For lazy people:

The Aokigahara Forest is a lonely place to die.

So dense is the vegetation at the foot of Japan's Mount Fuji, it is all too easy to disappear among the evergreens and never be seen again.

Each year the authorities remove as many as 100 bodies found hanging at the country's suicide hotspot - but others can lie undiscovered for years.

Exactly why so many choose to end their lives in the forest remains something of a mystery, though it has been suggested that the first among them were inspired by a novel set there.

Azusa Hayano has studied and tended to the forest for more than 30 years. Even he cannot make sense of the trend.

Mr Hayano believes it is a symptom of an increasingly impersonal and lonely way of life that emerged with the internet.

He adds: 'Now we can live our lives being online all day. However, the truth of the matter is we still need to see each other's faces, read their expressions, hear their voices so we can fully understand their emotions - to coexist.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2127414/The-suicide-forest-Japan-Mystery-Mount-Fuji-beauty-spot-100-bodies-year.html#ixzz1waxSR3Bi

Interesting, and sad.

National Suicide Lifeline

1-800-273-TALK

(or you can call me, seriously)

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy goes ghost camping out there all the time. Apparently the terrain is very nondescript so it's easy to get very lost, despite the forest not being terribly large.

Neat

Sounds like an interesting place to visit. :)

Yeah it is interesting.

I read a related article which I can't seem to find now about how the err "park ranger(s?)" (not sure who the people were or even if this area has actual employees) try to differentiate between "real campers" and people there just to kill themselves posing as "real campers" and how they try to get them to talk for awhile if they arent sure... to the annoyance of some and the appreciation of others. Googled for like 5 minutes just now cant seem to find it again.

I couldn't find any actual data about "suicides in forests per square foot" I mean is 100 in 20 years a lot? It SOUNDS like a lot, but it might not be. Not that any amount is good.

(for example the number of MIA craft in the Bermuda triangle isn't out of the ordinary, just the stories surrounding it makes it seem that way)

• 2 weeks later...

Obamacare.

Ah,heard about the supreme court decision. Not sure if i'm a huge fan of indivudal mandate or any of it but , "the end of freedom as garanteed by the constutition" was the call for Social Security, and then a generation later for Medicare, yet, american continues . The Constitution was designed to be morphed as time progressed and ideas changed.

The framers never intended the constitution to be a bible on stone tablets, it was controversial and open to interpretation even before the ink was dry. Written at a time when black people were property and women were near property, and many concepts that are taken for granted facts were totally unknown. Like the bible it has good parts and vauge iffy parts, I view it a scared document but only in a historical sense, it was not intended to be the bible 2.0 , it a 'framework' not a set of step by step instructions.

Its a work in progress and will continue to be. Like america, it might need a good raping now and again to wake people up to its good parts, and confusing vague parts.

Ah,heard about the supreme court decision. Not sure if i'm a huge fan of indivudal mandate or any of it but , "the end of freedom as garanteed by the constutition" was the call for Social Security, and then a generation later for Medicare, yet, american continues . The Constitution was designed to be morphed as time progressed and ideas changed.

The framers never intended the constitution to be a bible on stone tablets, it was controversial and open to interpretation even before the ink was dry. Written at a time when black people were property and women were near property, and many concepts that are taken for granted facts were totally unknown. Like the bible it has good parts and vauge iffy parts, I view it a scared document but only in a historical sense, it was not intended to be the bible 2.0 , it a 'framework' not a set of step by step instructions.

Its a work in progress and will continue to be. Like america, it might need a good raping now and again to wake people up to its good parts, and confusing vague parts.

If you want to change the constitution then you amend it not ignore it.

And forcing people to buy a product they do not want is a direct violation of the Constitution and a Bill of Rights violation.

The bill all together violates:

The first amendment.

The fourth amendment.

The fifth amendment.

The eighth amendment.

The tenth amendment.

And the ninth when you actually think about it.

The commerce clause.

Edited by Vater Araignee

If you want to change the constitution then you amend it not ignore it.

And forcing people to buy a product they do not want is a direct violation of the Constitution and a Bill of Rights violation.

The bill all together violates:

The first amendment.

The fourth amendment.

The fifth amendment.

The eighth amendment.

The tenth amendment.

And the ninth when you actually think about it.

The commerce clause.

Too much all at once for me to go through line by line. (and a few of which I'm not well versed enough to even do so If i wanted to, and just don't have the energy to research) Not that I don't understand the basics of the constitution. I've read it several times, and have several books about it as well as several documentaries.

From what I understand Obamacare has been veted by by people that know the constitution inside and out and do it for a living full time. Not that I totally agree with the decision(s), but they are very smart, and know far more than I could ever known unless I gave up all my interests and just studied the subject full time. And like any sweeping law, its open for further dispute.

Don't get me wrong I'm not really on board with this quasi-universal healthcare, I just don't think its as black & white as "it violates the constitution" almost EVERYTHING could violate the constitution depending on ones interpretation of "intent". Which gets very complicated very fast.

My reaction usually is just to the "sky is falling" type alarmism, i think the truth is somewhere short of that. Not that I'm not interested, just that If we want to continue discussing such things, some level of calm needs to be injected or no progress is going to be made (and specific talking points that are something short of novels, which I personally tend to type too much myself).

Too much all at once for me to go through line by line. (and a few of which I'm not well versed enough to even do so If i wanted to, and just don't have the energy to research) Not that I don't understand the basics of the constitution. I've read it several times, and have several books about it as well as several documentaries.

From what I understand Obamacare has been veted by by people that know the constitution inside and out and do it for a living full time. Not that I totally agree with the decision(s), but they are very smart, and know far more than I could ever known unless I gave up all my interests and just studied the subject full time. And like any sweeping law, its open for further dispute.

Don't get me wrong I'm not really on board with this quasi-universal healthcare, I just don't think its as black & white as "it violates the constitution" almost EVERYTHING could violate the constitution depending on ones interpretation of "intent". Which gets very complicated very fast.

My reaction usually is just to the "sky is falling" type alarmism, i think the truth is somewhere short of that. Not that I'm not interested, just that If we want to continue discussing such things, some level of calm needs to be injected or no progress is going to be made (and specific talking points that are something short of novels, which I personally tend to type too much myself).

I've unintentionally been thread jacking to much.

general discussion of the apparent police state