So this is the deal, I was brought into a choir that is well known. I attended a rehearsal and they said they do need me, they need the soprano vocals and they know I write. This choir is making an album with Sony and going to New York in March I believe or May. It's a gospel choir, I have been in a gospel choir in high school so I am familiar with the style. They also need like ten songs written, actually I don't know if all of them have to be original but some do and they also would like me to assist with that. I am nervous and debating because my music style is different but at the same time it is an opportunity to do what I love, a pretty big opportunity...but I don't know. What would you do? Any thoughts?

Thanks Tron, I could probably find a night job for now but I need one that brings in enough money to support myself. Ya know?

Yeah...the money is usually the main issue. Too bad you couldn't work the graveyard shift at the hospital as a Candy Stripe or in the blood donor area. 24 hour fast food joints are always looking for nighttime workers around here, but it almost seems that you need a Master's Degree just to get in the door...lol

bon chance ma amie...

I would say do it too. It maybe that you pass it up thinking you're going to be working only to find out that you're not working. Then your stuck at home being depressed because you're not working and you missed your opportunity to be doing something you want to do. Meanwhile if a good paying job comes along between now and then ,well that would be something you would have to weigh. But I think if right now you have nothing else going on, I say go for it. Being out of work and doing nothing can get a person into a dark place they don't want to go. Good Luck to you. I am happy for you! :thumbsup:

So this is the deal, I was brought into a choir that is well known. I attended a rehearsal and they said they do need me, they need the soprano vocals and they know I write. This choir is making an album with Sony and going to New York in March I believe or May. It's a gospel choir, I have been in a gospel choir in high school so I am familiar with the style. They also need like ten songs written, actually I don't know if all of them have to be original but some do and they also would like me to assist with that. I am nervous and debating because my music style is different but at the same time it is an opportunity to do what I love, a pretty big opportunity...but I don't know. What would you do? Any thoughts?

Hell ye you should! Wound't know until u tried now would u? I am sure you already know the answer to this.... considering how you feel. If you are indeed challenged, take the challenge and meet it head on With horns and such...

How much of a commitment is this? Both for singing with the choir and the writing they need done? (I see them as two separate issues.)

The first is the singing-- how badly do they need you? Are you the only one who can hit the notes, sing on key, pick up the music quickly, whatever? That is, if you start with them and then get a job and are unable to sing with them anymore, are they totally screwed because they haven't got the horses to pull it without you? If that's the case, then you may want to not commit... unless you can be somewhat noncommittal with them and just let them know you may not be a permanent fixture-- if it's something where the rest of the section might just need a bit of help to get off the ground and might be able to swing it if you have to go later, it might work out. Or encourage them not to pick music that might hinge on your range/ability to sing difficult material/whatever so they can still do it even if you need to leave the choir. (Rehearsing during the day on weekdays? I think I can see why they're hurting for singers!)

The other issue is the composition. How quickly do they need this music? Are they wanting it for May? Are you getting paid for this? (Ten songs seems to me to be a lot of work for a volunteer thing-- especially if you're expected to come up with original stuff as opposed to just arranging. It's one thing if they're asking if you have stuff already written that they could sing, but if they're commissioning new pieces...) What do they plan to do if you do not write for them-- that is, are they super-stuck if you don't agree to do it, are they going to get someone else, are they cool with going without, what? This is something you could possibly do even with a job, as you can work on it at any time of day you want. But if they need a lot of material quickly, that's a bit of a strain, especially if it's a style you're not used to writing in. How are you at writing on demand? Can you possibly agree to do a few of the pieces but not all of them that they need so it's not such a load?

I agree that it could be a great opportunity BUT I don't think you should give up job opportunities for it or run yourself into the ground-- especially if they're not paying you.

another thing is the rehearsal time is at 1pm Monday and Friday. I am not working right now so I am available but I am seeking employment, so I am conflicted...work on this and be poor or just say forget it.

multi task man... keep applying for jobs, but don't miss the opportunity because apparently it's the best u got. SOny recording>? I mean really, how many peeps do get this chance? If you were to compromise paid work for it then i'd suggest checking your resources, but it seems like you already are in the "place" to give it a "go". It's not black or white. It's fucking grey yo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys astrea they have two sopranos me and a guy who is singing on a key that the pianist said she can't find, she asked me to keep him on track..lol, as far as writing the songs go I don't know i wrote one there using and am almost done with my second. We have a performance tomorrow for a homelessness awareness event..I couldn't make it to the rehearsals this week interviews. I'm going tomorrow and I'm sure I can wing it but, good point who rehearses during business hours..unless its your job..lol

multi task man... keep applying for jobs, but don't miss the opportunity because apparently it's the best u got. SOny recording>? I mean really, how many peeps do get this chance? If you were to compromise paid work for it then i'd suggest checking your resources, but it seems like you already are in the "place" to give it a "go". It's not black or white. It's fucking grey yo.

I love it, its not black or white, its gray...gotta love those gray areas such is life:-) Edited by kat