How Did You Pick Your DGN Name? 2.0

Troy Spiral

I DJ'ed on a local college station for a few years under another name doing a Metal and Goth show, then I moved away and came back and returned to that same station for a year doing Goth/Industrial and I selected DJ Nihil. Show was called Ultra. Both taken from the KMFDM album Nihil, and I am a bit of a Nihilist myself.

• 10 months later...

So the year was 1999 and I'd take a school bus from my highschool over to a vocational school and back for half a day.  Some people from my school and another highschool went to an artistic school.  Well this one cute girl was on it and I thought she was like the best thing ever.

One day I found an 1/8th inch headphone splitter at a Radio Shack and hatched a plan.  She sat in front of me and I asked what she was listening to (Manson - Antichrist Superstar) and if I could listen in.  She was going to give me half a headphone but I was all ready with my own and the splitter.

I became friends with her and her friends who also went to her high/art school.  Before that though they referred to me as "that scary guy" because they said I looked like some serial killer or something, as they didn't really know me.

So I never picked it, it was picked for me and I just went with it.  Then I used it as my DJ name and it fit pretty well when I got my first hearse.  Maybe one day I'll get around to changing it...  maybe...

On 4/19/2016 at 8:14 PM, Neo said:

I chose Neo because I was at the time obsessed with the Matrix.

I never really was, I thought it was good, but I'm not even sure I saw the second movie.   I keep meaning to give them another try.

Side note:  a movie that is real good but gets like NO respect is called  Equilibrium  sort of The Matrix &   1984 had a child.   I really like the organization the Hero in the story belongs to, just even the name is cool.   Cool fight scenes , sort of "deeper meaning" to the action / story than what's on the surface. 

On the matrix:  matrix_revisited.png

We just passed the 17th anniversary last month.

I still like how the humans were supposed to be used for processing rather than power better, too.  But nooo, Hollywood thought we were too stupid to "get it."  Hopefully when they remake it in 10 or so years they'll get it right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2016 at 7:24 AM, Scary Guy said:

On the matrix:  matrix_revisited.png

We just passed the 17th anniversary last month.

I still like how the humans were supposed to be used for processing rather than power better, too.  But nooo, Hollywood thought we were too stupid to "get it."  Hopefully when they remake it in 10 or so years they'll get it right.

hah

I got my name from well...  my first name is my real name just so people don't have to remember two names, and the second part "Spiral"  well even when I was little I liked spiral-ish shapes.  I remember one teacher talking about "the golden mean" and nautilus shells , spiral galaxies, pinwheels spinning,  whirlpools,  tornadoes, many chaos mathematics images...  

Then NIN's "the downward spiral" came out and poof, came the last name.  (also I was annoyed that my parents changed our "real" last name to something that was just easy to pronounce so I figured fuck it).   FB pisses me off because it some crazy how won't take "Spiral" as a last name.  Doesn't sound that bizarre to me. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I couldn't put my real  name, cause you would just fuck up your mind with it, and you would ruin my name by pronouncing it. So I got with Petra! My alternative name I use almost everywhere online. Why Petra? Well, it's cause I'm born on the very nice holiday which is linked with name Petra, and my mom wanted me to be called like that, and when I was baptized, that name stayed somewhere, like my second name.

• 3 months later...

I've used the same name online (with minor variations) since I first got online when I was 16 (1999). My first screen name ever was rosyblue_1999 (yahoo) and I still use that same email address. It kind of just popped into my head. My favorite color is blue and blue also represents my frequent depression but I try to stay friendly and optimistic, which is where the rosy comes from. When I first got online I spent most of my nights in yahoo chat rooms where people usually just called me rosy for short. I've had a few other screen names that I've used sparingly but rosyblue is my main.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I've evolved over the years and no longer identify as Spook. I am now nºMad (they/them). The name was given to me by a former coworker. I was quality control for an order fulfillment warehouse and I guess my concentration face looks a lot like angry face. Every time he approached me he'd say, "Whoa, you mad bro?" and I'd answer, "No mad. What's up?" Once he got used to my personality, he just started calling me Nomad. I changed the spelling because reasons.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...