What got you interested in "Goth"

Charles Crowe

• 2 years later...

I was pretty much born it I guess. I mean I haven't had the opportunity to dress the style too much, but the mindset and music I have enjoyed for years. I tried to deny it because it wasn't normal and yet I never fit in. I always liked the 'dark stuff' and whatnot. Now looking back its kind of obvious with my tastes and all, and then of course there is Nyxiin who has recently been my gateway to new music and styles and whatnot. So I guess I've been goth a long time, but a narrow one while others are helping me broaden my horizons.

I know I went to City Club before the Goth stuff existed, I think. Punk and other stuff like that have always turned me on, so Goth can be hot too. I'm kinda like a stray cat I guess, for whatever reason(s), I guess I like the overall differentness of "this other world" we are all in. Besides I don't fit in in the average wacked out society even though I might be able to play the part that I do. Who knows...

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always been Goth, but was never able to embrace until the last company I worked for "downsized" in 2008.

Being self-employed allows me to dress however I see fit.

So now I'm in the process of finding like minded others to hang with.

:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt say i am goth either... I hate labels... Somedays i like punk or ska... I like dancing to music that means something to me n i can feel in my bones, i like making people realize their misconceptions n broadening the horizons of myself n others, i like trying new things n not feeling like a freak for doing so. I am not afraid to bleed to feel alive n fear ever being "comfortably numb". If that makes me goth whatever... As long as i am comfortable in my own skin i dont really give a shit....

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend in college who was (which means, no doubt, that everyone thought I was just copying her but really she was just the catalyst). It was never really something I thought about before... I've always identified as hippie more than anything, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense, like why I preferred to wear dark colors as a kid and started writing angsty poetry around the age of ten (STEREOTYPES UNITE! lol) and have always had a slightly darker outlook and sense of humor and (add a few more stereotypes here). Now I just call myself "hippie with a goth streak" although my look can vary from day to day (and I've found that whichever one I identify more with on any given day tends to depend on my mood...).

Really I fit in lots of places (although I probably fully fit in nowhere). I can be in jeans at the mall Monday, dressed nice for church Tuesday, done up fancy for some big to-do Wednesday, looking like I belong in a head shop Thursday, cleaned up nice for the office Friday, gothed out on Saturday, and done up for a Highland games on Sunday, and rock it all perfectly comfortably (I've wondered before if people might call me a poser or two-faced simply because I CAN switch around so much and pull out different parts of my personality to fit the situation at hand, but none of it's fake, just different facets of me brought to the forefront). My music preference tends to be the same-- I'm getting a reputation at work among my coworkers because they never know what they'll hear on my Pandora Radio-- classical to choral to Celtic to electronic to metal to goth to oldies to Celtic punk (and when I'm by myself I feel free to go more esoteric like Middle-Eastern and other stuff that would REALLY get me weird looks). I can go from Paganini to Daft Punk to Manson to Pink Floyd all in the same day, lol.

I'm still more likely to listen to the Beatles than Bauhaus, and probably more likely to gravitate toward metal/industrial than some true goth music, and to be honest I spend more time in jeans and t-shirts than *anything* else (mostly because I am too lazy to put any effort into it when I am dragging my arse out of bed at what my night-owl self considers to be a ridiculous hour most days). Unfortunately this means that on my "goth" days my style tends to be what I call "Lazigoth"-- "I'm wearing black and I have black eyeliner on, dammit, and that's good enough." I aim to get better at that, though, though I can't promise to not commit the sin of under-accessorizing-- I tend to never take off my religious necklace, will wear one pair of earrings for months at a time, and very rarely switch out my rings/bracelets/whatever.

Edited by Astraea

Cos the "goth" accept the weird and cynical and the crazy and embrace it. It basks in it. Goths befriend the monsters within. Write/say some sinister quote/remark elsewhere and "norm" thinks you are suicidal/homicidal. Just the most tho, there are some good little "norms" out there who are also basking in all things "goth".