This was a totally Awesome week with the reemergence of multiple incognito members...including, for the first time, DGN's illustrious creator Troy Spiral officially ranked in the top 3 awards for Board Domination Week XIII scoring the Bronze.

Given that we are headed into the midst of the most busiest holiday season of the year, it is hard to predict how the ranks will fair for BOARD DOMINATION WEEK XIV

And with that, I now return you to your regularly scheduled posting...

Eat, Drink and Toast the Season

• 3 weeks later...

It never ceases to amaze me at how our nation's quest for the "Almighty Buck" generally tends to prevent the most savvy of product promoters from using common sense when advertising. The frenzy of "Black Friday" cash intakes can cause some very common sayings to lose something in translation...

Can we say Oxymoron...

Coming to a realization...

I just realized I have been trying to get over a fear of failure all these years. When I first started teaching myself how to do repair projects around the house for fun in my preteen years, I had inadequate tools. Butter knives, broken screwdrivers, 20 year old hammers and pipe wrenches accompanied with incomplete, rusted socket wrench sets and one manual nail set made up the bulk of the contents in the rusted, metal tool box I found that used to belong to my father. But I was able to make it work and was dubbed Jacky Jane of All Trades.

Later, I attended an academy and became a certified, licensed, residential builder. I was awarded my first set of real skills trade tools upon graduation. Unfortunately, as proud as my family was of my accomplishment, I somehow got the reputation that I could suddenly do any and everything. Before I knew it, I was receiving project requests from family and their co-workers. Even when informing a certain aunt that I would have to teach myself how to do certain builds, the work that I knew how to do always made her feel I could do more than I was claiming and the requests kept coming. I just did not have those skills at that time and some people were not ready to hear it.

When I got contracted out to companies through a temp agency I was signed up with, I finally felt I could breath a sigh of relief because now no one could ask me to do anything outside of my skill set. I was working nearly 60 hours a week with non-traditional hours. Then, years later, family situations caused me to have to go down a different path of employment creating a situation a bit double edged sword in nature.

Although, now I was on-call 24/7, I was also able to work from home. As cool as this was, some people picked right up where they left off, request-wise. However, this time I was determined to insure I had the skills and know-how necessary to feel confident in my abilities. I began researching everything from "How To" videos to watching "DIY" shows and ordering standard "Code" guides. And now, I too was able to pick up where I had left off years ago, but with more knowledge.

The major downside to all of this was the "fear of failure" complex I created in my head. I now know more than I ever did as a kid and currently have more resources at my disposal than ever before, but now I had years of incomplete projects and disappointments to make up for. I've been so worried about not completing things in a timely manner that I've effectively ended up shutting everyone out and literally putting my life on hold to insure I do not create a reputation of "Here we go again"...again.

Now that I know this, maybe I can start modifying my mindset and begin to actually live life with a better attitude and brighter outlook.

Coming to a realization...

I just realized I have been trying to get over a fear of failure all these years. When I first started teaching myself how to do repair projects around the house for fun in my preteen years, I had inadequate tools. Butter knives, broken screwdrivers, 20 year old hammers and pipe wrenches accompanied with incomplete, rusted socket wrench sets and one manual nail set made up the bulk of the contents in the rusted, metal tool box I found that used to belong to my father. But I was able to make it work and was dubbed Jacky Jane of All Trades.

Later, I attended an academy and became a certified, licensed, residential builder. I was awarded my first set of real skills trade tools upon graduation. Unfortunately, as proud as my family was of my accomplishment, I somehow got the reputation that I could suddenly do any and everything. Before I knew it, I was receiving project requests from family and their co-workers. Even when informing a certain aunt that I would have to teach myself how to do certain builds, the work that I knew how to do always made her feel I could do more than I was claiming and the requests kept coming. I just did not have those skills at that time and some people were not ready to hear it.

