**Crawls out of her hole more than she intended, but what ho**

Dude is much confuzed. I started my Ebay business in 1999 prior to joining TSB. Quit doing it when we moved to NC between 2002 and 2005. Never really went back to it, except to flip the occasional good yard sale find once in a great while.

Now I'm a small sculpture artist in northern Michigan. *SNORT* (inside joke) Well, not quite yet. Working on it. In the middle of yet another move (our 14th or 15th in 13 years - I've lost count) from one side of Grand Traverse Bay to the other so everything's on hold.

Jon is working. But his real success has been with three Etsy shops. One making and selling Steampunk art. Ironically, he got disenchanted with steampunk and was letting his shop slowly die last year when a set dresser for the forthcoming film "Journey II - Mysterious Island" bought out most of his remaining stock to use in the film. And a new book on steampunk was just published which also features some of his creations. Shop is closed, but he doesn't discount re-opening it someday.

His real success has been with woodcarvings and selling rocks we find on the beach or snorkeling that he drills holes into and sells as jewelry findings. You'd be blown away what people will pay for the petoskey stones I've casually picked up my whole life up here.

Anyway, keeping busy, keeping off message boards for the most part. Whole different life up here, and we're really happy. Kinda miss the goth scene - my leather corsets, tutus and platform boots are all in storage and replaced with bohemian peasant tops, cutoff jean shorts and sandals.

Thanks, Eternal.

But to me, the "old guard" consists of Spacin', Manic Queen, Bill Maddox, Luciferia, Kevo, myself, and of course - Fearless Leader himself, Troy. ;)

Anywayz, back to packing the house up.

By the way - Northport sucks. Never move here. Bunch of rich fucks who don't bother tipping the bag boys that carry their groceries out to their BMW's and Lexus'. Haven't seen fake friendliness this bad since North Carolina's BS "southern hospitality" myth. Hmm... NORTH Carolina. NORTHport... hmmm...

***crawls slowly back into hole***

Funny. I was thinking about you and John the other day. I haven't been on the board for a few months. I sign in... the whole place is different again... and here you are. *hug*

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it was and what it has evolved into are potentially two different things, depending on your point of view.

"... many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi

I feel that DGN is what you make of it, so if you're dissatisfied, then it's your own fault. Not you specifically of course, but a general, universal, ambiguous you.

"... many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi

I feel that DGN is what you make of it, so if you're dissatisfied, then it's your own fault. Not you specifically of course, but a general, universal, ambiguous you.

By that you mean me.... *cries*

Good post btw.

**Crawls out of her hole more than she intended, but what ho**

In the middle of yet another move (our 14th or 15th in 13 years - I've lost count)

Holy crap. Wow. I at least one of them was for the hubby's work, but the rest? I'm sure they are all different but whats the common thread? Get tired of places easy?

I still remember trying to hunt down your place on the east-ish coast on google earth and you trying to describe how to find it via an areial view and your profile =D

Jon is working. But his real success has been with three Etsy shops. One making and selling Steampunk art. Ironically, he got disenchanted with steampunk and was letting his shop slowly die last year when a set dresser for the forthcoming film "Journey II - Mysterious Island" bought out most of his remaining stock to use in the film. And a new book on steampunk was just published which also features some of his creations. Shop is closed, but he doesn't discount re-opening it someday.

Seems like that would be time to cash in on the spike in interest maybe. Had to google what Etsy was. (For the curious but lazy heres a link. What's the advantage of that over Ebay? I assume there is one.

His real success has been with woodcarvings and selling rocks we find on the beach or snorkeling that he drills holes into and sells as jewelry findings. You'd be blown away what people will pay for the petoskey stones I've casually picked up my whole life up here.

Whats "snorkling"? "Stuff you find while snorkling" ? Me Heart Petoskey stones.

Thanks, Eternal.

But to me, the "old guard" consists of Spacin', Manic Queen, Bill Maddox, Luciferia, Kevo, myself, and of course - Fearless Leader himself, Troy. ;)

Anywayz, back to packing the house up.

By the way - Northport sucks. Never move here. Bunch of rich fucks who don't bother tipping the bag boys that carry their groceries out to their BMW's and Lexus'. Haven't seen fake friendliness this bad since North Carolina's BS "southern hospitality" myth. Hmm... NORTH Carolina. NORTHport... hmmm...

