What's the last movie you saw?

Sunshine

Not the best movie ever made but worth watching. Especially if you like sci fi.

"Summary: The sun is dying. It is no longer providing the energy and the light that mankind needs to survive on Earth. The entire global community pools its resources to send a mission into space to deliver a bomb to reignite the part of the sun..."

A lot more on the artsy/metaphysical side than the billing would suggest. Not a popcorn movie.

Sunshine

Not the best movie ever made but worth watching. Especially if you like sci fi.

"Summary: The sun is dying. It is no longer providing the energy and the light that mankind needs to survive on Earth. The entire global community pools its resources to send a mission into space to deliver a bomb to reignite the part of the sun..."

A lot more on the artsy/metaphysical side than the billing would suggest. Not a popcorn movie.

I actually really liked Sunshine, but then I generally like the films of Danny Boyle, he's put out some pretty damn good movies.

good that its you reviewing it and not one of these *points around* film snobs, they hate everything. hah.

I look at a movies as someone's creative genius, I hate when reviewers are like "This movie is totally unrealistic" but it's a movie who says it has to be rooted in reality, if it's your idea and your proud of it make a movie. Usually when I go out and see movies I don't have expectations and this year has been pretty good for movies, this summer espcially.

I look at a movies as someone's creative genius, I hate when reviewers are like "This movie is totally unrealistic" but it's a movie who says it has to be rooted in reality, if it's your idea and your proud of it make a movie. Usually when I go out and see movies I don't have expectations and this year has been pretty good for movies, this summer espcially.

I think I understand your point, I just got confused by "creative genius" since, all movies can't be genius or the term wouldn't mean anything... not sure if that makes sense. Kind of like if you put an exclamation point at the end of every sentence in a book it would lose its meaning after awhile.

I do know what you mean about various interpretations of what a movie is "supposed" to be like (or not like). The problem is there is no objective way to really judge these things, its 99% opinion. (and that might be off by 1%)

In that particular case (Captian America) he was a childhood favorite of mine and I also like that they set it in the 40s rather than modern day (still haven't seen it though).

I actually really liked Sunshine, but then I generally like the films of Danny Boyle, he's put out some pretty damn good movies.

After I made that post I pondered it a bit more just randomly through the day and I like it more than I thought I did, It didn't have my full attention at the time which also probably didn't help.

Saying something is unrealistic is stupid, "expansion of disbelief" is key in film. As for the creative genius thing....most people dont make anything worth being called genius. and these days, they usually arent even the directors ideas, they are a mixed around version of some elses. I am a film snob, ill admit it, but I dont do much else aside from movies and music, so I want to see/hear good interesting stuff, not rehashed stories that are covered in CGI.

Prime example to me is...well, sunshine! lol...Id rather watch "Event Horizon" as its similar enough and has actors I appreciate more. Im not a fan of Killian Murphy.

Edited by DJ Nocker

Saying something is unrealistic is stupid, "expansion of disbelief" is key in film. As for the creative genius thing....most people dont make anything worth being called genius. and these days, they usually arent even the directors ideas, they are a mixed around version of some elses. I am a film snob, ill admit it, but I dont do much else aside from movies and music, so I want to see/hear good interesting stuff, not rehashed stories that are covered in CGI.

Prime example to me is...well, sunshine! lol...Id rather watch "Event Horizon" as its similar enough and has actors I appreciate more. Im not a fan of Killian Murphy.

