Not Going to City Club - Wha'cha Doin' Instead

TronRP

Nope, just moving your hands further up the fingerboard. Even smaller guitars still use the same tuning. Although it's entirely possible there's an effect you can add as well (I play acoustic at the moment and haven't really touched electric so I know nothing about effects and such).

Do you have an electronic tuner? Those make tuning really, really easy. It's possible your tuning is just off-- I managed this the other day. I had the instrument in tune with itself, it was just an entire half-step flat, lol, and that's what I get for just tuning everything together by ear without using a pitchpipe or keyboard to tune to the actual correct notes.

Happily yes I do have an electric tuner. It's just of all the instruments I've played, this electric guitar is the only one that I can't get to sound the way I want it to. And then I ended up shelving it for some years do to other responsibilities. Now I have a chance to pick it up again. Thought it would be fun to semi-master it this time around... :hrhr:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrm. I wonder if there's something with the guitar itself? Although if you didn't get it secondhand or anything, you wouldn't think that was the case.

I wonder if someone at a guitar shop might not be able to give you an idea, though, if you haven't tried that yet. (I'll ask just about anything at the guitar shop. I have no pride whatsoever, lol. I pretty much walk in: "Good morning, I'm a complete idiot. What the hell kind of capo do I want, since there are like 50 billion of them out there???")

(This is why I stick to acoustic for the moment. I came to guitar from classical music/violin and such and I'm amazed at how much it's like a completely different ballgame. I figured I should learn to play the damn thing before I start trying to wrap my head around things like amps and effects, oh myyyy, or I'd be totally lost. And then I'll probably have to have someone show me all about it. *headdesk* And then... once I know... I take over ze world. Or something. :) )

{I keep wanting to ask you-- your username, Tron like the movie, or something else?}}

Hrm. I wonder if there's something with the guitar itself? Although if you didn't get it secondhand or anything, you wouldn't think that was the case.

I wonder if someone at a guitar shop might not be able to give you an idea, though, if you haven't tried that yet. (I'll ask just about anything at the guitar shop. I have no pride whatsoever, lol. I pretty much walk in: "Good morning, I'm a complete idiot. What the hell kind of capo do I want, since there are like 50 billion of them out there???")

(This is why I stick to acoustic for the moment. I came to guitar from classical music/violin and such and I'm amazed at how much it's like a completely different ballgame. I figured I should learn to play the damn thing before I start trying to wrap my head around things like amps and effects, oh myyyy, or I'd be totally lost. And then I'll probably have to have someone show me all about it. *headdesk* And then... once I know... I take over ze world. Or something. :) )

{I keep wanting to ask you-- your username, Tron like the movie, or something else?}}

I think I will have to do a walk-in and ask about playing an electric guitar. I received it as a gift (mail ordered). Just about all the music shops moved out of our area right after the comic book stores did in the 90's.

Also, Entry #42 tells all about my DGN user name :biggrin:

http://www.detroitgothic.net/index.php?showtopic=35681&st=35

have found other options for eclectic, new and exciting music spun/performed by knowledgeable, skillfull and risk taking DJ's at:

Something Cold, Art Audio Angst, Destroy Compound, Plastic Passion, Happy Endings, MDRN GOTH, Blankcode, etc... events.

City, Noire Skye and some of these newer nights just seem to be retreading the same themes/music over and over and over again which makes for a dull-night out when you can nearly predict the evenings playlist and the crowd that will show up.

Necto's even figured out when to retire tracks and inject some fresh blood into the weekly mix to keep it interesting and the crowds coming back. Still very much enjoy going there, as do friends.

Most could benefit from getting out of their comfort zones, comfortable club environments and checking out some different events.

Plenty out there.

This is amusing to me, mostly because Plastic Passion, Happy Endings and Mondays at Northern Lights are really quite similar. So similar in fact, that we share parts of the same crowd. Of course, anyone who has attended recently.. or what the hey --even in the past year --could tell you that ;)

Edited by pleasurekatzen

City, Noire Skye and some of these newer nights just seem to be retreading the same themes/music over and over and over again which makes for a dull-night out when you can nearly predict the evenings playlist and the crowd that will show up.