***crawls slowly back into hole***

thats the OLD OLD guard, not to be confused with the OLD Guard. hah.. actually theres some overlap between the Old Guard and the Old Old Guard... Manic & Spacin are kinda in the mid-old guard :gathering:

Damn that Bill Maddox, talked to him like a year ago, his wife has got him so locked down hes barely allowed to talk on the phone. Odd he was sort of the He-Man type when I knew him in real life.

Damn them places with the word "north" in them! *shakes angry fist*

Good to see you again and know your still alive and kicking.

I didn't even have a computer in 01! Sorry I'm unable to contribute as much anymore these days. But I still have the bumper sticker on my chair and pass out cards! :D

That's a good man right there. The Street Team has been in hibernation for awhile, but I'm going to try and re-start it soon, if your still "in" you'll probably be instnaniously in like the top 5 best promoters, when i look at the data "DBK" and "Dead Burger King" pop up a TON.

A lot of the moves have been due to renting places that start of good and end up crap. Usually due to new neighbors moving in whom suck in some way (we no longer will live in multiple-family residences, only single-family houses).

We wouldn't have left the last place until we were ready to buy a house. But the landlords divorced and insist on selling the house. It looks like the current place will - hopefully - be the last place we rent. We should be in a position to buy in a couple years.

Advantage of Etsy over Ebay - Ebay sucks for selling handmade items. Etsy specializes in hand crafts. They do allow some vintage, but it's not the major focus. It's a fixed-price site, not auction.

Snorkeling - shallow water (usually not deeper than about 6') exploration using a diving mask and snorkel. Not as involved as scuba - no tanks, no wetsuits.

Good to see you again and know your still alive and kicking.

Thanks. In a good place right now with Jon and everything life. Some BS to wade through, as for everyone. But overall, at one of the happiest points ever in our lives.

Might poke about on DGN a little more than I have for the past few years. But I try to keep my internet time to a minimum these days. Not a bad thing, really.

To think of the things I've been through in the past 3 years I've been on here and support I've gotten within that time.

Love

Apathy

Love

Addiction

Tragedy

Depression

Friendship

Bad Movies

Joy

Thank You All!

Just think about how many other DGN spin off boards have risen and fallen since this one has been in existence.

Yeah. Forgot about that. The original one that I was aware of happened right in the first year. Theres been "anti dgn" boards , and just sort of "me too" type boards zzzzzzz.

The great sage Spook speaks truths again. Yeah honestly the "makeup" of DGN is partly in the eye of the beholder, it can be looked at as a lot of different things, also theres plenty of room to "remake" aspects of it if people are willing to put in effort , even if that's just mental effort.

I remember THREE WEEKS after DGN started i heard the first "dgn has gone to the dogs its not like it was in the old days" and every 3 weeks since then probably. hah

I didn't even have a computer in 01! Sorry I'm unable to contribute as much anymore these days. But I still have the bumper sticker on my chair and pass out cards! :D

:whip

To think of the things I've been through in the past 3 years I've been on here and support I've gotten within that time.

Love

Apathy

Love

Addiction

Tragedy

Depression

Friendship

Bad Movies

Joy

Thank You All!

Good that the "negative" things that happen (inevitably) don't run you off. Some people tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Now that's a long time to be around...not many forums can last that long!

When I started I thought "ok now theres a million websites out there that are either defunct or just ghost towns, if your gonna do this your going to have to take it seriously and basicly be married to it / it needs to take on a life of its own, so don't start it if your not serious." little did i know how much time would eventually be involved. :fear:

• 3 weeks later...

10 years eh? Now that's a really long time! I decided to lurk *just this once* and am pleased to see that the place has kept up. Nice to see some of the familiar faces mixed in with the new.

Good job Troy, you have done well.

Good to see you!

BTW, I went back to the old board to see the old peeps.

WOW!

cool. I keep meaning to archive it somehow in case it goes away... probably should do that.

I actually think there are a few more people on the board left over form the very early 01 and 02 days, but since the 01 and 02 days, but since the "new" board didnt start until 03 (and thus the join dates of anyone that switched over was just auto-set to 03 they'd have to TELL me to change their join dates manually. Of which only about 15 people did.

Every time I talk to someone about the old days (05/06) and the DGN corner where everyone would hang, they'll say

"But I joined in 08 or 09. I don't know what you're talking about."

Yeah, WHAT dgn corner? is probably a common response. Used to be mobbed. Working on re-building one but stage one includes rebuilding a "group" which i'm doing, but also makes it hard to actualy 'stay in the corner' when your in heavy group-building mode thats sort of stage 2.

