What Is The Future Of The Goth Scene?

This topic has been on my mind for awhile now, and after being unable to come to a conclusion about the growth of the goth scene, the idea occurred to me from some historian I read that widespread hedonism or revelry within society can be a mark of its impending collapse. I believe this is no different for the current goth scene which will undergo further entropy within enough time. Bad news is so goth (the end is more positive).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X230ZEZ7e_Y

• 1 month later...

Goth was pronounced dead 20 years ago before I had really known it existed. But, if it ever was "big" it is right now. You can get "goth toys" for you 12 year old daughter at walmart. That never existed before.

Oh yeah. Its ironic how the whole vampire and werewolves popularization, and the general cutesy or slimmed-down gothic aesthetic has entered the mainstream-- when back in the 90's there'd be a panic that all of that was promoting Satanism. Goth just feels intellectually bland though, along with the current scene. I don't necessarily think that any of this is a bad thing, I've come to accept all of it, and do my own thing. I think what I want out of the goth scene is like a branch out of the uniqueness I want out of society, so it really seems like a thing that starts with oneself, and not something that could happen on any communal level.

Archived