When I got contracted out to companies through a temp agency I was signed up with, I finally felt I could breath a sigh of relief because now no one could ask me to do anything outside of my skill set. I was working nearly 60 hours a week with non-traditional hours. Then, years later, family situations caused me to have to go down a different path of employment creating a situation a bit double edged sword in nature.

Although, now I was on-call 24/7, I was also able to work from home. As cool as this was, some people picked right up where they left off, request-wise. However, this time I was determined to insure I had the skills and know-how necessary to feel confident in my abilities. I began researching everything from "How To" videos to watching "DIY" shows and ordering standard "Code" guides. And now, I too was able to pick up where I had left off years ago, but with more knowledge.

The major downside to all of this was the "fear of failure" complex I created in my head. I now know more than I ever did as a kid and currently have more resources at my disposal than ever before, but now I had years of incomplete projects and disappointments to make up for. I've been so worried about not completing things in a timely manner that I've effectively ended up shutting everyone out and literally putting my life on hold to insure I do not create a reputation of "Here we go again"...again.

Now that I know this, maybe I can start modifying my mindset and begin to actually live life with a better attitude and brighter outlook.

A lot of people have trouble grasping the difference between education and experience, or recognizing which tasks and knowledge are within certain areas of expertise and which are not.

Albert Einstein — 'Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.'

We are all fish to some degree. The inability of those in our lives to recognize our scope of ability and demand of us accordingly assault our self esteem on a constant basis, and many people are unable to let go when we fail to climb a tree.

Failure is perfectly all right. People who cannot accept failure in others show large predisposition to confirmation bias. They forget that they fail all the time as well, with a personal bias towards their own success only. It also shows an inability to accept that people can grow and change and can learn ; which says more about that particular person's inabilities than your own.

Failure is not something you should fear. Failure is the biggest step towards learning and growing. People who do not fail simply do not learn, and if you meet someone who can honestly say they do not fail constantly then you have met someone who is either oblivious to their own reality or who have been extremely lucky. The latter tend to be unprepared when actual failure finally comes along and their entire life can fall apart over the simplest setback once it inevitably happens.

We should judge people not by success and failure but by how they handle success and failure in themselves and especially in others.

A lot of people have trouble grasping the difference between education and experience, or recognizing which tasks and knowledge are within certain areas of expertise and which are not.

Albert Einstein — 'Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.'

We are all fish to some degree. The inability of those in our lives to recognize our scope of ability and demand of us accordingly assault our self esteem on a constant basis, and many people are unable to let go when we fail to climb a tree.

Failure is perfectly all right. People who cannot accept failure in others show large predisposition to confirmation bias. They forget that they fail all the time as well, with a personal bias towards their own success only. It also shows an inability to accept that people can grow and change and can learn ; which says more about that particular person's inabilities than your own.

Failure is not something you should fear. Failure is the biggest step towards learning and growing. People who do not fail simply do not learn, and if you meet someone who can honestly say they do not fail constantly then you have met someone who is either oblivious to their own reality or who have been extremely lucky. The latter tend to be unprepared when actual failure finally comes along and their entire life can fall apart over the simplest setback once it inevitably happens.

We should judge people not by success and failure but by how they handle success and failure in themselves and especially in others.

Thank you for the insightful comment.

My main point was that I finally discovered, for myself, where this longstanding situation that has developed within my family life came from. Thus, my closing statement.

...besides, there is a really good chance my aunt will never see this post, so oblivion will still reside on that home front...

Edited by TronRP

Yet again, this was another pretty kick'n week with DGNers past and present ranking in the top 20.
Although we have entered the final stretch of the holiday season, It was so cool seeing an increase in posters this time around. With the winter season gearing up to head into full swing, weather permitting, it will be interesting to see who will return next year for a chance at the ranks in BOARD DOMINATION WEEK XV
And with that, I now return you to your regularly scheduled posting...
Visions of a Winter Wonderland

• 3 weeks later...