You know you're DGN-OLD, when you not only know the long standing members, you

know their original screen names before they got banned the first two times.

Somehow I missed part of this the first time I read it. Hah. Now thats funny right there. Strange thing is in the 10 years there's really been maybe 1 person a year getting banned (a lot of ACCOUNTS get banned: spammers and just random dummy accounts / the same idiots on a new account) its a lot more lax than people think, one of the "problems" lets call it is we dont leave the insulting rudeness up on the board, so people dont nessisarly know why somone got banned and they can claim (like on facebook say) that they were just "unfairly persecuted". Although in the last 5 years say, the play nice rules are even less strictly enforced than in ages past so if you get banned now, its just due to totally ignoring the fact that we expect people to at least make a good faith attempt to be civil (and calm the hell down asap if they do have a bad day and be dicks a few times)

10 years eh? Now that's a really long time! I decided to lurk *just this once* and am pleased to see that the place has kept up. Nice to see some of the familiar faces mixed in with the new.

Good job Troy, you have done well.

Somone quick, grab her!

Somone quick, grab her!

Hehe. Not very elusive, I know. After 4 years of near perfect silence - I basically intend to bludgeon you with my presence and undoubtedly run away again. I really tried to just lurk earlier - but this thread pulled on my sentimental heartstrings. It made me yearn (briefly) to go back to the clubs, to go camping and bowling, and to the movies, even a picnic or two.

Hehe. Not very elusive, I know. After 4 years of near perfect silence - I basically intend to bludgeon you with my presence and undoubtedly run away again. I really tried to just lurk earlier - but this thread pulled on my sentimental heartstrings. It made me yearn (briefly) to go back to the clubs, to go camping and bowling, and to the movies, even a picnic or two.

I now the nighttime stuff is a bit hard for you but, you were always good at organizing things, other than the camping we really have no "daytime" stuff , but people will go to such things, just need to be organized.

Also you still in ferndale like your sig says? If you don't have to get up early on thursday, some of us will be at the plaece in my signature >this< wednesday. (not sure if that will mess up your day/night cycle or not) Its pretty close to ferndale.

I now the nighttime stuff is a bit hard for you but, you were always good at organizing things, other than the camping we really have no "daytime" stuff , but people will go to such things, just need to be organized.

Also you still in ferndale like your sig says? If you don't have to get up early on thursday, some of us will be at the plaece in my signature >this< wednesday. (not sure if that will mess up your day/night cycle or not) Its pretty close to ferndale.

The night must be playing tricks on you, I am in Westland.

Yeah, that trek would be pretty hard on my schedule. I was never really comfortable at the clubs anyway till I got so drunk I forgot myself; don't really want to go back there anymore.

Edited by Marblez

The night must be playing tricks on you, I am in Westland.

Yeah, that trek would be pretty hard on my schedule. I was never really comfortable at the clubs anyway till I got so drunk I forgot myself; don't really want to go back there anymore.

I always will be be grateful that you came and saw Alienare shows (including our first show).

If we ever get back together (Alienare) we will have to do a Marblez tribute song.

I always will be be grateful that you came and saw Alienare shows (including our first show).

If we ever get back together (Alienare) we will have to do a Marblez tribute song.

Coming from anyone else, Phee, I think I would be scared. :)

No, still scared.

Coming from anyone else, Phee, I think I would be scared. :)

No, still scared.

Well since the name of our band is Alienare and that translates to mean: "To make strange." I guess it is only appropriate that you feel weirded out.

It's crazy to think how many people's lives have changed because of it and how many of us would have never met (and in some cases gotten married) if we hadn't wandered in here one way or another. Not to slob your knob and shit...but DAMN. A super pat on the back is in order :unworthy:.

I couldn't agree more. Thanks to DGN, I have made so many friends and found the love of my life.

I love you, DGN!!! :thanks:

I couldn't agree more. Thanks to DGN, I have made so many friends and found the love of my life.

I love you, DGN!!! :thanks:

Thanks for the positive vibes...

wait a minute omg! A siren sighting! quick someone grab her too! *looks at raev* So i gotta work on Raev to get Siren on the board more AND get his ass out to the clubs/bar more. *plots*

Thanks for the positive vibes...

wait a minute omg! A siren sighting! quick someone grab her too! *looks at raev* So i gotta work on Raev to get Siren on the board more AND get his ass out to the clubs/bar more. *plots*

Good luck getting Raev out, especially if it is City Club that you have in mind. If you can pull that one off, I owe you a beer.