Aging

Fierce Critter

(Inspired by the "Gray Hair" thread)

How do you feel about aging?

I've been on DGN for it's full 10 year lifespan since it was The Spiral Board, save a few early months. When I first came on board, I was 33, Jon was 23, and the then oldest member admitted to me they were 46 years old. I remember being really shocked at their age, thinking they didn't look it, but thinking about "how old that is" for being in this scene. :D

Now I'm 3 years away from that age myself. I feel great. I'm still generally guessed to be in my mid- to late-20's, and that's made entering my 40's and getting some gray hairs here and there ever so easy to bear. As I mentioned in the "Gray hair" thread, at my recent 25th high school reunion, the overwhelming reaction I got was that I look fantastic and have barely changed since 1986. That was massively reaffirming, I'll admit.

I'm way happier in my 40's than I was when I turned 30. Turning 30 was near devastating to me. Turning 40 was nothing. I'm way happier now.

As for being of a particular age in "this scene," I'm not into it as I was 5 years ago, but it's not for lack of interest. I've changed locations now, and there is no "scene" where I'm living. I stopped going to City Club a few years before moving, but that had a lot more to do with interpersonal situations than waning interest. If I were still living in the Detroit area, you'd see me up there every Saturday again.

I realize DGN's general populace is a decade or more younger than me. But I wonder, 10 years into the life of DGN, how people feel about their own aging. How they feel about their appearance, their philosophies on life and how they might have changed or grown, their interests, etc.

I hated my 20's and was happy to get out of them...they were hell. I wish I would have had more confidence, though and done more with my life because there are things about me that I feel have been wasted.

That's what your 30's and 40's are for. :)

I've told people before - try not to make any lifelong plans in your 20's. It's a period of too many changes, too much growth and discovery. I don't know anyone - myself included - who had an easy time in their 20's and came out the same person as they went in.

I'm almst 33. I also still pass for mid 20s usually and get carded often w=for cigs and booze. It's fine with me. I still feel great and want to go out alot. That said, my BF right now is only 5 years older and claims he has little interest in going out because he has gotten too old and "age is catching up to him". That's sad to me and I think it's just mind over matter really. He's decided he's old, so he is. I refusae to be, so I'm not. Besides, I have friends ranging from their teens up to their 80s right now and I relate to them all on a personal level that transcends age. Whay can't I relate to a scene in the same way?

I totally understand what phee just said. I still feel like me. I would go out every weekend if it weren't for these meddling kids! I'm 34 and I've loved my 30's way more than my 20's. I'm looking forward to my 40's as well. I am not however, looking forward to the health problems that old age brings:( Hopefully, I won't have any.

I totally understand what phee just said. I still feel like me. I would go out every weekend if it weren't for these meddling kids! I'm 34 and I've loved my 30's way more than my 20's. I'm looking forward to my 40's as well. I am not however, looking forward to the health problems that old age brings:( Hopefully, I won't have any.

Heh yep.

• 10 months later...

That's what your 30's and 40's are for. :)

I've told people before - try not to make any lifelong plans in your 20's. It's a period of too many changes, too much growth and discovery. I don't know anyone - myself included - who had an easy time in their 20's and came out the same person as they went in.

Then allow me to introduce myself, I go by TronRP and known as life's little oddity to my family. To be perfectly honest, the only major thing that has changed with me is my age... :happy:

I use to worry about the time coming when I was just too old for City Club but now with all my health issues I just hope I make it another ten years so I can move up north and spend the rest of my time fishing and hunting and what not.

I use to worry about the time coming when I was just too old for City Club but now with all my health issues I just hope I make it another ten years so I can move up north and spend the rest of my time fishing and hunting and what not.

I was exactly this way. Now I AM living up north, loving it, and only occasionally missing City Club.

And I'm also waaaay more active and adventurous than any of the years I spent at CC. Helps that I finally got on the right depression meds, lost 60 pounds, and started moving my ass again.

Actually, though, there should be no "too old" for CC. So long as one ages gracefully and adapts their style as their bodies change, one should be able to feel comfortable going anywhere they want.

One of the first DGN people I met was 46 when I met her in 2005. I would not have guessed her at that age. She fit in the club perfectly then, and I'm sure she still would today.

Upon my return from NC in 2005, most people on DGN knew me only from, well, DGN. I was 37, and once we met face-to-face, most DGN'ers were shocked at my age and didn't put me above my mid 20's. I'm 44 today, and with the weight loss, people are still guessing me in mid- to high 20's. Good familial genes help. But attitude and the way you carry yourself does, too.

I love the fact that I still get carded. It also doesn't help that I can still fit my middle school clothes.

I get razzed by my sisters because I have to shop in the kids clothing section...mental note never take them under ware shopping with me again, they even managed to get the clerk in on the razzing...

Longevity runs in my family and the average lifespan for females is 91. I am planing on trying to make it to 200...might be a stretch, but it is a goal to look forward to. I just hope I am still active by that time.happy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit of a people watcher especially when it comes to my own family members. So I can't help noticing the major differences in activity and thought processes around the house as people get older . I have heard many times people say age is just a number, but I can see age is more of a measure of activity. The "If you don't use it you'll lose it" rule definitely applies.

I can see those who have fallen into a steady routine of being "Set in their ways" with fewer new experiences around here, have suffered some form of brain stroke from mild to massive. Those who are constantly experiencing new things appear to maintain better control over their mental faculties. My mother has been on the receiving end of both of these situations. She suffered multiple bouts of mini strokes during her decades at her job. However, after receiving custody of her grandchildren and later retiring, she had to begin thinking in new ways and develop new routines. We could definitely see an improvement in her being which was also backed up by Wii Fit age calculator (yes I know it's a game, but it if very accurate).

I continue to challenge my mental and physical states on a regular basis as well as my Ward, who suffered a closed head injury in a car accident. The methods I've used on my Ward have been medically documented as showing mental and physical improvements. Wondering if these methods will stand the test of time. Looking forward to that.

One major rule I try to live by is don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and change it up every now and then.

:happy:

I can't stop having this near panic like feeling of going through life alone. the thought scares me, overly and partly its due to my career field, I see how ugly we as society can be to our sick, disabled, and aging population. It literally makes me sick. It's inhumane..we toss people out like garbage when they can no longer fulfill ones own selfish needs. The worst part too, is we are too stupid to even take a moment and gain insight into the fact that we will, all of us one day be a member, whether we become sick and disabled or elderly, we are not spared...we will all one day be apart of a vulnerable population..we need to start treating each other Better, set a bar for the future.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if I should start documenting the patterns that I have noticed that have started developing over the past few years. Every other Sunday, I have the exact same conversation with my mother on the phone. The interesting thing about this is my mother has started developing the same characteristics we noted in our elderly neighbor before she passed some years back. I remember my mother saying, "I don't ever want to be like that", and yet here we are. I am beginning to wonder if it is inevitable and if we, her children, are next?

I used to be afraid of aging but I have started to accept it. I plan to train for life so I am hoping to be healthy when I'm old. I don't think someone needs a scene to be alternative, liberal, or weird. If you have that "I don't give a f***" attitude", you can walk into any place and be the oldest person there. I guess it comes down to what you're getting out of it. I'd personally rather play Terraria with friends, which is coming out to Xbox 360 soon, than go out to a bar or club.

Edited by Class-Punk