Where does your "look" come from?

Raev

• 1 month later...

My "look"comes mostly from the SA on State in Ann Arbor! But, I'm flexible. :happy:

That SA and the SA in Royal Joke are my favorites. There's a lady at the a2 one who seriously lowers the price on EVERYTHING for me no matter what, she'll just be like HMM. THIS SHOULD BE CHEAPER. K TWO DOLLARS OFF EACH THING.

XD

Guest Megalicious

That SA and the SA in Royal Joke are my favorites. There's a lady at the a2 one who seriously lowers the price on EVERYTHING for me no matter what, she'll just be like HMM. THIS SHOULD BE CHEAPER. K TWO DOLLARS OFF EACH THING.

XD

Yeah, they are awesome there! :heart:

my mom in a way she has like 17 tattoos and growing up i always liked seeing her get new ink and always wanted one myself then i seen Mad Max and thought that was one of the most badass movies i have ever seen and wished i could dress like that (even though i dont) then i started really really REALLY liking Rob Zombie a lot if i had the money i would make myself look like a total freak show hoever...half my body would be pierced and my whole body would be tattooed

• 1 month later...

An unusual cross between David Bowie, Adam Ant, and Billy Idol, really. There's some military inspiration, but mostly glam-rock with elements of New Wave and Punk. I like teasing my hair real big, I've been bleaching the hell out of it to the point that it's nearly white. I love tall boots, victorian jackets, tight black pants, elegant white shirts, etc.

I also never leave the house without eyeliner.

• 1 year later...

anacronistic styles. like my city club garb is rather different then normal chainmail. but yes to attain the out of the box. seperated from normal trends. is the goal.

also on a side note. i am trying to view trends not in the masculine/feminine type settings.. it takes a while. if i see a man in a dress. can i still say he is just as masculine as ever. or has culture placed a curse on the style to be feminine. at least with the goth crowd. its one step closer. but to think of looks and style all being androgyny. even to the point of subconciously not even labeling a style based on gender.

Being a huge fine art guy since i was like 10 years old a lot of the artists I liked seem to wear all black, before I ever heard of "gothic" I used to read beat generation stuff (Jack Keroac , Burroughs) and watched an old goofy b & w TV show called The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (he was a beat but they didnt wear much black really) but the "all black" thing was popular with the beats, and from a youngish age I just started dressing that way. So by the time I go to be about 23 70% of my wardrobe was black, now like 90% of it is, even though I dont "live the goth life" at all. (most of my interests wouldn't fit under any goth/industrial heading)

Plus u know , Johnny Cash, I mean god, wore all black.

Without really "thinking" about it, I just shifted that way.

That is if you can call random black pants and shirts a "look".

• 1 month later...

Probably the Internet is where I get my style from? That and family. A majority of them wear black.

I'm a basic chameleon - I look generally different from day to day. One day I'll have my usual long blondish brown hair with a big black hat and long skirt, another day I'll be dressed lolita with a black wig, frills and a mini top hat, and another day I'll be wearing a red wig, fishnets, stompy boots, and a band tee. I just like wearing whatever I like and think is cute, be it styles, wigs, contacts, etc.

Edited by Illuminatrix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My look evolved from growing up as a tomboy.

It started with anything I could play in and not be scolded for messing up my school clothes.

It progressed into a user friendly style that I could do both-go to school and play in.

The drawback in those days was I was the ONLY kid in my part of town wearing things like Hiker Boots with Jumper Dresses and giant balls in my hair.

Funny thing is kids laughed when I first wore that style, but come next semester everyone was wearing Hiker Boots with everything and giant balls were stylized into every possible due you could fathom.

Since I am the smallest in the family, I get hand-me-downs from everyone: parents, sisters and brother.

Living at poverty level, during those days, we always qualified for the Salvation Army free clothing drives and church giveaways.

I just added accessories to make everything fit.

Come the 80's, I realized I dressed almost like every teen movie out there at the time.

So the accessories included the current era while keeping the underlining tomboy.

Once I started purchasing my own clothes, my style was already set, by then, it was called Grunge with European Gothic.

The only difference is now I wear more black and added eyeliner and lipstick to the mix.:biggrin:

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't really say I have a style.  What I wear depends on the day and what I am doing mixed with different variables that we all face from day to day life.  It is true that my wardrobe is black, save a few dress shirts that are purple or grey and I do have tee shirts with graphics or writing but the main color is black.  This came about from a mixture of several influences such as my grandfather falling ill and eventually passing, many musical influences, and a general feeling of not fitting in with society where I grew up.

I have been known to get "Gothed Out" from time to time if I really want to stand out at a special event of if I just feel artistic that day.  My main influence for these nights comes from my youth.  My grandfather wanted me to have an extraordinary life so he found people to teach me various forms for performance arts.  I started with your basic juggling skills at around 6 but quickly found a love for side shows at carnivals.  It was hard to find carnival work that satisfied my desire to shock people so I broadened my bookings to goth group gatherings and other small venue events.  By 12 I was almost exclusively booking these evens mainly doing fire eating and escape acts.  

Although I have since given up performing due to a mixture of liability insurance rates skyrocketing and numerous injuries, I still feel that these experiences played a large part in making me who I am today.  I may have nerve damage in my leg and suffer from pain all the time because of past injuries, I am thankful for every moment I had because I know I lived my life to the fullest and shared my passion for the beauty of these strange, almost lost, skills.  

• 10 months later...

Well...

Blood / Blood II: The Chosen

tumblr_mnjaaxZgNx1r2to8go1_500.jpg

This was pretty much the basis of my look.  Then I went with black instead of brown, and a duster instead of a trench coat.

