• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My irritation has mellowed greatly since I wrote this mini-essay on the qualities of Steampunk, but I am still of the opinion that most of the things people call Steampunk these days hasn't any actual Punk in it. So I call it Neo-Victoriana/Gears and Goggles.

That said, I love Steampunk. The idea of technology striving against society, the moral quandaries that arise with that sudden advancement, and also rigid-body airships. (:

CJ

Since when is latex steampunky...

never mind ill let you enjoy it.

I've found that generally to be the best course.

Although I have, from time to time, been tempted to wade into the fray, knife in teeth.

Anthony.. You need your head examined. :-P

Yeah, jeez. Don't you know that being subtly alluringly flirty and coy is soooo over? So much better if you just say "fuck it", throw all the actual fashion out the window, and err on the side of just fucking showing your tits? Takes all the work out of it and makes it so much better.

Yeah, jeez. Don't you know that being subtly alluringly flirty and coy is soooo over? So much better if you just say "fuck it", throw all the actual fashion out the window, and err on the side of just fucking showing your tits? Takes all the work out of it and makes it so much better.

yay

Shush you! A little overt showage of boobage from time to time never hurt. :starwars:

Variety, people, is the spice of life.

never mind ill let you enjoy it.

Exacty so. So what if it doesn't adhere to some strict interpretation of steampunk aesthetics and materials? Creative expression is what started the whole thing and blending with other genres is pretty much how it has grown and evolved. Stop worrying about what the people who truly like the style are doing, worry that it will spread to the mainstream and become yet another thing for Hot Topic to exploit.

Exacty so. So what if it doesn't adhere to some strict interpretation of steampunk aesthetics and materials? Creative expression is what started the whole thing and blending with other genres is pretty much how it has grown and evolved. Stop worrying about what the people who truly like the style are doing, worry that it will spread to the mainstream and become yet another thing for Hot Topic to exploit.

I do truly love the style, and would like to hold onto it as long as I can, thanks

Too late.

Of course, for those who truly like the style, they won't mind when it blends with the Hot Topic genres and will just enjoy it for what it has become.

Too late.

Of course, for those who truly like the style, they won't mind when it blends with the Hot Topic genres and will just enjoy it for what it has become.

I fear you're right... I'm seeing it pop up in way too many "mainstream" publications.

I fear you're right... I'm seeing it pop up in way too many "mainstream" publications.

And it seems to happen to everything I love.

But I still have my beat up copy of "The Difference Engine".

And it seems to happen to everything I love.

But I still have my beat up copy of "The Difference Engine".

The good thing about the internet is that it allows for very free communication of ideas. Which is also what sucks about it. Hollywood will soon appropriate some Steampunk inspired outfits because they just happen to glimpse it somewhere and that will be that.

The good thing about the internet is that it allows for very free communication of ideas. Which is also what sucks about it. Hollywood will soon appropriate some Steampunk inspired outfits because they just happen to glimpse it somewhere and that will be that.

Like Disney's Atlantis? (:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

steampunk-girl-11-682x1024.jpg

is anyone going to comment on how bad this "outfit" is .

halloween hat, halloween goggles, and silver watch that doesn't look remotely steam punk...all around extremely cheesy.

as for steam punk I think its just ok I do love how creative people can get with it and how artistic the jewelry and accessories can be but I'm just sick of hearing about it. Plus I'm not a fan of the color brown.

is anyone going to comment on how bad this "outfit" is .

halloween hat, halloween goggles, and silver watch that doesn't look remotely steam punk...all around extremely cheesy.

as for steam punk I think its just ok I do love how creative people can get with it and how artistic the jewelry and accessories can be but I'm just sick of hearing about it. Plus I'm not a fan of the color brown.

The goggles were actually purchased at hot topic, I know because a pair was given to me as a gag gift back in like 04/05 when I was into the cyber stuff. Although mine were neon green. I actually found them in the trunk of my car a few months back and painted them copper, adding some metal to try and "steam" them for a "gadgeteer" costume, not sure if I like how they turned out.

The same thing happened with the cyber scene a few years back, so I can relate. I am not a fan of brown either, although gold/brass/bronze/silver/black/white/grey....Totally awesome. I like it because its one of the few things that helps show my creativity, and I love complexity. I am currently on the back burner with alot of my steam stuff, last thing I was working on was my glove...I should finish it and post a pic..