While I know I'm not a real DJ and am probably classified as "unqualified" as my technical skills are still being developed, you'd probably be surprised at the stuff I spin. ;)

As for City Club - there is a core truth to the place. It's evolution over the 16 years I've been going has been rather consistant with the evolution of the music. Noire Sky/Northern Lights has a core truth of it's own. I don't think I've heard the same track twice there.

I'm not one to attend Necto...but that really has to do with location. It's just more of a drive than I feel like making on a Monday after a long arse day at zee day job.

Art Audio Angst is fun. I've heard some garbage there, I've heard some gems there, I've heard everything in between. The overall experience of the place keeps me going back whenever I can though. That...and I <3 Doc.

Wait, what was I rambling about?

This is amusing to me, mostly because Plastic Passion, Happy Endings and Mondays at Northern Lights are really quite similar. So similar in fact, that we share parts of the same crowd. Of course, anyone who has attended recently.. or what the hey --even in the past year --could tell you that ;)

Been to both, and yeah there are some people that hit both nights, but to say it's because they're "similar" makes the comparison so loosely related, eh. Plastic Passion is COMPLETELY different than CC, haven't been to Northern Lights in awhile but I had the same impression there too, that both nights are so fundamentally different from each other.

Judging nights by the fact that multiple people that go to one night go to the other...well that's just as prejudice as painting the scene with one big, black paint brush, whereas most dark-alt scene people are a lot of that "black", sure, but not entirely. It would be a travesty not to notice the little ribbons of different and unique colors running through it.

That would be just as preposterous as saying that if someone likes burgers, and since Big Boy, Wendy's, Checkers, Hardees and McDonalds (kinda) serves burgers, then they're all the same restaurant.

I've been sleeping and working 67 hours a week, seven days straight, that's where Cherny's been!

Gonna have to start hitting up CC again when the shop opens this week, so we can promote hardcore. I will say, the ONE reason I go to CC is to see a bunch of people I haven't seen in awhile. Granted, I hate the fact that when I go to do this, I have to pay a bunch of money to get into a club where I don't touch the dance floor anymore, drinks are through the roof, and the customer service is usually shitty (I had to wait an hour to get a drink a few times because the bartenders kept serving other people who weren't in front of me, even when I'd flag them down after a minute politely).

There are two DJs that still DJ CC who I REALLY almost always like their playlists, but they're not exclusive CC DJs either. I try to just go when I know that at least ONE of them is spinning that night.

Edited by Chernobyl

Been to both, and yeah there are some people that hit both nights, but to say it's because they're "similar" makes the comparison so loosely related, eh. Plastic Passion is COMPLETELY different than CC, haven't been to Northern Lights in awhile but I had the same impression there too, that both nights are so fundamentally different from each other.

Judging nights by the fact that multiple people that go to one night go to the other...well that's just as prejudice as painting the scene with one big, black paint brush, whereas most dark-alt scene people are a lot of that "black", sure, but not entirely. It would be a travesty not to notice the little ribbons of different and unique colors running through it.

That would be just as preposterous as saying that if someone likes burgers, and since Big Boy, Wendy's, Checkers, Hardees and McDonalds (kinda) serves burgers, then they're all the same restaurant.

Cherny, the last time I saw you at Northern Lights was what, like 2 years ago maybe? With all due respect, the night has changed drastically. The DJ's have changed, the focus musically has changed, hell, even the drink specials are different. One of my main points in the reply above was that it's truly annoying when someone who hasn't been to a night or venue trash-talks and discredits it to other people.

And while I agree that board-stroking isn't always fair, to say that we share some of the same crowd and that the nights are similar musically is a complete truth. So much so that regulars of both of these other nights have thanked us for being an option more than once a month (which is a huge compliment, honestly.) To say 100% exactly them same? I'd never go that far. And I'd never compare *any* of these nights to City Club because that's a whole other animal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got a late evening client appointment that will probably take a couple of hours. Unless I chauffeured in club gear, I don't foresee making it tonight.

I can just imagine the looky-loo response there :hrhr:

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, unless things change, it appears that I will be on project build prep duty all this weekend especially with the break in the weather and the onslaught of Spring just around the corner. I might be having a date with exhaustion and hanging out with futon.... :hrhr:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...