I've heard people tell me I "look like the guy from Fields of the Nephilim."  I honestly didn't know who they were at the time.  Funny how that clicked in my head when I saw a photo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2012 at 4:02 PM, Troy Spiral said:

Being a huge fine art guy since i was like 10 years old a lot of the artists I liked seem to wear all black, before I ever heard of "gothic" I used to read beat generation stuff (Jack Keroac , Burroughs) and watched an old goofy b & w TV show called The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (he was a beat but they didnt wear much black really) but the "all black" thing was popular with the beats, and from a youngish age I just started dressing that way. So by the time I go to be about 23 70% of my wardrobe was black, now like 90% of it is, even though I dont "live the goth life" at all. (most of my interests wouldn't fit under any goth/industrial heading)

Plus u know , Johnny Cash, I mean god, wore all black.

Without really "thinking" about it, I just shifted that way.

That is if you can call random black pants and shirts a "look".

Forgot I wrote that.   Also... it comes from... shit I have left over from when I could afford new clothes.  Even like a pair of damn pants is a big decision.  God help me if I need a new coat.  *shudder*  lol

I have always loved The Addams Family.

140911-addams-family-01.jpg?quality=75&s

Morticia Addams was always so classy and elegant. I wanted to be her. Her romance with Gomez drove my idea of what love should be.

-font-b-Renaissance-b-font-Gown-Sewing-f

Fairytales, Renaissance Festivals, and royalty (real life, not fictional) were also influences.

rBVaGlYh8piAWddaAAKlYx0kVjQ846.jpg

However, Little House on the Prairie, the book collection, not the TV series, added the final touches. Extremely helpful especially since many of the clothes I wanted were too expensive. 

I blended it all together and achieved a style that I feel completely comfortable in.

• 2 months later...

My look is ever changing and evolving over the years. In my younger years I had to settle with what my parents got me. Second hand clothes and cheap shit from kmart and family dollar. As I hit my middle and high school years I wanted to fit in so I worked part time jobs in the summer and my grandmother would take me to the mall and give me some extra money to buy a few overpriced trendy brands because I got fed up with being harassed in school. By my junior and senior year I felt sick of it all and I seen goths on tv, movies and very rarely school or shopping at malls (which were all a hour or more drive away) I was in a small town on the river full of rich stuck up kids. I always loved many elements of the goth subculture before I really knew about it. I grew up with much of the music and my mom loved horror films and we watched the Adams family and Munsters and read scary stories and loved vampires. Anyways punk and skateboarder culture was also prevalent so I tested the waters with my family and school by starting to get additional ear piercings since I couldn't get face or tongue ones. I started coloring my hair and wearing studded and spiky things and darker clothes. Then had my wicca witchcraft phase so I adopted more gothic withcy style and that resulted in more harassment but I began to stop caring about fitting in and only dressed or looked normal for jobs. Which felt soul sucking.

After high school I got more alternative hair cuts and styles. One time I freaked my friends, family and ex out and shaved my head bald. (no not because Britney) I just wanted to experience it and by that point I was already embracing gothic subculture fully. I found Hot Topic and Torrid but also Ebay helped find some interesting things. My style started kind of punky, went to romantic and vampire goth then I got into cybergoth though I mish mashed different things together as well. Big stompy boots, fluffy leg warmers and spiky goggles. Wanted to get a respirator but never got around to it lol. Most things I liked were black with purple. I came up with The Fairy Gothmother originally as a Halloween costume idea. It became my alter ego and I used it for all gothic forums and usernames.

After I left Michigan and spent some time in California I eventually hung up my cyberlox. I noticed the scene there was very haut, vampire, or psycho and gothabilly. Much less cyber goths at least at Bar Sinister. Das Bunker was where the cybers and rivet heads went more often. I for a time simplified my goth style and even tried getting out of it a little due to a relationship I was in but I was not happy. I couldn't get out of it. I just felt happier and prettier and myself wearing black and doing my thing. So I also decided I was going to fully embrace it and no more trying to fit in or please others for any reason as far as mainstream society concerned me.

I began going into lolita and victorian gothic fashion. I moved to Germany and now I do a mix usually depending on the event or occasions. For the most part I am now settling with Trad goth. Old school DIY, post punk, bat cave and deathrocker style but I also enjoy the haut and victorian styles as well for events. I have wool dread extensions in with my sides shaved and the tassels of hair by my ears and v shaped bangs. Finally committed to the shaved off eyebrows though I plan having nice ones tattooed one day. When I don't have dreads in I have a deathhawk. I flit between romantic, a slight bit of gypsy, a tiny bit of nu goth style, trad and basically have found my comfortable looks. I have acquired some lovely pieces of custom head dresses and stuff for the big festivals where I go all out with feathers, skulls horns crystals and hoops skirts, corsets and in my signature colors. At last Wave Gotik Treffen I changed my style daily daily which is not uncommon. From elegant to trad with my pikes and big hair, mesh, and band shirts from Bauhaus, christian death, and many classic greats.

I basically try styles I like and if it works and I can find things that fit me and flatter me then I adopt it into my many looks. Now that I settled in Leipzig I have access to a plethora of gothic shops and events. theres plenty of inspiration and ideas. If I could make my own clothes I swear one day I will invest in it then I would love to make more custom pieces for myself. The one thing now that makes me happy is I found my tribe. Nothing fills one with much joy more than sitting in a Spontis family meeting for a pike circle and seeing the gruftis young and old looking like something straight out of the 80s. Its surreal!