Yess another DGN Rock Stars visiting this year!

The Old Guard is still ever present, you just have to wait around and they show from time to time...I've also found that these summer months tend to change the trend of posting quite a bit.

by the way, cool uroboros :biggrin:

i don't think this is just summer, i think it's the mods & old members who started a "facespace" group and are all socializing over there. the lack of loyalty is quite disappointing really... and i suppose the simple fact that i mention it will drive more people there, won't it? ugh.

Edited by torn asunder

Thus this becomes the TronRP Blog Show and I won't have to worry about sharing too much....SWEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:peanutbutterjellytime::bunny: I :heart: DGN :bunny::peanutbutterjellytime:

(just kidding, I'm sure people can still post here if I let them :rofl: )

Took a bit for me to get all my thoughts together, but here it goes. I joined in 2008 amongst a huge number of others (my gf and best friend are two others). When I joined, things were extremely fun. Everyone got along (except for the occasional spat) and we all had a great time. Most of the people I hang out with now, I met through DGN. Though I didn't meet my girlfriend here, it was another DGNer who helped us get together.

I'd be lying if I said the past couple of years haven't been rough though. "Occasional spats" have turned into "endless vendettas". People fell apart from each other for one reason or another. Another factor is that about two years ago (where probably the biggest drop off occurred) it was a daily game of roulette where you had to guess whether DGN would be down or up. Ultimately people felt like it was being mismanaged, and it's pretty hard to dispute that.

I have no problem reminiscing about the "good ol' days" of DGN (and City for that matter). DGN was good to me. The people I've met here have gotten me through some difficult times. But at a point, it's time to move on. I loved DGN for what it was and that's how I'll try to remember it.

Took a bit for me to get all my thoughts together, but here it goes. I joined in 2008 amongst a huge number of others (my gf and best friend are two others). When I joined, things were extremely fun. Everyone got along (except for the occasional spat) and we all had a great time. Most of the people I hang out with now, I met through DGN. Though I didn't meet my girlfriend here, it was another DGNer who helped us get together.

I'd be lying if I said the past couple of years haven't been rough though. "Occasional spats" have turned into "endless vendettas". People fell apart from each other for one reason or another. Another factor is that about two years ago (where probably the biggest drop off occurred) it was a daily game of roulette where you had to guess whether DGN would be down or up. Ultimately people felt like it was being mismanaged, and it's pretty hard to dispute that.

I have no problem reminiscing about the "good ol' days" of DGN (and City for that matter). DGN was good to me. The people I've met here have gotten me through some difficult times. But at a point, it's time to move on. I loved DGN for what it was and that's how I'll try to remember it.

I have been having a ball meeting everyone, old and new for the past year since I signed up in July of 2012. Just know if any of you ever want to come back and hang with me, I will be keeping the light on.

4530078429.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its a cycle that has repeated itself a dozen times over the decade plus that DGN has been around and is well documented on message boards. It takes a lot of energy / focus to crack the whip and keep cracking it, to keep a community based website active, but it does work. The longer the activity from the top people / posters and promotion from the top people / posters continues gradually the board becomes more and more active without fail.

The slowdowns are a lack of that same motivation / energy / promotion.

The userbase of all message boards is generally very transient with only a handful of people at most sticking around for the long term (defined various ways) and with less of the "big kids" actively promoting/online posting that process happens even more quickly and snowballs.

Every time the board slows down , various reasons such as other message boards , slackers, ungrateful people etc are usually sited as reasons why. They are all contributing factors, and it IS annoying that people cant be counted on more than they are, especially people that say.. oh have found their LIFE PARTNERS via DGN.. but such is life (myself included X100) but the key thing is motivation to be active and promote from the top down, and find new people to post and promote when the older people lose focus and they almost always do eventually and need to be gradually replaced or things gradually slow down to what we have now with just a few people being active , although its still "active" but a shadow of previous incarnations.

Also they almost always complain about too much focus on promotion / activity, which is exactly what you need usually from the people complaining about to much of a focus on that (in days past , that means too much focus, from me, trying to get them to help out).

Its a cycle that has repeated itself a dozen times over the decade plus that DGN has been around and is well documented on message boards. It takes a lot of energy / focus to crack the whip and keep cracking it, to keep a community based website active, but it does work. The longer the activity from the top people / posters and promotion from the top people / posters continues gradually the board becomes more and more active without fail.

The slowdowns are a lack of that same motivation / energy / promotion.

The userbase of all message boards is generally very transient with only a handful of people at most sticking around for the long term (defined various ways) and with less of the "big kids" actively promoting/online posting that process happens even more quickly and snowballs.

