What is the last book(s) you read? (or are reading)

• 3 months later...

I've started reading A Game of Thrones. I plan to always stay behind the show because I'd rather do it that way. I'm impressed by the writing though I would almost put it under 'Medieval Horror'.

It might take me awhile to finish it and get to the next book; since, in the vein of lack of evidence I don't believe in ADD/ADHD, and to a large degree let my attention go where it wants, which is also spread out across my own writing.

Edited by Coffeenated

Finished A Game of Thrones awhile ago, but that was the last book i read until very recently. First time i've ever thought that the book/show/film might be about as good or that the film/show might actually be better. Having watched/read both helps a lot, as the show is pretty faithful to the book but its hard to follow a lot of the detail, with both , you have a clear picture of what is going on and a lot of interesting details that are hinted at in the show are more clearly laid out in the book.

More recently The Magic of Reality (should be required reading for people that don't read non-fiction, or some other similar book, say Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World maybe or Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking the arguments made in the last two are very hard to agrue with if you actually read them. The world might be less F ed up if people thought more like this.

Currently working on the Sci Fi classic The Forever War its known as this fairly deep book about the futility of various aspects of mankind, but it sure reads like breezy page turner so far anyway.

Only books I have with me and am reading currently are the ones I took with me for the trainride when I moved to Windsor. Had to leave all my others behind.

The End of Faith ; Sam Harris

Kraftwerk : I Was a Robot ; Wolfgang Flür

Only books I have with me and am reading currently are the ones I took with me for the trainride when I moved to Windsor. Had to leave all my others behind.

The End of Faith ; Sam Harris

Kraftwerk : I Was a Robot ; Wolfgang Flür

Read End of Faith awhile ago, very interesting. His much , much shorter book "Letter to a Christian Nation" while it does cover different ground, I think makes a lot of the "important" points but more focused on why they "matter" specifically, whereas in Faith he covers a lot of the who/what/when/where why, which we may or may not find interesting. I usually put "Letter" on my short list of recommended books (and always if its a nonfiction list).

Looking forward to reading his most recent one Free Will but probably wont get to it for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear. Very good, also very technical with the biology/anthropology terms (although you can just skim them and still get what the point is), which might put some people off and very light on the "science fiction" aspects , other than the "disease" that breaks out until the last 20 pages or so.

Much more of a traditional "thriller" type book. Than the summary would indicate.

• 2 weeks later...

Free Will by Sam Harris

HO LEE SHIT

I don't like it, but it seems to just be a fact. Suck it up troy. Yikes.

I did a LOT more research after reading this book, yep, as bad as it was accepting that time is not constant and actually speeds up and slows down based on how close you are to strong gravity or how fast you are moving, and that space is a "thing" that expands , that is the "empty space" gets larger... this concept is even harder, and, its legitimate. Oo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been taking my time getting through Nikola Tesla and Christopher Hitchens's autobiographies. I think its ironic that for all the intelligence people attribute to Tesla, he had such a positive view of tobacco due to lack of studies on it at the time, and from my viewpoint I think him and the early-Industrial world definitely had it confused with weed which is healthier and has a better buzz. I refuse to listen to my audiobook of Hitch-22 fast because I only catch most of the words and listening to even ten minutes of it can give me serious motivation to write.

Edited by Coffeenated

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch a few weeks ago, book 2 in the gentlemen bastard sequence :). Also still working on the bible (just for shits) and the Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Green. Think I need to start a new fiction book soon though.

Edited by Shaun

• 2 weeks later...