What is the last book(s) you read? (or are reading)

Well thought out story but WAY too wordy and kinda boring imo....

So it's basically me then, is what you're saying.

So it's basically me then, is what you're saying.
Edited by Chernobyl

• 1 month later...

ROFL!! Nah I've yet to see you spend 5 pages describing relatively normal trees and castle chambers.

Maybe you have the special edition with extra materials catering to the interests of arborists and interior decorators...which is exactly the kind of stuff I'm reading right now: books on tree pruning and wall painting.

Wild Cards I by George R.R. Martin. Its basically a collection of Super Hero short stories written by a bunch of different authors and all set in the same universe. Its good stuff if thats your thing :).

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Basically, its about a guy who becomes a Grim Reaper. Absolutely hilarious novel. I'm also rereading The Lord of the Rings trilogy because its epic. And, like always, I have the collected works of both Shakespeare and Poe next to my bed for late night reading.

Just discovered a great new author! Tony Vigorito is the shiznitz! I was all loving on Christopher Moore books until I realized I've now read them all, and Amazon recommended I read "Just a couple of days" and "Nine kinds of Naked" by Vigorito and now I'm passing that recommendation on to you.

Also, picked up a lovely little children's book "Ten Little Zombies" at Urban Outfitters the other day, and squealed in delight the whole way through.

Enjoy these literary marvels :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Soul of the Fire (sword of truth 5) by Terry Goodkind, Great fantasy series :thumbsup: . Now I'm rereading Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington 4) by David Weber, Its an old military sci-fi series. Great read if your into that type of thing, which I am. Next I think I'm going the tackle the Critique of Practical Reason by Immanuel Kant.

Edited by Shaun

I read all of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels in preparation for season four of "True Blood." She's not great, but she's great fun. There was never a point at which I bookmarked a passage wanting to memorize it for its poetic or philosophical value, but I laughed often. Sometimes with her and sometimes at her, but I laughed nonetheless.

Finished:

First They Killed My Father

Painful read, far, more than The Diary Of Ann Frank (Definitive Edition) <<--- highly recommended, even if you think you read it already maybe say in jr high, read it aggain unless you read this exact version, they left a lot of details out of it until Ann's father died, some of which are lets call it , unexpected.

but then went back and re-read the last few chapters of The Glorious Cause, I wouldn't recommend either of these books particularly, even though they are both good, just so much other stuff higher up on the list (and The Glorious Cause has like a 200 page dry section in the middle, although the final chapters are very enlightening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" and have moved on to an old Betty Ford autobiography (figured I'd snatch that up from my library before everyone else jumped on the death bandwagon). She was quite an interesting woman.

Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders

Not quite done yet, but its pretty good. They should teach this stuff starting in like first grade, far more important than 90% of what they do teach. I'm told the point of (primary) school is to "learn how to learn" , but I had very, very little of that type of education in any of my classes.

I'd probably suggest:

Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking

Over this one though as being more comprehensive, this one is very breezy (and its very short) altough i guess that might work in its favor. Hell read both, probably more important than the first 1000 books i read.

The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist's Guide to Success in Business and Life by Avinash K. Dixit & Barry J. Nalebuff. Good book but parts of it get a little technical with the math. To be fair though they tell you when its gonna happen so you can skip that section though :p.

Now I'm half way through Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Was thinking about reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I decided that I wanted to read the original first.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Megalicious

After Troy and I had some dork talk of the concept for time last night I dug up Sean Carroll's- From Eternity to Here. I had been meaning to give it a go but have been busy as of late- so far so good :)

Currently:

The Fabric of The Cosmos - Brian Greene

I read this before but I was really sick at the time so im re-reading it as I just sort of blew through it which I hate doing.

This will probably take me a long ass time to read due to that.

Funny if you look up the book Meg is reading it has this book and Greene's Other two books automatically "bundled" with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Here-Quest-Ultimate-Theory/dp/0452296544/ref=pd_sim_b_13

Really though I would suggest the following documentaries before any books on such subjects:

Nova: Origins

Hyperspace

The two above are especially good at drawing the connection from the earliest deep-time (big bang) to modern organic chemistry and life which I think makes the whole thing more compelling.

Newton's Dark Secrets

Einstein's Big Idea

The Elegant Universe

and if you dont watch Cosmos by Carl Sagan (this means you, reader) before you die, you suck!

(Documentaries) first just to get an overview (and a different take on some of the examples) of these hard to grasp concepts before reading books on the subjects.

Finished pride and prejudice, then I read Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein for the third or forth time (he's my favorite author):). Now I think I'm gonna read a book called The End of Growth, Adapting to Our New Economic Reality by Richard Heinberg.

Edited by Shaun