• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cigarettes have killed many a family member of mine..... and I personally (while slightly addicted to second hand smoke) hate being forced to inhale it where I go....

If I am at your house, your party..... fine..... I am choosing to be in it.

If I am in the park trying to get some fresh air.... eh..... I will move and not say anything...

Why shouldn't we be able to smoke in public? if you don't know.... I will state my opinion later.

Let the businesses decide. Making it a law only invites further government intrusion into our lives. You may not like smokers, but tomorrow, they'll be banning something you enjoy. Kind of like in England, where you have to have a license to hug your child in public...

Let the businesses decide. Making it a law only invites further government intrusion into our lives. You may not like smokers, but tomorrow, they'll be banning something you enjoy. Kind of like in England, where you have to have a license to hug your child in public...

Yes... the businesses I do agree with.... public areas not so much

Cigarettes have killed many a family member of mine..... and I personally (while slightly addicted to second hand smoke) hate being forced to inhale it where I go....

If I am at your house, your party..... fine..... I am choosing to be in it.

If I am in the park trying to get some fresh air.... eh..... I will move and not say anything...

Why shouldn't we be able to smoke in public? if you don't know.... I will state my opinion later.

Oh...I give to the point we are at now...but to BAN it...woah...little bit like an infringement to me.

I should be able to smoke while walking down a sidewalk,and yes the government needs to stay the f$#@ out of people's personal lives,I do not smoke at someone's place if they are a non smoker let alone I keep my cigarette smoke away from non smokers,also the coolant/aluminum oxide mist I breath at work IMO is far worse than cigarette smoke,I hate when ppl compare apples and oranges

The best idea some public places have done was have separate rooms for smokers and non smokers.

This one coffee house I go to in Warren has two large rooms one for non smokers and one for smokers,and they have a door that separates them.works very well.

The way I see it.... the reason why people should not be able to smoke in public is the same reason why people should not be able to masturbate in public...

Businesses should be able to determine whether or not their patrons can smoke/masturbate on there own.... I have no issues with that.

smoking bars will probly start popping up. ones who welcome smokers for there buisness. who said it had to be public.. anyways who smokes in the park infront of people, i hope no one, usually if someone lights one up in the park they are FAR away from other souls. or bye other smokers smoking. of course the taxes on cigs are not helping much. lets tax them so they will quit, yah right anybody who has been smoking knows patches and gum dont work. and that the cravings can get bad. smoking costs 150 a month for a pack a dayer. 100 for smart buyers, and 30 for rolling(if you can get past the odd taste change) so we know its a bad habbit. but unless a magical anti-nicotine drug comes out that takes the drug out of the system completely within a few hours its not going to happen

The way I see it.... the reason why people should not be able to smoke in public is the same reason why people should not be able to masturbate in public...

Businesses should be able to determine whether or not their patrons can smoke/masturbate on there own.... I have no issues with that.

I can see where you're coming from on that...but I don't necessarily agree.

As a citizen of a free-country (or should be free...but is far from it) you really have to understand that as a part of that freedom you're going to be exposed to tons of things that you object to. Constantly.

Pink for example...for me. Or preppy girls. Everytime I walk around either Birmingham or Royal Oak I SWEAR that I'm going to get brain cancer just from being exposed to preppy bitches. I'm for SURE that my IQ drops due to this exposure at least 2-3 points. But I still go to Royal Oak knowing that this will happen because those preppy girls reserve the right to be dumb and annoying - we live in America. Just as it is my right to totally blow their minds by how I dress.

If you can't go outside and handle possibly catching such a miniscule amount of cigarette smoke that there's no way it could ever come to impact your health even slightly...a SMALL amount...then America is not your country. I would say you should live in Canada, but since it seems as though even they have more freedom than we do now, I would recommend Afghanistan.

The problem is people in this country want THEIR rights...but they also want the right to not have to put up with other's rights. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want your freedom you should have to put up with the freedoms of other people. If a citizen doesn't and isn't willing to put up with that they should GTFO...not try and change the law.

It should be a free country. So long as you aren't causing any physical/property harm (notice I didn't say emotional because well...that's just stupid. I can't even believe that you can sue for emotional distress :rolleyes:. Sorry...but I come from a place called Buildabridgeandgetthefuckoveritville...so I have no sympathy for emotions) then you should be able to carry on as you please doing whatever you damn well want.

DOWN WITH THIS LAW!

