Who's Your Favorite Dead Person?

-Fallen Into Bliss

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this will not be a popular statement... but honestly folks who commit suicide kind of bug me as far who to look up to... (Kurt Cobain)

Pro: Takes EXTREME strength of will to do

Con: Is dreadfully hard on loved ones in cultures where it is not acceptable

A thought: Does "favorite" necessarily imply "admire"? There may be people we find fascinating for their complexity and/or impact on the world, yet would never want to emulate or support their beliefs/policies. I chose people I DO admire... but that's just me.

Edited by pomba gira

Guest Megalicious

I know this will not be a popular statement... but honestly folks who commit suicide kind of bug me as far who to look up to... (Kurt Cobain)

It all depends on what context and state of mind the person was in when following through with the suicide.

Examples:

Kurt Cobain - Did it out of desperation, fear and the inability to cope with life. Not that I don't admire him for what he did but ... umm..... yeah.

In contrast to...

Dr. Thompson - who was no longer in use of his body -physical. Who made a sound and solid choice for what seemed best for him, got his affairs in order and thought about it for a long time. It was not an impulse or an emotional based choice and I can respect him for that. And lets face it, Hunter lived enough for a million of us ...

It all depends on what context and state of mind the person was in when following through with the suicide.

Examples:

Kurt Cobain - Did it out of desperation, fear and the inability to cope with life. Not that I don't admire him for what he did but ... umm..... yeah.

In contrast to...

Dr. Thompson - who was no longer in use of his body -physical. Who made a sound and solid choice for what seemed best for him, got his affairs in order and thought about it for a long time. It was not an impulse or an emotional based choice and I can respect him for that. And lets face it, Hunter lived enough for a million of us ...

i love suicide stories of the famous, because in some cases mysteries are never solved It leaves everyone wondering why! It's like the end to a massive mystery!! you always want to venture further!

Pro: Takes EXTREME strength of will to do

Con: Is dreadfully hard on loved ones in cultures where it is not acceptable.

I used to feel that way, thinking it would take courage to end it that way. I know a few fairly painless ways to commit suicide, so physically it would be easy, but thinking on it more, I've changed my view.

I'm sure a lot of us have been on the brink of suicide.

It takes extreme strength of will to not take that way out, to continue on and try to make things better or shake your fist at the world and at least see what kind of hell you can raise along the way.

One thing I have learned in this life is that things can change for better or worse in a matter of days, and you really never know what turns life could take.

To me, when you are facing the desperation that drags you down into that hellish place, it's the decision to continue living that takes courage.

Edited by Onyx

I missed all the Rommel stuff...

There is very good reason to admire the desert fox

"Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command."

The only figure from that era still held in high regard throughout most of Germany today. And he was a DAMN good general

I used to feel that way, thinking it would take courage to end it that way. I know a few fairly painless ways to commit suicide, so physically it would be easy, but thinking on it more, I've changed my view.

I'm sure a lot of us have been on the brink of suicide.

It takes extreme strength of will to not take that way out, to continue on and try to make things better or shake your fist at the world and at least see what kind of hell you can raise along the way.

One thing I have learned in this life is that things can change for better or worse in a matter of days, and you really never know what turns life could take.

To me, when you are facing the desperation that drags you down into that hellish place, it's the decision to continue living that takes courage.

Didn't say "courage", said "strength of will". Meaning the will for the conscious mind to overcome the body's pure physical will to survive.

I kind of have different views on life and death than most folks, so I won't comment on the "courage" part... which is a purely cultural thing anyway. Except to say that it's interesting how in most choices between known/unknown, we see the unknown as the more "courageous" choice... this is really the only exception I can think of.

Edited by pomba gira

I missed all the Rommel stuff...

There is very good reason to admire the desert fox

"Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command."

The only figure from that era still held in high regard throughout most of Germany today. And he was a DAMN good general

And he wasn't the only one...but he is a more obvious one. Schindler ,Gerstein, and Albert Goering are a few others that I would give credit to.

Edited by candyman

Back to the actual topic... some less "serious" ones:

Josephine Baker (1906-1975)

Avram Davidson (1923-1993)

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (1942-1970)

Jim Carroll (1949-2009)

Personal ones:

Myrtle Mariea Christie Caliman Moore (1914-2006) my maternal great-aunt, surrogate grandmother, and lifelong role model.

Ken Ford (1961-1988) my first friend to die of AIDS

When you think of all the medical bills and issues you have to deal with afterwards if you fail... It makes suicide much more challenging. Though the concept of reincarnation scares me more than hell. Isn't that strange?

When you think of all the medical bills and issues you have to deal with afterwards if you fail... It makes suicide much more challenging.

That was always a major deterrent for me... especially after spending several days on a locked psych ward. I didn't ever want to be in that horrible dehumanizing position again.

That was always a major deterrent for me... especially after spending several days on a locked psych ward. I didn't ever want to be in that horrible dehumanizing position again.

The psych ward wasn't as bad as being at home. (at the time, since now I live family free) It was kinda fun. But, I'm a people watcher, so I find people amusing in general. I found it supremely ironic that one person's idea of sane for me was completely different from another's and I'm not talking about the patients. I just don't like the bills. I really had considered doing something to get myself locked up in a high security prison in my youth. I debated whether or not it would be better to be completely isolated versus being around family. I just ended up disowning most of them, it was easier.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...