I'm going to disagree with you on the statement that Sunshine is a prime example of a rehashed story covered in CGI, but plan to leave it at that, other than to state that if you really think about it all stories are rehashed from prior stories written thousands of years ago, one could claim that there really is no such thing as an original idea (basically, show me a film that doesn't rehash to some extent another film or story's elements, and I'll show you a film with no plot :p ). Apart from that, I agree on the parts about the expansion of disbelief (most critics that I generally read, never claim something looks "unrealistic" generally they take issue with films that don't bother to follow some sense of logic, even a bizarre one, or throw in effects for the sake of having effects) and the creative genius thing I agree with, though all films from almost the very beginning have been the works of multiple people and rarely the singular vision of one person. There have been exceptions to that rule, but film as an art form requires the aid of multiple people and that tends to lead to additional ideas being interlaced into the final product. The problem with most modern big budget productions comes down to scripts being written by committee, which end up resulting in films with no discernable plot, 1-dimensional characters, and attempts to appeal to the widest audience possible, with actors hired simply because they need a paycheck (see pretty much every Nick Cage film made in the last few years).

I'm going to disagree with you on the statement that Sunshine is a prime example of a rehashed story covered in CGI, but plan to leave it at that, other than to state that if you really think about it all stories are rehashed from prior stories written thousands of years ago, one could claim that there really is no such thing as an original idea (basically, show me a film that doesn't rehash to some extent another film or story's elements, and I'll show you a film with no plot :p ). Apart from that, I agree on the parts about the expansion of disbelief (most critics that I generally read, never claim something looks "unrealistic" generally they take issue with films that don't bother to follow some sense of logic, even a bizarre one, or throw in effects for the sake of having effects) and the creative genius thing I agree with, though all films from almost the very beginning have been the works of multiple people and rarely the singular vision of one person. There have been exceptions to that rule, but film as an art form requires the aid of multiple people and that tends to lead to additional ideas being interlaced into the final product. The problem with most modern big budget productions comes down to scripts being written by committee, which end up resulting in films with no discernable plot, 1-dimensional characters, and attempts to appeal to the widest audience possible, with actors hired simply because they need a paycheck (see pretty much every Nick Cage film made in the last few years).

No it wasnt covered in CGI but it resembled Event Horizon enough for me not to care. I was told it was a great movie, gave it a try, wasnt a fan is all. I need a new movie to reinstil my love for the stuff...

No it wasnt covered in CGI but it resembled Event Horizon enough for me not to care. I was told it was a great movie, gave it a try, wasnt a fan is all. I need a new movie to reinstil my love for the stuff...

Ok, I can see that. I guess I felt that the 2 films were different enough, and it was more the characters and presentation that I enjoyed about that film. Although I did love Event Horizon and do agree that they share some elements in common.

Here:

The past weekend was a movie watching weekend, so I saw:

Friday: Tangled, yes I watched it, it was on Netflix, and it was funny.

Saturday: Death Wish, The Usual Suspects, Heist, and part of There Will Be Blood (because I had to get going to meet up with some friends)

Sunday: the rest of There Will Be Blood (such a good movie that one is), Cronos, and Antichrist.

The past weekend was a movie watching weekend, so I saw:

Friday: Tangled, yes I watched it, it was on Netflix, and it was funny.

Saturday: Death Wish, The Usual Suspects, Heist, and part of There Will Be Blood (because I had to get going to meet up with some friends)

Sunday: the rest of There Will Be Blood (such a good movie that one is), Cronos, and Antichrist.

Usual Suspects and There Will Be Blood are great. What did you think of Antichrist?

Usual Suspects and There Will Be Blood are great. What did you think of Antichrist?

I liked it, there were a couple of slow spots (or I just needed a good nap before starting watching it, might need a second viewing), but overall loved the visuals, loved the film, loved loved loved that opening scene :)

I liked it, there were a couple of slow spots (or I just needed a good nap before starting watching it, might need a second viewing), but overall loved the visuals, loved the film, loved loved loved that opening scene :)

Yea its neat, to bad we wont be seeing anymore of the directors films appear at Cannes Film Fest...

Yea its neat, to bad we wont be seeing anymore of the directors films appear at Cannes Film Fest...

certainly not any time soon. It is always possible that they will reverse that decision. But at the same time they are a bit hypocritical, Von Triers did apologize and what he said was no where near as bad as some of the things Mel Gibson has said, but he's still welcomed back.