3-D gun schematics downloaded more than 100,000 times, developers say

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I posted about this before but I'll say it again - I think this technology is absolutely amazing. Once again, another Star Trek technology once thought science fiction, is now science fact. Just think, if we could actually perfect "replicators" then perhaps someday we could eliminate poverty, hunger, etc.

• 3 months later...

I thought I posted about this before but I'll say it again - I think this technology is absolutely amazing. Once again, another Star Trek technology once thought science fiction, is now science fact. Just think, if we could actually perfect "replicators" then perhaps someday we could eliminate poverty, hunger, etc.

Yeah, well, too bad the first thing they created was a weapon capable of being passed through any security checkpoint utilizing metal detectors.

That isn't the first thing it was used to make. We have had 3d printers for a while. Ex roommate of mine had built his own actually. You can make one using the guts of an Inkjet printer (they use the same technology) as a base. They are used more often as prototypers. Earliest use I saw displayed of one was showing how it could print new organs in hospitals (still largely in development.)

And metal detectors are useless and counterproductive. Anyone looking to cause any serious harm with a firearm in any of the places that use metal detectors just ignore them. They certainly have not stopped school shootings. Guns do need to be regulated, but all banning them from certain areas have done is prevented those who were legally allowed to carry from being able to react.

OK...I ended up researching 3D Printing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

A materials printer usually performs 3D printing processes using digital technology. The first working 3D printer was created in 1984 by Chuck Hull of 3D Systems Corp.[3] Since the start of the 21st century there has been a large growth in the sales of these machines, and their price has dropped substantially.[4]

What caught me was the statement "price has dropped substantially"!

Prices range from DIY to Professional ($699 used to $3000)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

University of Michigan medical breakthroughs...and the future is now....

3D Printing Helps Save Child's Life -- The Doctors

Published on Jan 27, 2014

3D printer helps save young boy with collapsed windpipe
Published on Mar 20, 2014
http://youtu.be/355Zf2dc9rA