Sewing machine repair shops?

I know some of you here sew, so I thought you might know-- anyone familiar with good sewing machine repair shops in the area? I'm looking for a place that sells secondhand machines. Everything I've read says "go used/vintage" as the older machines are more durable, but I look at Craigslist and am completely lost, so I figure my best bet is to buy from a store that sells used machines-- then I'll know what I'm getting and that it works, even if I have to pay more (as I'm not really sure how to evaluate a machine or anything, nor what a good price is, though I could probably figure out the latter just from looking through listings). I just haven't a clue where to start; I've looked at YP.com but a lot of the places don't have websites so it's hard to check them out without actually going. So if anyone could recommend a place (or has a better idea-- maybe buying on C-list isn't the hot mess I imagine it'd be?), I'd appreciate it.

TIA. :)

Edited by Astraea

I know some of you here sew, so I thought you might know-- anyone familiar with good sewing machine repair shops in the area? I'm looking for a place that sells secondhand machines. Everything I've read says "go used/vintage" as the older machines are more durable, but I look at Craigslist and am completely lost, so I figure my best bet is to buy from a store that sells used machines-- then I'll know what I'm getting and that it works, even if I have to pay more (as I'm not really sure how to evaluate a machine or anything, nor what a good price is, though I could probably figure out the latter just from looking through listings). I just haven't a clue where to start; I've looked at YP.com but a lot of the places don't have websites so it's hard to check them out without actually going. So if anyone could recommend a place (or has a better idea-- maybe buying on C-list isn't the hot mess I imagine it'd be?), I'd appreciate it.

TIA. :)

If you live near a Joann Fabrics, my suggestion is to talk with sewing staff. They are very knowledgeable and can assist you in the purchase of a machine, vintage or modern.

http://www.joann.com/

I didn't know Joann sold secondhand/refurb, cool. Then again, I guess I never asked when there... Thanks. :)

I have no idea if they sell second hand/refurb, I misunderstood your request. I though you were looking for anyone who could recommend a place that sells what you were looking for...I just know they were able to inform us where to shop if we wanted one and which machines were better since we were not purchasing one from Joann. In my area, the majority of the staff in the sewing department have been doing this for 30+ years. They have been a very valuable resource - was my meaning. Sorry for any confusion.

I have no idea if they sell second hand/refurb, I misunderstood your request. I though you were looking for anyone who could recommend a place that sells what you were looking for...I just know they were able to inform us where to shop if we wanted one and which machines were better since we were not purchasing one from Joann. In my area, the majority of the staff in the sewing department have been doing this for 30+ years. They have been a very valuable resource - was my meaning. Sorry for any confusion.

OH, I get it. I hadn't planned on asking there because I figured they'd push me to buy a new machine from them instead (rather than sending me to the competition!), but perhaps they'd be able to recommend, or at least give me tips on whether buying from C-list is The World's Worst Idea/how to evaluation machines if I go that route. i'll try it; it's a good tip, thanks.

I just thought maybe someone had dealt with repair shops in the past and might know if there were any good or any to avoid.