What's your information fetish?

Msterbeau

I have this thing for reading about copyright and related topics. Partly because it affects me as an artist/photographer, but partly because... well... I just like to read about it. I'm somewhat that way about Mac-related info too.

What topic/info do you have a "fetish" for?

I read soap and shampoo bottles while I shower.....

I don't know why, I just always have.....

Heh. I do that too.

I devour anything that's esoteric or occult. I don't know why, but that kind of subject matter has fascinated me since I was a child.

Heh. I do that too.

I devour anything that's esoteric or occult. I don't know why, but that kind of subject matter has fascinated me since I was a child.

+as many as you'll let me count me as

This goes for ANY spiritual path as well.

WH40K

Some times other role playing games...even if I'm probably not going to play.

Regarding reading shampoo bottles - why does it always say to wash twice? What nonsense! If you were actually a GOOD shampoo, I wouldn't need to wash twice, now would I?

I like to look up hometown papers of places I used to live and read the obituaries. It's important to make sure that I am not dead.

All sorts of spiritual gobbledey-gook.

And celebrity trash magazines. I go bananas for those.

I watch around 10 documentaries a week, on various subjects. I usually just pick something I don't know much about, then spend a week watching documentaries on it followed by encyclopedia articles. If I then am interested in the subject, I go book shopping.

Anything about the quirkier aspects of history. For example, the effects that diseases, food, sex, etc. have had on human history. Or the history of specific things, their use by people, and/or attitudes toward them: mirrors, burial alive, breasts, and table manners to name a few that are on my shelves right now.

I am also fascinated by "freaks" or, more politely, "human oddities" or "prodigies" (although the old time circus freaks considered "freaks" a title of honor). Chang & Eng, Frank Lentini, Daisy & Violet Hilton, Zip the Pinhead, Myrtle Corbin, Betty Lou Williams, Grace McDaniel, the Tocci brothers and many more... I'll read anything I can find on them and the old-time circus culture they lived in. Oh yeah, I pretty much know Todd Browning's Freaks (a truly amazing film that pretty much destroyed his career- definitely a must-see) line-for-line, too. How sad is that.

Anything about the quirkier aspects of history. For example, the effects that diseases, food, sex, etc. have had on human history. Or the history of specific things, their use by people, and/or attitudes toward them: mirrors, burial alive, breasts, and table manners to name a few that are on my shelves right now.

I am also fascinated by "freaks" or, more politely, "human oddities" or "prodigies" (although the old time circus freaks considered "freaks" a title of honor). Chang & Eng, Frank Lentini, Daisy & Violet Hilton, Zip the Pinhead, Myrtle Corbin, Betty Lou Williams, Grace McDaniel, the Tocci brothers and many more... I'll read anything I can find on them and the old-time circus culture they lived in. Oh yeah, I pretty much know Todd Browning's Freaks (a truly amazing film that pretty much destroyed his career- definitely a must-see) line-for-line, too. How sad is that.

YOu might be interested to know that greenfield village is having an exhibit on chocolate and it's role in history.

Geek :tongue:

Music equipment mags mostly stuff about sequencers

I have this thing for reading about copyright and related topics. Partly because it affects me as an artist/photographer, but partly because... well... I just like to read about it. I'm somewhat that way about Mac-related info too.

What topic/info do you have a "fetish" for?

I have a compulsion to photograph arachnids, insects, and plants I have never seen before, and identify the species using the internet. This is why I always have a tape measure and camera handy. Then, after all photos are labeled properly, I put them into their respective photo files, which I have broken down into a system of biological taxonomy. Yes, I am a bit eccentric.

I also tend to keep familiar species of invertebrates for a few days or weeks to observe their behaviors, if I have a free "room" (kritter keeper) and proper diet handy. There's always room at my "Crawl Inn" for new specimens. *giggles*

Inverts and horticulture are my main information fetishes, but as I said, NOTHING is safe.

Archived