New club night in the making

Greetings everyone, I hope you all have had a Happy New Year! John, the owner of the Token Lounge in Westland has offered to allow me to run a goth/industrial music night on Fridays with some Saturday options as well. This would start in February. I always wanted to set something up with an Ascenion UK/Old Lab feel. We would eventually have performers once the night had build up momentum. I was thinking of kicking it off with a masquerade ball in Feb. We would charge 18+ $5 and 21+ $3. The place has a lot of decent parking, great sound system, lights, multiple rooms, video screen to play spooky movie clips or whatever, nice stage, and a pizza shop on the corner in the same building. There is also an empty building that connects to the club that we could also use. Also, there is an outdoor smoking patio that was just built. If you want to help or be part of the new night, please email me asap. I was thinking of calling the night"Dark Entries" in honor of Bauhaus.

Your thoughts?

any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Robert

Were I still living downriver, I'd be all over that.

Good luck. I hope people in the local scene support you.

Curious: When I lived in another state for a while, the only place that had a goth night was a local sports bar. It totally sucked because the atmosphere was all wrong. Wood panel walls, Budweiser neon, pool tables and lifesized cutouts of bikin-clad-Busch-hawking-Babes totally made the whole thing laughable. What's the atmosphere like at Token?

[Edited, because they're hawking beer, not pu$$y. But then again...]

Edited by Fierce Critter

Were I still living downriver, I'd be all over that.

Good luck. I hope people in the local scene support you.

Curious: When I lived in another state for a while, the only place that had a goth night was a local sports bar. It totally sucked because the atmosphere was all wrong. Wood panel walls, Budweiser neon, pool tables and lifesized cutouts of bikin-clad-Busch-hawking-Babes totally made the whole thing laughable. What's the atmosphere like at Token?

[Edited, because they're hawking beer, not pu$$y. But then again...]

Token was and is still on occasion a metal bar. Many of the acts I've seen there border more on the death metal side of things. The atmosphere is kinda like Northern Lights a little, not so much like Irock. The staff are super nice and the place is pretty clean. The sound system is awesome. Hope this helps

So? My friend had to scoop brains off his windshield after a concert at Harpo's, and still continued to go there.

If the venue/performance is worth it, people can get past that sort of thing.

Let's not forget the very VERY icky history of CC.

Token was and is still on occasion a metal bar. Many of the acts I've seen there border more on the death metal side of things. The atmosphere is kinda like Northern Lights a little, not so much like Irock. The staff are super nice and the place is pretty clean. The sound system is awesome. Hope this helps

I haven't been to IRock in almost 20 years, and never been to Northern Lights. But a metal bar might be more suited to a goth night physically than a sports bar. So yeah, I'd give it a shot were location not an issue for me.

Let's not forget the very VERY icky history of CC.

LOL Great point. Before I went to CC for the first time, even up in Grand Rapids, people talked about how people died there and how supposedly someone would roam the dancefloor sticking peole with needles. (and BTW... wtf? Who can afford to waste drugs like that? LOL) I still went. Things happen. Thats where a thing called "street smarts" comes in handy. These violent things tend to happen wherever there is alcolhol and idiots.

So? My friend had to scoop brains off his windshield after a concert at Harpo's, and still continued to go there.

If the venue/performance is worth it, people can get past that sort of thing.

I was at that concert!

If not, the same thing happened to a bouncer that wouldn't let me on stage during "Blue Monday" after an Orgy concert. Crazy stuff having some guy telling you to "get the fuck off the stage" and then walking out of the building less than 20 minutes later to see him spilled out on the pavement. Eerie things in Detroit, I tell ya...

Same token lounge where the guy was SHOT and KILLED ON THE DANCEFLOOR?

Awesome! Have fun kids!

Sounds like an average day in the life of where I roam :laugh:. If I can drive through Brightmoor and Krainz Woods without even white-knuckling, I'll be fine at a nightclub. Or I won't. Or I can walk into Sommerset Mall tomorrow, or maybe walking around in Birmingham, and get shot and killed by a looney. Or I won't.

Giving shots, dodging shots and being shot all of which sucks arse mind you, but with so much emphasis on shots it makes me think of drinking shots like three wise men.

Not dodging the fact someone got killed here is stopping me from attending!

Edited by Black Jack

While I have my concerns about a Friday night event, I'd attend a time or three to check it out. I'd even help out where I can (I want to see our scene grow) and try to do a guest spot in their booth (I'm a shameless self promoting whore).