Deathrock & Goth Love

Joey Deadcat

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I was trying to be nice I guess :laugh:. It's a sad world we live in.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE ISN'T DEATHROCK?! And all this time...... Lol. J/k. I like MCR (at least when they weren't all dancey and shit), anyway, but I DO know they're not deathrock. Lol. Ok, tell me am I going in the right direction? Deathrock or no? A guy in a band I like called Motionless In White always says he likes this band (I know they're a bit punk) along with bands like Calabrese, The Misfits and whatnot.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE ISN'T DEATHROCK?! And all this time...... Lol. J/k. I like MCR (at least when they weren't all dancey and shit), anyway, but I DO know they're not deathrock. Lol. Ok, tell me am I going in the right direction? Deathrock or no? A guy in a band I like called Motionless In White always says he likes this band (I know they're a bit punk) along with bands like Calabrese, The Misfits and whatnot.

That song there easily falls under the very lose, umbrella term of death rock. Some might say its too punk but whatever. A band like The Misfits totally fit into the "deathrock" and "gothic" sounds but didn't use the terms to describe themselves. 45 Grave and The Cramps both fit too, but sound very different from each other as an example.

Gothic and Deathrock were interchangeable for a long time, and still are depending on who your talking to. the "revival" of the term to separate a type of music that is more "punk/rock" from the "eletro" stuff. The Sisters of Mercy were the first band that I remember personally hearing people complaining about for being too electronic from the purists to be "real goth". Funny now but at the time that was a serious complaint.

I personally have a very lose definition of all such terms, to the point were bands very few people would consider deathrock or gothic are just that, but with a small d or a small g rather than being "serious <insert genere here>" (hesitate to use the term "hardcore" as that confuses the issue even more lol.

Its like 90% gray area most of the time for two reasons :

1. MOST (and i mean like 99%) bands that are "deathrock" aka "real goth" (an elteist concept to begin with which I dont like honestly) dont want to be called goth or deathrock. Its up to "us" to decide not them, as for the most part bands , especially bands that are bigger, are afraid of the label (and publicists are scared to death of it). Combination of a lack of balls and dishonesty about where their influences come from in a lot of cases or just sucubbing to peer pressure against this type of music in the industry (and in society).

2. Everyone has a different opinion about what "it" is.

Some people get all upset when you start saying something is or isnt one thing or the other. I think its silly but people are just that way. I guess its a combination of liking something a lot, and also not being able to deal with dissent. =( I've done goth, industrial, gothabily, deathrock (insert random term here) shows on 89.3 FM on and off for years, and have done a TON of homework on what bands are considered what type of music, and its all over the place depending on who your talking to. Turns into some sort of ego debate for some reason. Its just silly honestly. Lets get mad about world hunger, not what type of music something is or isnt. =D

Nice to see you on the board BTW.

That song there easily falls under the very lose, umbrella term of death rock. Some might say its too punk but whatever. A band like The Misfits totally fit into the "deathrock" and "gothic" sounds but didn't use the terms to describe themselves. 45 Grave and The Cramps both fit too, but sound very different from each other as an example.

Gothic and Deathrock were interchangeable for a long time, and still are depending on who your talking to. the "revival" of the term to separate a type of music that is more "punk/rock" from the "eletro" stuff. The Sisters of Mercy were the first band that I remember personally hearing people complaining about for being too electronic from the purists to be "real goth". Funny now but at the time that was a serious complaint.

I personally have a very lose definition of all such terms, to the point were bands very few people would consider deathrock or gothic are just that, but with a small d or a small g rather than being "serious <insert genere here>" (hesitate to use the term "hardcore" as that confuses the issue even more lol.

Its like 90% gray area most of the time for two reasons :

1. MOST (and i mean like 99%) bands that are "deathrock" aka "real goth" (an elteist concept to begin with which I dont like honestly) dont want to be called goth or deathrock. Its up to "us" to decide not them, as for the most part bands , especially bands that are bigger, are afraid of the label (and publicists are scared to death of it). Combination of a lack of balls and dishonesty about where their influences come from in a lot of cases or just sucubbing to peer pressure against this type of music in the industry (and in society).

2. Everyone has a different opinion about what "it" is.

Some people get all upset when you start saying something is or isnt one thing or the other. I think its silly but people are just that way. I guess its a combination of liking something a lot, and also not being able to deal with dissent. =( I've done goth, industrial, gothabily, deathrock (insert random term here) shows on 89.3 FM on and off for years, and have done a TON of homework on what bands are considered what type of music, and its all over the place depending on who your talking to. Turns into some sort of ego debate for some reason. Its just silly honestly. Lets get mad about world hunger, not what type of music something is or isnt. =D

Nice to see you on the board BTW.

I agree. When people start sub categorizing music and whatnot, it just gets stupid and confusing. I have a general idea of what falls under what label but some people take it too far and I can admit I've done it too. But music is music and it's not something that should be made into an elitist club. I like waaaaay too many different types of music to memorize a subcategory of a subcategory. And thank you. I missed it here. Lol.

I agree. When people start sub categorizing music and whatnot, it just gets stupid and confusing. I have a general idea of what falls under what label but some people take it too far and I can admit I've done it too. But music is music and it's not something that should be made into an elitist club. I like waaaaay too many different types of music to memorize a subcategory of a subcategory. And thank you. I missed it here. Lol.

omg you like OTHER types of music??? OMFG! Thats IT! I'm leaving!! I don't love u anymore! * storms out door* Hrmpph!!!! :rant:

:flower::grouphug:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very PiL/Joy Division, I need to pay more attention to Last.FM.

Reposting this from the repeat thread, "CERBERUS-APPROVED EGYPTIAN HIP HOP". Its not necessarily Gothic, but has enough elements to fit into the thread, like plant-drumming, weird hair, and Post-punk vibes like above.

Edited by Coffeenated