Edit: Since I already know this question is probably going to come from someone, I will answer it: Yes...I believe that we should be able to masterbate in public. I believe you should be able to buy hookers, walk around nude (plenty of other countries let this happen...why not America?), shoot up smack, smoke meth on the corner, and/or kill yourself in public. When I said that you should be able to do ANYTHING YOU WANT that doesn't involve physically hurting someone or property damage/theft...I meant ANYTHING you want.

Edit: Since I already know this question is probably going to come from someone, I will answer it: Yes...I believe that we should be able to masterbate in public. I believe you should be able to buy hookers, walk around nude (plenty of other countries let this happen...why not America?), shoot up smack, smoke meth on the corner, and/or kill yourself in public. When I said that you should be able to do ANYTHING YOU WANT that doesn't involve physically hurting someone or property damage/theft...I meant ANYTHING you want.

heh this gives you a lot more credibility IMO.... kudos....

That being said.... what if a persons right to smoke interferes with an asmatecs right to breath? who's rights take precident.... that can physically harm another.... I have seen people go into coughing fits outside from someone sitting at a table smoking.... not the imaginary ones that bleeding hearts do.

I do agree the victemless actions (such as prostitution) should be legalized.... the problem with meth in the corner is that person may cause others harm while on the substance.

I am with you on one point EMOTIONAL DAMAGE FROM THESE THINGS IS BS

Prohibition (of alcohol) did not strike suddenly - zap—one day you could get a drink and the next day you could not. It settled on the country gradually, county by county, state by state, for the better part of a century. National Prohibition in 1920 was simply the final turn of the spigot.

PROHIBITION: A LESSON IN THE FUTILITY (AND DANGER) OF PROHIBITING

Have we not learned anything from our past?

We all know how well banning alcohol went - right?

I have no desire to prohibit cigarettes, what people do is their own business... as long as they don't make it mine....

I understand what you are saying but what I am saying is this - people in our government are trying to terminate our right to smoke and that is why I posted what I posted. They are not doing it for your health or your child's health but to control and do away with things they do not like.

That is wrong - the politicians need to stop making laws that tell adults how to live and they need to start fixing this messed up country.

Ok let's all just agree that all adults are adults right? We are expected to act a certain way in public and we can all agree on that. So, instead of making more 'laws' why can't it just be that there can be places for smokers and places for non smokers?

It should be that simple.

No new laws - just common sense.

I don't care for this or that and I stay away. Someone doesn't like that I smoke so we don't spend time together.

Problem solved.

I used to smoke, but I don't smoke anymore. I think it should be up to each business to decide if they want to be smoke free or not. That way, people who smoke can continue going to places that allow it, and non smokers can avoid those places and go to places that don't allow it.

I don't allow smoking in my home, but people are free to smoke outside of my house.

I don't like going out places and coming home reeking of smoke. It's not a good smell, ok. There are people with breathing problems, and people who just don't want to breathe the shit in. Having non-smoking and smoking sections usually doesn't do much because smoke doesn't stay in one place - it doesn't obey the invisible line or the doorway.

I used to smoke, but I don't smoke anymore. I think it should be up to each business to decide if they want to be smoke free or not. That way, people who smoke can continue going to places that allow it, and non smokers can avoid those places and go to places that don't allow it.

I don't allow smoking in my home, but people are free to smoke outside of my house.

I don't like going out places and coming home reeking of smoke. It's not a good smell, ok. There are people with breathing problems, and people who just don't want to breathe the shit in. Having non-smoking and smoking sections usually doesn't do much because smoke doesn't stay in one place - it doesn't obey the invisible line or the doorway.

+1

don't ban smoking. as a long time ex-smoker i hate second hand smoke. i avoid restaurant smoking sections and bars because of the smoke but i will fight to the death my constiutional right to smoke if in those places if i wanted to. if people don't want to work or be around smoke they should find another job or avoid those places. the only exception is children should not be captive to second hand smoke due to parents that smoke because they can't get away from it. choosing to go into a bar where smoking is going to take place is an entirely different matter. smoke outside is annoying but not life threatening so i move away.

Ultimately I think the decision should be left up to the business owners. However, if the business is going to have a smoking and a non-smoking section, I think they should be required to have a wall separating the rooms. Having a non-smoking section in a small, open restaurant is like having a non-peeing section in a swimming pool.

Outside, it doesn't really bother me as long as I can step away from the person smoking if I so choose, though I will admit I wouldn't be crying and losing sleep if they banned that as well. As a non-smoker, I've recently noticed that being around second-hand smoke, even outside, makes me more irritable and short tempered with people.

Archived