Now Watching...

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) on Disney XD

large.5859bd14cf595_220px-Charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_poster2122016.jpg

Only Tim Burton can put a dark twist to a Disney Classic and still make it visually delightful.  I can't stop smiling.  This would have been a good one to see in an IMAX Theater. 

:biggrin:

6 hours ago, TronRP said:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) on Disney XD

large.5859bd14cf595_220px-Charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_poster2122016.jpg

Only Tim Burton can put a dark twist to a Disney Classic and still make it visually delightful.  I can't stop smiling.  This would have been a good one to see in an IMAX Theater. 

:biggrin:

The "good" IMAX (the one at Henry Ford or arguably the "planetarium" style one at the Science Center... if its still there)  often re-shows older films but  its very random as to what they are (and typically they are 20+ years older).   Although even small theaters (that are up to date) kick the crap out of anything anyone has at home , even if we spent 10 grand on a home theater system its still not as much as the sound / screen / projection systems cost at updated "regular" theaters.   (Seemed silly that Henry Ford didn't have star wars, that's the kind of thing that shines at an imax).

Best use of IMAX is something with huge sweeping vistas or to a lesser extent stuff with tons of things on the screen all at once, which is why so many documentaries about animals and space and such are filmed in this format.  (Hubble 3D was OMFG) 

Some movies that are say "decent or good" turn into "holy shit" (read: The Polar Express, Avatar, The Dark Knight, Alice In Wonderland (this in IMAX 3D is a different movie), Everest, Wild Ocean <000 holy damn that was awesome in 3D ) at a good IMAX location especially in 3D (but you can't be sitting on the very sides as the 3D doesn't work well there, but IMAX 3D is an animal all of its own). 

Many films aren't as good as they start out as 2D and are converted or are only partially IMAX or IMAX 3D.  But nowadays many filmmakers , especially the big names that can force studios to give them the money to do it, (on top of an already expensive cast / film) prefer IMAX and IMAX 3D.

The incoming The Great Wall (Matt Damon) and Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan creates a Key turning point in human history on film)  look to be jaw dropping.  

Next year's live-action (Scarlett Johansson as The Major) Ghost in the Shell will be fully filmed in IMAX 3D too, not that it fully benefits in the way something like the two above will. 

Logan (Wolverine) solo movie next year.   Not that I'll probably see more than 1 of the above since they are you know.. not free.  XD

The final film in the Ripley storyline in the alien franchise -  Alien: Covenant will be fully imax 3D.  Been in love with the first 2 films for decades, I hope they do a good job on this. 

Holy christ that was a novel.  Apparently dizzy and shaky I can still write random novels. lol

Just now, Illuminatrix said:

I just finished Season One of the Magicians. All in all, not bad - Kind of like a "Harry Potter in Grad School" feel. 

Yeah it was pretty good.... cut a bit deeper than harry potter as far as multiple dimensions and such... and also went head on into the topic of sexual abuse... (which was not a topic of Harry Potter unless you were as suspicious of Hadgrid as I was.) 

• 2 weeks later...