Every time the board slows down , various reasons such as other message boards , slackers, ungrateful people etc are usually sited as reasons why. They are all contributing factors, and it IS annoying that people cant be counted on more than they are, especially people that say.. oh have found their LIFE PARTNERS via DGN.. but such is life (myself included X100) but the key thing is motivation to be active and promote from the top down, and find new people to post and promote when the older people lose focus and they almost always do eventually and need to be gradually replaced or things gradually slow down to what we have now with just a few people being active , although its still "active" but a shadow of previous incarnations.

Also they almost always complain about too much focus on promotion / activity, which is exactly what you need usually from the people complaining about to much of a focus on that (in days past , that means too much focus, from me, trying to get them to help out).

:grouphug :grouphug :wub::grouphug:kiss:grouphug :grouphug :heart:

I find it ridicules that what I posted was deleted...just another reason I don't generally bother with this place anymore. Because opinions aren't valued.

I find it ridicules that what I posted was deleted...just another reason I don't generally bother with this place anymore. Because opinions aren't valued.

....agreed....and that's why all my post's are complete bullshit. Noone gives a shit what I say, and whether it be repulsive and make people prejudegement's about me..my friends, you, and the whole crew know me, know how I am and accept me, and know me enough by now in real life to get it..and vice versa, its very different when we become real to each other. Edited by kat

....agreed....and that's why all my post's are complete bullshit. Noone gives a shit what I say, and whether it be repulsive and make people prejudegement's about me..my friends, you, and the whole crew know me, know how I am and accept me, and know me enough by now in real life to get it..and vice versa, its very different when we become real to each other.

Yay! At least you figured out it's not the sex thread, but I'm still waiting for the TaTas

Aww, you you really want to see my tata's?

seen em'

Anyway, I would listen to those of us with an opinion (esp. if it's negative). Knowing what's wrong isn't going to happen by knowledge leaking into your brain. If you want to know why everything has gone downhill, listen to those of us who were once very active and have stopped coming for one reason or another (Tits and I included, though on a side note we haven't completely stopped "coming" :thumbup: ). So even if you don't pay attention to what those of us have to say, don't delete it, because honestly, it's a total bitch move.

seen em'

Anyway, I would listen to those of us with an opinion (esp. if it's negative). Knowing what's wrong isn't going to happen by knowledge leaking into your brain. If you want to know why everything has gone downhill, listen to those of us who were once very active and have stopped coming for one reason or another (Tits and I included, though on a side note we haven't completely stopped "coming" :thumbup: ). So even if you don't pay attention to what those of us have to say, don't delete it, because honestly, it's a total bitch move.

seen em'

seen em'

I think we can safely saw we have all seen each other's special parts with some of our partying, not to mention I manfest last year and I lived with you guys..lol...

I'm gonna have to stop posting in this particular thread. I suppose I haven't been with all the ups and downs of DGN long enough to feel the plight of the ones sharing here, and knowing the dark place this site brought me out of makes my heart hurt reading some of this. So this once recluse, introverted loner graciously bows out of this line emotional refuge.

For anyone who stays, catch you around the DGN Board....

Later :heart:

Edited by TronRP

I find a lot of forums, especially goth forums, are pretty dead around the internet; even alternative youtube vlogs, at least ones I'm subscribed to, haven't been as active. I believe in having some semblence of politeness, and not going overboard if angry with someone, but I also probably disagree with Troy and have stated it repeatedly in that I see the play nice rules as having hurt the forum traffic a lot. I'm sure there are people who would vehementally curse each other out over politics.. and then end up donating because they enjoyed the experience so much; people are strange. The Alternative/Cyber/Goth scene often comes as abrasive or cliquey with a lot of people, and I still see a fair amount of the old members of this forum as being this way.

My policy is that I don't care who wants to befriend me on here, its simply unlikely I'm going to show up much at clubs and bars, period. Sure I like dressing gothic, but I'm used to keeping it toned down. And the prospect of going out to score chicks and buy overpriced booze doesn't really do anything for me either. I'll probably add myself to the list of youtube alternative vloggers this year because I think that community has a lot of room to grow, but I'm not completely off of forums, and this is still the goth forum I visit the most.

People's opinions are valued here whether positive or negative. The problem is some people don't understand the difference between stating an opinion and making an accusation. When posting a comment, always take the following into account:

1. Do you have ALL the facts regarding what you are complaining about?

2. Are you posting accusations or actual opinions?

3. Would that possibly make the person you are posting about angry or offended?

4. Would you be angry if someone wrote THAT about you without consulting you first?

5. Are you directly accusing someone of something or making a generalized comment?

With the exception of certain "ninja" posters who delete their own, you know who you are :biggrin: , many, but not all, of the posts I've seen deleted are full of unjust accusations or are just downright mean. Some of them I wish I hadn't seen before they were deleted. Accusations should always be dealt with in PMs and not in open forums.

I'm just saying. :police: