Workout Routines

Soulrev

What's yours? Have anything to share that works for you?

I've been going through the old army routine lately. I've been mostly unemployed since my son was born and I became a stay at home dad. Decided recently to start working out again; get back in shape before I re-enter the workforce.

I know a lot of people make up workout "sets" and they follow that. I usually just do certain exercises until muscle failure.

Just looking for ideas, seeing what other people do.

I usually do daily exercises like pushups and situps, and rotate "iron-mikes" (kind of like squats), with flutter kicks, or mountain climbers, every other day. I build muscle mass really quickly, but I don't want to get huge like a tank.

I know people usually do cardio workouts to slim, and weight lifting, etc, to build muscle, but I am pretty limited in my cardio workouts. I have asthma, and I smoke, so running is just about out of the question. I used to be able to do it in the Army but that was years ago.

My biggest concern is my belly.. I have always had a bit of a belly since I was 12, never had a flat stomach, which is what I really really want. So, I've been doing situps like crazy.

Anyone have any tips or anything they'd like to share about their workout routines? I know a whole plethora of workouts from the Army, if anyone wants to know more about them.

I am also a smoker so it sucks trying to do jogging, etc. I used to LOVE Pilates and have recently started trying to do it at home...I also love playing tennis/racquetball..I had been going to a club for that but I need to renew my membership. My job seems to take up so much time that all I seem to be doing is getting fatter, and fatter...it's my fault, I take full responsibility.

Yeah that's why I stick to quick workout routines that really don't take much time at all. Can be tedious at times but if you stick with it, it pays off. I try to squeeze in pushups and situps whenever I have the chance, usually at least twice or three times a day, until muscle failure.

• 6 months later...

I go to the gym with my daughter, who plays roller derby with the Detroit Derby Girls. We spend 45 minutes on the elliptical, at varying difficulties, followed by a LOT of core work (planks, situps, crunches, leg raises, etc.). Then, we move onto whatever body parts we've planned to work on, using both free weights and machines.

really started getting into squats and deadlifts yesterday

really paying for it today

LOL. Been there bro. One time in the army I did waaay too many calf raises and didn't properly stretch before/after.. I was walking around on my tip-toes for 3 days in terrible pain.

I did 5 months of stronglifts 5x5, which is a heavy focus on primary compounds. Squats 3x a week, bench, rows, deadlifts and overhead press.

I'm now doing an intermediate program called 531. Still a heavy focus on squats, deads, bench and press but with minor accessory work added as well. My accessories are direct lower back work and ab work.

I did 5 months of stronglifts 5x5, which is a heavy focus on primary compounds. Squats 3x a week, bench, rows, deadlifts and overhead press.

I'm now doing an intermediate program called 531. Still a heavy focus on squats, deads, bench and press but with minor accessory work added as well. My accessories are direct lower back work and ab work.

when you're done with 5-3-1, take a look at myo-reps, i think you'll dig it. let me know if you have any questions about it, i'll be starting my 2nd cycle of it in a week or two...

I don't really have a specific routine anymore. Right now, with my work schedule being the way it is, I try to make it to class on my days off. Before I started my new job, I was able to get home within 30 minutes, change into my workout clothes and go to the gym for two hours. With my new job, the commute is a bit longer so I go to bed when I get home. I miss working out in the mornings. I've started doing CrossFit again recently, although, I haven't been to class in a couple of weeks. I try to make it to at least one Krav class, one CrossFit class, Kettlebell class and a kickboxing class. If I can't make it to CrossFit, I go to open WOD and do my own thing which is basic lifts like shoulder press, squats, deadlifts and bench press. Also, in the morning on my days off, I'll go for a bike ride for about 5 miles. I want to start running too....It's hard to do everything.