :/

I dont think it will ever return to what it once was (pre 1950). There are too many at fault and number one is the average person living there. Some would love a change and are fine citizens but the majority arent.

Prick,

Can you provide data or evidence other than anecdotal to support your statement? My experience as someone whom was born, raised, educated and began his family and career inside the city limits of Detroit does not fit your statement.

Personally i love the city. We would like to be able to live there one day. The philosophy of tits and I is that the city does need good people. If good people don't move or live there, how will it get better.

Prick,

Can you provide data or evidence other than anecdotal to support your statement? My experience as someone whom was born, raised, educated and began his family and career inside the city limits of Detroit does not fit your statement.

I think the crime and lack of up keep of many of the lived in homes proves this.

My experience is that about 75% of the people I've known across 3.5 decades in the city (I still work there) are good people. That 25pct of aholes is a large number but by no means a majority.

In fact I experienced more crime living outside of Detroit than I did inside. In 3.5 decades I've had to deal with one violent crime and one theft.

Dearborn gave me 3 violent instances, all being excessive force by the PD

Southgate I experienced theft 3 times in 10 years and was personally affected by violence 4x.

My experience is that about 75% of the people I've known across 3.5 decades in the city (I still work there) are good people. That 25pct of aholes is a large number but by no means a majority.

In fact I experienced more crime living outside of Detroit than I did inside. In 3.5 decades I've had to deal with one violent crime and one theft.

Dearborn gave me 3 violent instances, all being excessive force by the PD

Southgate I experienced theft 3 times in 10 years and was personally affected by violence 4x.

That may be true in your expierience but more crime and murders happens in Detroit as a whole. How many of our friends have been a victim right at City Club

I think that it can change. The demolition of all of the abandoned, burned-out homes is a pretty good start. The residents of these neighborhoods want this change as much as we do. It's happening. Slowly, but it's happening. I hope to live long enough to see it.

agreed. ..everyone I talk to are saying this new police chief and mayor are no bullshit.