Maleficent to get own live-action film?

Sorry. She is my favorite Disney villain and it irks me that you misspelled her name in the topic title. Maleficent, not Maleficient. What irks me more? That error originated in the article you linked. The errant parts of the article with corrections:

From her two-pronged headdress down to her pet crow, Sleeping Beauty's Maleficent has always been the baddest of the bad. She's so delightfully evil she may be the first Disney villain to get her own live action feature. Even though Cruella de Vil was brought to life by Glenn Close, she was always second banana to the pound of dalmatians. Rumor has it that Disney wants a Maleficient-centric (Maleficent-centric, please) script - they're fat with Alice In Wonderland cash and ready to spend a little more. Hoping to strike it rich again, Disney has hired Alice's screenwriter, Linda Woolverton, to write the screenplay.

The comments on that are harsh...wow

My spelling and punctuation corrections or the responses to the article in the link? If the latter, of course they are! They're talking about Hollywood. No one ever says anything not snarky about Hollywood--it would be poor form.

Honestly, though, I hope they don't take the "Wicked" misunderstood villainess angle. I liked Maleficent because she was such pure, unadulterated evil. Don't rob her of her purity, please! It was her character that inspired my first juvenile philosophical inquiry into the nature of evil--how evil acts can be differentiated from unfortunate ones--and I don't want those memories to have the considerably late addendum of a P\C whitewash.

• 1 month later...
Guest Megalicious

I was thinking about this the other day while watching Sleeping Beauty- if King Stephen and his queen weren't such stuck up assholes and had invited Maleficent to the officially royal baby unveiling (or what ever the hell it's called in the Disney realm), they could have avoid the whole " your daughter is going to die at 16" thing.

Yeah, she may have been the crazy, green lady that lives in the dark/lighting filled castle with the crazy squawking bird, but she looks like she would be the life of a party if you ask me.

I don't know why this ran through my head as I watched it- perhaps I'm just bias.

Sorry, off subject- please continue.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...